Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Cancelled SINGLETRACK sub today, due to income minimalisation policy
  • hora
    Free Member

On a wider note I’ll be using the heating a whole lot less this winter. Thankfully we don’t smoke, go out that often anyway and we’ve ALWAYS shopped in the sales for clothes. Probably part of being 70’s children when our parents suffered from the 70’s problems.

Trekster

Wife has arthritis and other health issues so dropping the heating is not really an option in our house. She is already wearing extra clothing to work atm. Tucking herself up in bed with a book is her usual mode in winter tho.
    Same with my parents. Dad has serious chest problems and arthritis. Mum had a stoke and is chair bound so both need as much heating as possible.
    As for all these people fitting wood burners or opening up old fire places I remember the days when we only had one living room fire and scraping the ice off the windows due to the condensation freezing on them!! Plus all the smoke from their chimneys really makes me suffer with my asthma. One of the many reasons smokeless zones were created 👿

Junkyard
    Free Member

You do realise Labour was in power from as early as 1997 don’t you? OR do you think the Tories are making spending cuts/austerity measures because of something that just happened out of the blue?

Or go on. Its Thatchers fault that you and me aren’t Doctors? Yes labour were in power and responsible for the entire global economic downturn triggered by the collapse of the sub prime market in the USA and the way they had been bought and sold in security markets. The fact the Tories were matching the labour spending plans till this happened and praising the Irish and Icelandic economies further demonstrates that it was all just down to labour and if we had a Tory govt there would have been no worldwide economic downturn and it would have been so different.
    Judge the govt in how they responded labour no more cause it hat the Tories did buy there actions will either make weathering the storm better or worse. This is like you blaming the captain of the ship for the storm.
    I would love to have a rational debate with you on the subject but life has taught me that this is not possible.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

hora – Member

Takes glasses off face and slowly rubs eyes.

What? So our own national debt thats been growing for years is from Greece?

Try splashing some cold water on your face as well.

And when you have eventually woken up, you might realise that no one has said that.

If not, go back to sleep 💡

Harry_the_Spider
    hora
    Free Member

Junkyard, agree in part. Its easier to point at someone when the economy goes wrong. Its been going wrong for years with many warning signals however whose to say the Tories wouldn’t have handled it better? No one knows really. We can only judge on what actually happened. Sadly it was on Labours watch.

Theres alot of overspending/vs GDP in many countries. What worries me (more than the US) is Germany and France. Germany backing bonds for the southern member states.

If Germany and/or France go into meltdown it’ll mean massive problems for the UK 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have one of those HTS dead easy to use

GrahamS

I remember the days … scraping the ice off the windows due to the condensation freezing on them!!

So do I. It was 8 months ago. We had about an half an inch of solid ice on the inside of our nursery window. Yay for harsh winters and 100 year old single glazing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its odd many of us will have grown up without central heating and now when I say I dont switch mine on [much] people always ask about my kids – they seem to be oblivious to cold from what I can tell.

druidh
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    I saw the thread title and thought, ‘oh no!’.. then read it and thought, ‘can we use that in an ad campaign?’

Every time we add another mag to the archive the cost per mag for a digital sub gets cheaper.. negative inflation!

Just doing our bit for the economy How about an easy-clickable link for those that might consider swapping from print to digital?

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard, we used to have a burner that used coal etc and an immersion but definitely nothing else!

rocketman
    Free Member

Anyone else doing the same,by cancelling non essential expediture.

Did that years ago. Magazines total waste of money as are any subscriptions that may/may not be used. Grow your own, wear extra clothes if it’s cold ask yourself do I really need that?

Tesco value beans and XTR you know it makes sense.

GrahamS

How about an easy-clickable link for those that might consider swapping from print to digital?

druidh: I just called the Subs fairy (01706 814397) and he sorted it all out over the phone.

hora
    Free Member

The only subscription I’ve ever had was to 2000ad.

ALL bike mags ebb and flow from month to month so a quick flick through in the newsagents tells me whether its worth spending the asking price.

For quite a while now I’ve questioned why I should keep buying newspapers on a Sunday as the content has alot of ads, old/rehashed news etc etc.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

save on the heating bills by burning your old copies of 2000AD on the fire 🙂

unfortuntely i can’t do this myself as my mum binned all mine (over 500 progs) – they’re worth quite quite a bit now as well… 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

The only subscription I’ve ever had was to 2000ad

I’ve got hundreds of them in the loft! 1984 – 2008. Only 6 copies missing.

hora
    Free Member

When my Mum moved house a couple of years ago she binned all mine (save a few* which she missed) including the monthly editions, annuals, specials etc etc.

*I want to get one cover blown up and framed to put in the hallway 8)

GrahamS

For quite a while now I’ve questioned why I should keep buying newspapers on a Sunday as the content has alot of ads, old/rehashed news etc etc.

I haven’t bought a newspaper for years. I can all the interesting stories from the web (i.e. online newspapers), mainly for free.

iDave
    Free Member

Mark

Magazines total waste of money as are any subscriptions that may/may not be used

Thanks for that. Enjoy your free website experience.

I have no problem with anyone not buying our mag. It’s not for everyone and some will like it and some won’t. That’s life. But people like you who post inconsiderate guff like that really boil my wee.

But you won’t be banned and you are welcome to continue to use our free site as you wish. You’ve not broken any rules.

hora
    Free Member

Mark I think he was generalising rather focusing on STW mag.

I ‘graze’, i.e. never stay committed to one mag in any genre. For instance I went through a spell of reading Autocar then one day forgot all about it.

Mark

Well I’m not sure that’s much of an excuse.. If you were in a pub and stood at the bar without a drink and in front of the landlord you stated that all pubs are rubbish and beer is crap and you are better off staying at home and brewing your own I don’t think it’s unreasonable to presume the landlord would not be too happy with that and most would consider it rude and ungrateful.

The opinion is fine. How and where you express it takes a little intelligence and thought.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d not realised I had access to the mag archive, for some reason.

That might have just made my decision on what to do with the massive pile of STW magazines a bit easier.

hora
    Free Member

Hmm true.

In most pubs around my way I think the Pub landlords would probably agree 😆

Harry_the_Spider

I’d not realised I had access to the mag archive, for some reason.

That might have just made my decision on what to do with the massive pile of STW magazines a bit easier.

Mike, weren’t they after an Issue #5 to be cut up and scanned recently? See if they’ll swap it for some bits. 😉

My susbscription is my annual birthday present from my wife’s crazy uncle BTW. It is the only reason that I tollerate him visiting the house and spilling stuff on our carpets.

druidh
    Free Member

Just changed from Print to Digital (well, it will after issue 70). Less clutter….

Anyone in and around Edinburgh want a pile of STW magazines? Back to 2006 or thereabouts.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    Well I’m not sure that’s much of an excuse.. If you were in a pub and stood at the bar without a drink and in front of the landlord you stated that all pubs are rubbish and beer is crap and you are better off staying at home and brewing your own I don’t think it’s unreasonable to presume the landlord would not be too happy with that and most would consider it rude and ungrateful.

but you make money of traffic to this site via advertising revenue and the click through’s, so not quite the same

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got a subscription to Which Magazine… I bloody love it, I do.

If I actually read it and wanted to buy new stuff then I’m sure the £8 a month I pay would be worth it in savings alone… never mind the smug feeling I’d get from knowing that what I’d bought was the best.

rootes1

i fitted a timer to the overnight E7 immersion heater, worked really well as stopping the tank heating up and down over the night.. saved quite a bit fo cash

had two though and both have blown up after about 6 months.. both were from B&Q..think it might be due to power surge issues might see if I can get a better quality one

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I recently started buying Singletrack in Smiths, it’s probably the best bike mag along with Dirt. It was this forum that got me interested in the magazine. I think ~4 quid is steep for a magazine but hey everyone needs to make a living!

PePPeR

rootes 1, the ones you buy from B&Q can be a little pants!

Get one of these, I had one in my last two houses and have just moved and economised by buying a cheapish B&Q one and am now regretting it, next months pay day is getting another one for this house.

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/horstmann-electronic-economy-timer-p-53.html

Oh and it is a shame that people aren’t being thoughtful enough in their expressions about magazines on the website that is provided free of charge for them.
    I’ve cut down on all my subs and this is the only one I keep going as I feel that it gives a little back to the website I spend most of my time on.

Trouble is some of my friends work for the printers of the magazine too! Can’t let them down either!

Junkyard
    Free Member

im with grumpy on this tbh they could send me a blank sheet* fo all I care the website does not appear like magic and the minimal cost of subscriptions is enough for me to pay to keep the website going
    i felt gulity sponging off society and giving nothing back – can I do a mini rant about free loaders etc

but you make money of traffic to this site via advertising revenue and the click through’s, so not quite the same

makes money or makes a profit ? Would be interesting to know what % of costs are covered by the site alone

* it has grown on me and I look fwd to gettng the mag tbh always something of interest in there.

Mark

I think ~4 quid is steep for a magazine but hey everyone needs to make a living!

It’s £4.50 actually.. about the same as an innertube…. or a large McD value meal.

Harry_the_Spider

can I do a mini rant about free loaders etc

Fire away, but if you start a thread about people who take the piss with sick days there is a very good chance that I’ll get a ban.

fatmax

‘Resident Grumpy’…how did Mark get that moniker?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Buy “ugly” fruit and veg. Who cares if a green pepper isn’t symmetrical about its north-south axis?

Which shops price their produce by how ugly it is?

Junkyard
    Free Member

mark – resident grumpy owns this place/mag

handyman
    Free Member

I dry our washing outside in the dry days mygas bill for cooking and hot water family of 5 is about 15 quid a month

Harry_the_Spider

Which shops price their produce by how ugly it is?

TESCO. An ugly pepper is half the price of a buff one. Same with caulifowers, lumpy spuds and too bendy bananas.

binners

I’ve kept my subscription up for years*, particularly when I was unemployed. Plenty of time for reading then 😀

And to anyone slagging off the mag on this site, I think you might want to take a long hard look at yourself. That’s just bad manners!

*despite never receiving my free water bottle 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Cancelled SINGLETRACK sub today, due to income minimalisation policy’ is closed to new replies.