• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cancelling Sky, but keeping box to record none sky channels
  • the-muffin-man

Has anyone any experience of doing this?

Do they still charge £10/month for this feature?

I know I’ll get responses saying Humax Freesat box, but I could do without spending £200 at the minute.

And can you still set it to record from Sky app, or does this feature end when you cancel sub.

zerogreg
    Free Member

Think you can buy a free view card off sky – around £20 I think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

even with the freeview card you dont get the skyplus record function.

coupled with the sky freeview having less channels than the regular terrestrial freeview – i threw the box in the skip,.

woody2000

Slight hijack – I’ve got a Technisat HDFS box doing nothing at home which you can attach a USB drive to for PVR purposes. £40 posted?

http://www.whathifi.com/technisat/hdfs/review

shuhockey
    Free Member

When I left they gave me it free for 12 months. I still have sky broadband and phone. Looking at my bill they are charging me the £10 for the recording but taking £10 off my line rental. Plus the broadband is free for a year. So £16.

nealglover
    Free Member

You can’t record anything at all once you have cancelled.

Also you can’t access the stuff you have already recorded.

It just acts as a freesat decoder (less channels than freeview)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It just acts as a freesat decoder (less channels than freeview)

but shows you all the channels you are “missing” too. Annoying when theyre’s something on Dave but you cant view it. I’d just get a freesat box and do away with sky altoghether

smurfly13
    Free Member

Depending on how long you have had Sky you may have had one of the older blue cards with the yellow house on it? If you do still happen to have it, these cards give you the Sky+ functions for free (pause, rewind, record and watched recorded shows) – only on the free channels but saves £10 a month!

They are few and far between nowadays but every now and then one pops up on ebay!

Here for more info
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/found-old-style-blue-sky-viewing-card-sky-features-are-still-working.1419626/

the-muffin-man

Finally got round to calling Sky yesterday – managed to get Variety, Box Sets, HD and keep F1 channel for £27.00 a month, which I can live with.

Give them a call, but be prepared to cancel!

tinribz
    Free Member

Humax freesat boxes plug straight in and do exactly what you’re after.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You should have held out for more muffin man.
    I asked a while ago

the-muffin-man

…there’s always someone who gets a better deal! 😉

jimmy

Can you plug in any freesat box to the sky dish? Im coming to the end of a friends and family deal for 25 instead of 75. Would be happy with freeview + record/pause.

EDIT: *reads posts* so humax is what i want (if Sky dont yield)?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cancelling Sky, but keeping box to record none sky channels’ is closed to new replies.