Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cane Creek 40 cartridge bearings – really tight fit?
  • pfweller
    Free Member

I just removed the cartridge bearings from my Cane Creek 40 Series top assembly (ZS44), and really struggled to get them out. The new cartridge doesn’t really want to go in either unless I force it a bit. Is this normal? Should I just force it in, or should I abandon attempts and do something else?

Top assembly: http://store.canecreek.com/p/40-zs44-short-top-assembly?pp=8
    Replacement bearings: http://store.canecreek.com/p/bearing-41mm-black-oxide-pair/headsets_parts_bearings?pp=25

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I just picked up a new Cane Creek bottom assembly (http://store.canecreek.com/p/40-ec44-40-bottom-assembly/headsets_40-series?pp=25) to replace a different one on the bottom, and the cartridge for that slots in fine with no force required.

jairaj

The bearings won’t just drop in, you’ll have to gently push them in by hand but it is a gentle push. You shouldn’t be putting any body weight behind it. Also long as they are revolving smoothly when in the headset cup I should think they are fine.

pfweller
    Free Member

Thanks jairaj! Will do that, I figured that as long as they were revolving freely they would be okay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benpinnick

Sounds like the top cup has been pressed in too hard. Assuming its a ZS top cup, they are quite easy to bend, causing the lip around the edge to roll up, squeezing the bearing. Check out the lip, if the edges appear to be slanted less than about 60 degrees (from horizontal) then you have a problem. Ive seen them collapse from this, so its worth replacing if thats the case… You can also often see that the underside of the lip wont be flush with the frame, it lifts a little. Post a pic if you want a more conclusive diagnostic.

EDIT – Sorry just noticed its a ZS44… Jairaj’s comment on dropping in is wrong in my opinion (sorry dude), the should easily drop in when vertically aligned properly, only if you try and put them in wonky should there be any resistance, and even then its only slight. Ive fitted literally hundreds of ZS44 top assemblies, and none have ever been sticky if clean and inserted straight down.

jairaj

I’d bow down to Ben’s advice. I’ve replaced the bearings a handful of times compared to Benwho fitted 100’s of headsets.

Maybe my headset has been pushed in too hard too? *runs off to check my headset *

pfweller
    Free Member

Thanks for the extra input Ben, I actually just dropped off the frame at the LBS and asked them to check it out when they fit the new bottom assembly, I’ll pop back in and pass on your comment, will get a replacement top assembly if they agree that the one on there is slightly suspect.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek 40 cartridge bearings – really tight fit?’ is closed to new replies.