Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Canal Towpath "let me see your permit" aggressive rambler content
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

I use towpaths occasionally to link up trails, always have done, never had an issue.

Today on a wide part of towpath approaching a gent with his wife and kid. Gent steps into my path leaving very little space to get past “let me see you permit, have you got a permit?” I reply “none of your business” in quite a polite tone. Go round the side of him and he shouts some abuse back at me. I don’t rise to rambler rage as it leaves them seething even more 😆

Behind me was a female cyclist, he did the same and stood out in front of her, more aggressive this time “you need a permit to ride along here, let me see your permit” she told him to get out of her way and stop the threatening behavior. Again receiving abuse as she rode around him.

This was a guy with his wife and kids, has he got nothing better to do than police the canal. There were some more riders further behind so not sure what he said to them.

Now this could just be a coincidence posted 2 days ago, but has it released a hornets nest of butthurt ramblers to start preaching about permits again? (i think they were dropped in 2013)

http://road.cc/content/forum/128650-attention-towpath-riders-canal-river-trust-sharing-towpaths-consultation

Section 3.3.3.1 talks about cyclists, the two quoted suggestions are:

Permits, “should be displayed clearly so other users are able to identify and report bad behaviour”

Speed Limit, “If there is a speed limit for boaters there should/could be a speed limit for cyclists”

cloudnine
    Free Member

Extend middle finger.. is this permit in date?

allthepies
    Free Member

The permit thing was removed a few years ago, I would have passed this gem on to Mr Angry and bade him farewell.

ton

no permit needed for any canal path in the uk.

philfive
    Free Member

You used to have to get a permit from British Waterways but that doesn’t exist anymore so not sure if it still applies.

The permit is just a piece of paper and doesn’t have any names, number or anything on it.

angeldust
    Free Member

ignore the imbecile……or push in canal.

As you say, no point in arguing with him, you won’t change his views.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

as said
    https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/faqs/cycling
    you’re now not required to have a bell either.

ThePinkster

Cycle Permits for towpaths were abolished when the British Waterways was dissolved and replaced by the Canal & Rivers Trust (a charitable organization), mainly because it wasn’t worth the expense of policing it.

Blackhound

Should have just shown him your Cannock Chase permit. He wouldn’t have known the difference.

project
    Free Member

Just ask him for his ID and which organisation he works for or thinks he does.

crazy-legs

I actually used to have one of those British Waterways Permits many years ago for moments like that, kept it in my Camelbak. Never used it.

As already said, they were scrapped – very few people even knew about them, they were free anyway and just not worth the hassle of policing it.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Anyone else really up for making one in crayon?

tang
    Free Member

My friend who used to be in a motorcycle ‘club’ that was routinely stopped by the police used to cut out a circle of image from a gentleman’s publication and slide over the tax disc. On inspection the officer would say ‘what’s that?’, ‘A mirror you ****’ was the reply. This could just be a urban myth but that’s what you need for towpath permit nazis.

brooess
    Free Member

I don’t get where people come up with this kind of ignorance! If you’re going to go around ruining your own weekend by picking fights with strangers, at least check you’re in the right first… 😯

It’s definitely ‘take-your-stress-out-on-cyclists’ season in the UK atm

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

“OK – here it is. Ah wait – this is my permit to ride your mum”.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

That blokes wife and kids mist be so proud of their bellend husband and daddy. Sad really.

chip
    Free Member

hebdencyclist – Member
    “OK – here it is. Ah wait – this is my permit to ride your mum”.

Oh wait a minute it’s not a permit its a loyalty card.

jes
    Free Member

I had a similiar situation last year when a gentleman blocked our progress by standing in the middle of the path with an outstretched hand despite riding at walking pace, on a grass verge a couple of feet from the main path.

So we stopped to see what was up and he was quite pleasant in his approach.
    Apparrantly he had just been buzzed by a cyclist traveling quite fast (we had seen the guy and he was going at quite a pace)
    So we had the usual where is your bell, permit, you shouldn’t be on a footpath stuff.

Looked a bit confused when I explained it was a shared use path and part of the national cycle route network and them slightly apologetic as I pointed out the red and blue cycle route sign on a post a few feet away.

However the issue was created by the guy on the bike travelling too fast in a busy, inner town part of the route, conversley we had encountered a number of inconsiderate pedestrians, dog walker, anglers etc deliberatly blocking the canal path over the ride, also very considerate and nice folk from the same groups of users.

So as per usual, there are people with a crap attitude everywhere, ignore them where possible. ?

philjunior
    Free Member

About a year ago I was riding home at dusk with fairly bright lights on as there was a fair bit of wildlife jumping out onto the towpath, and a rather agressive gentleman on a bike coming the other way (with sunglasses on) blocked my path and was complaining that my lights were dazzling him. I found it quite hard to take him seriously.

Some people are idiots. But I must remember the loyalty card one above in case anyone asks for my “canal permit”.

aP
    Free Member

Hello, painfull walking husband and father of children, since British Waterways was abolished and replaced by the Canal & Rivers Trust there’s no requirement to have a license to cycle on tow paths. In the meantime please stay there while I phone the Police as you are holding me against my will which is a criminal offence, rather than the civil offence that is excising you. No, stop right there, the Police are coming, I will be pushing that they press charges, oh, you work in a job that will sack you with a criminal record. Should have thought about it before you set out this morning, shouldn’t you?

takisawa2

The correct answer here is push the interfering plonker in the canal.

Kid cheers.
    Wife embraces you.
    Plonker gets eaten by a Pike.

Win win for all.

martymac

tell him to phone the police.
    then ride off.

racefaceec90

i’m sorry but i would have told him to (beep) off in no uncertain terms.i know it’s not polite or sensible but it’s what i would have done in the moment tbh.

tomhoward

‘Oh you said permit? Well, this is embarrassing….’

*zips up fly*

JoeG
    Free Member

Isn’t this exactly why the GoPro and YouTube were invented? 😆

sangobegger
    Free Member

Thank The Lord for living in the Highlands. Empty most of the time, plenty room and no “don’t go there” nazis. Don’t worry though, we still have plenty dickheads to go round who will happily give you the finger for other reasons, most of which will also make you shake your head.

martinhutch

Wish him a pleasant afternoon, then ride off with some words of sympathy to his wife.

The towpath permit argument is just a mini-version of the road tax argument. Not worth wasting your breath on.

nickjb
    Free Member

I was riding home at dusk with fairly bright lights on as there was a fair bit of wildlife jumping out onto the towpath, and a rather agressive gentleman on a bike coming the other way (with sunglasses on) blocked my path and was complaining that my lights were dazzling him

maybe your lights were dazzling him. For example LED Mtb lights are way too bright for road and path use and need to be dipped when there are other road users around.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Of I tried really hard I could probably find the most disappointing permit ever invented. A .pdf that, after filling in some details (I seem to remember, may just have been email address) that was exactly the same no matter who applied, and you filled your own name in.
    Never actually carried it with me either…
    Good to know it is no longer required, that’s one never enforced technicality gone.

muddy9mtb

I carry one of these for just such an occasion

dudeofdoom

+1 for not picking fights with strangers.

Whole world seems to have a vocal opinion on cyclists.

And the whole lighting issue – there’s always someone moaning about your light being to bright normally because their own is so direly ineffective.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’ve met a lot of muppets who think it’s acceptable to ride towards someone else with their lights on ‘high beam’ and set way too high.

nickjb
    Free Member

And the whole lighting issue – there’s always someone moaning about your light being to bright normally because their own is so direly ineffective your lights are too bright

Fixed. Using bright lights is fine, just dip them for on coming traffic and other road/path users.

muddy9mtb

with the power of lights on bikes these days they can dazzle even from a good distance – strob lights are most annoying. car lights are setup to not do that under normal driving conditions. having said that some high end car lights are equally a pain. commute riders should aim the beam down slightly … but any light is better than wearing sunglasses at dusk 😯

pdw
    Free Member

And the whole lighting issue – there’s always someone moaning about your light being to bright normally because their own is so direly ineffective.

Out of interest, when you meet a car driver who forgets to dip their headlights, do you conclude that it’s your own lights that are inadequate?

muddy9mtb

hmmm we seem to have gone off topic, so next time the rambler asks to see id show them this

stoffel
    Free Member

Leading on from the permit thing; I was told recently that there is a 5mph speed limit on all waterways paths in the UK, and that all cyclists were ‘effectivel’y breaking the law’. As far as I’m aware, there no longer exists such a thing, although there was possible once a speed limit which applied to horses. Anyone know anything more abou tthis?

muddy9mtb

or just give the guy a hug and maybe a kiss for the lady they won’t be expecting that 😆

brooess
    Free Member

stoffel – Member
    Leading on from the permit thing; I was told recently that there is a 5mph speed limit on all waterways paths in the UK, and that all cyclists were ‘effectivel’y breaking the law’. As far as I’m aware, there no longer exists such a thing, although there was possible once a speed limit which applied to horses. Anyone know anything more abou tthis?

Nothing here. And from regular riding through Paddington Basin there’s no signs indicating maximum speed. Whoever told you that invented it. probably in the same vein that some people claim that by riding on the road/not paying ‘road tax’ that cyclists are breaking the law

Canal and River Trust

stoffel
    Free Member

What is the speed limit on the towpath?

We do not stipulate speed limits on the towpath as these cannot be enforced. Visitors should use common sense, with primary consideration for pedestrians, especially if running or cycling. At busy times we advise anyone in a hurry should use alternative routes.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/walking-and-cycling-in-londons-greatest-park/faqs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Canal Towpath "let me see your permit" aggressive rambler content’ is closed to new replies.