Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cancer!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Why o why! Our daughters best friends mum. Lovely lovely lady. Had mouth cancer loads of sugery and did so well in her super fast recovery, and now it’s spread to her lungs. Horrible bloody disease! Just been chatting with the wife about it, feel pretty helpless!

z1ppy

It’s horrible, we’ve suffered 3 losses his year due to it.
    What more can you say, just be supportive

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yep it is evil ………….it doesn’t discriminate either …any of us could get it …….

wrightyson
    Free Member

The ladies daughter is ten. Just at that time of life when she’ll need her mum more than anyone else. I so hope she nails it like last time.

scaled
    Free Member

Got an urgent referral for Thursday morning for suspected lymphoma. Loads of fun 🙁

Does mean I had my fastest ever lap of llandegla with a devil may care attitude, goodness knows how fast I’ll be if the tests come back positive!*

Father in law died this year with prostate cancer he’d never told anyone about and cousin is dying from stomach cancer. Surely out family is due a bit of luck soon!

*hoping if I do have it and they fix it I’ll be shit loads faster!

31 tomorrow with a 2 year old daughter too.

Spin
    Free Member

………….it doesn’t discriminate either …any of us could get it

That’s because cancer is us, or at least us gone wrong.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Aah man that’s a shitter! Great attitude tho! Go and smash it and keep putting those quick laps in. Best of luck!

anagallis_arvensis

I had a referral for lymphoma and i was fine. Hope you are as lucky.

brack
    Free Member

Feel for you.

Just had a long walk with my partner…she lost her mum 5 years ago and I lost mine in April.

Long walks do bugger all to help….we seem to be doing lots of long walks at the momment…

But its a distraction until time softens.

neninja
    Free Member

Mates wife has secondary breast cancer – run out if treatment options now apart from radio. Got mets in lungs, liver, brain, skull, vertebrae etc etc. It’s really horrible.

Got a mate who was diagnosed with bowel cancer last year. Been given the all clear following surgery and chemo. Fingers crossed it stays that way they caught it really early.

langylad
    Free Member

Scaled, can’t imagine what you are going through.Sergeant of mine at work had the same 10 years ago, wasn’t a good prognosis and we feared the worst.
    He is now a smuggly retired twunt who has his M.O.T every 6 months and is fine, life is good for him. Chin up fella.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Cancer scares the shit out of me.. Why o why with all the money thrown at research can we not get one over on this horrible disease!!

I lost my dad to cancer 3 months ago at the age of 62. He was diagnosed with stomach cancer but it had already spread to his lungs and kidneys, and he passed away just a month after his diagnosis. It really is a vile, indiscriminate ****t of a disease. Marie Curie & Macmillan were both tremendous support.

Best of luck to anybody out there affected by cancer right now.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That’s a shitter. It’s a horrid disease.

I lost my mum to it was I was 13. The worst thing was watching a very active strong lady basically fade away to nothing. Waiting for the inevitable was the worst thing ever.

Unfortunately I have since lost my nan and an uncle, both of whom I was very very close to (more so after losing my mum). In my uncle’s case it was the drugs that eventually got; his first bone marrow transplant failed but the second one had worked but the chemo had done too much damage. He was only 30 and left behind two little girls one of whom has no real memory of her daddy.

I hope your friend manages to find a way to beat it.

project
    Free Member

But thankfully we have a NHS to provide care free at point of treatment so far, also treatments and diagnosis are becomeing better, every day, and australian DR,s have just developed a blood test to detect early Bowel cancer according to radio 4 today.

Finally my dad and 2 uncles died of cancer, so been there.

bullheart
    Free Member

It is a deeply unpleasant disease.

Keep the faith. At some point in the near future we’ll eliminate the vast majority of cancers. Until then, fight on folks.

pennine
    Free Member

Mother died of cancer. Slowly, over 4 weeks, I Watched her fade away to skin and bones until her organs failed. A grim way to go & in all honesty I willed the MacMillan carers to increase the painkiller dose to quicken it.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Does mean I had my fastest ever lap of llandegla with a devil may care attitude, goodness knows how fast I’ll be if the tests come back positive!*

Mate that’s awful. I know there’s nothing that I can say that will make you feel better and less anxious but many Lymphoma’s have very good cure/survival rates these days.

I hope things work out for you.

Cancer scares the shit out of me.. Why o why with all the money thrown at research can we not get one over on this horrible disease!!

Depending on who you talk to it’s either because of natural selection (we haven’t found drugs that kill the resistant strains that get selected for by chemotherapeutics) or it’s due to chromosomal instability/aneuploidy. If the latter is responsible for the resistance to therapy seen in some aggressive or relapse cancers then the chance of finding some magic bullet cure is very dim. Maybe some kind of surgical microscopic nanobot might consign cancer to the dustbin of history in 2060 if that’s the case.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Think positive, be positive and fight every day, it helps IME. Good luck with all your cancer related issues folks.

benz
    Free Member

Don’t think I know too many people who have not been impacted.

My mum…thankfully surgery and radio got her through and still plenty of life in her 15 years later.

Unfortunately my father in law was not so fortunate nor my uncle.

Scaled…having had the wait for results for Myeloma tests a couple of months ago I love your style….I was a bit of a basket case during the waiting period. Pleased they were negative ‘though. I wish you luck.

To add positivity a couple of colleagues at work are also getting on fine. Lad I work with has just passed 3 yrs after surgery and chemo for bowel (although it took longer than it should have to get diagnosis….). Lady I work with was on last check after 5 years and was told it was back. She is just back to work after second surgery and chemo….her positive attitude is fantastic and she is doing great. Another lad is almost ten years post testicular cancer too.

TiRed

Why o why with all the money thrown at research can we not get one over on this horrible disease!!

Because Science doesn’t always work that way I’m afraid. My sister is taking a drug (Zelboraf), for a target that wasn’t known about ten years ago. For drug development timescales, that is dramatic.

Some cancers (e.g., melanoma) are at the point where HIV/AIDS was 20 years ago; first targeted monotherapies are just coming forward, combination therapy has yet to be approved. Myeloma may be a disease you die with not off.

So not all bad news. Although her pension and life assurance have already paid out 🙁

bwaarp
    Free Member

I don’t even think the new targeted therapies are going to be all that effective….but hey

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cancer!’ is closed to new replies.