Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Canada is cool
  • SaxonRider

Got back from the Great White North a few days ago, and just came across this, in the Guardian.

No kidding, eh?

ads678

Whats that all aboot?

Coyote
    Free Member

Yup. About right.

jimdubleyou

I would imagine parts of it a chuffin freezing right now.

molgrips
    Free Member

The best thing of all – snow.

nicko74

The Graun has been on a love-in with Canada for a while now; presumably because it’s a country where their brand of poorly-researched news and leftie outrage would actually fit quite well.

As a Guardian-reading resident of Canada, I can say the food is good but not as diverse as the UK (a great curry is hard to find; good Thai food is a challenge, and don’t even get me started on what they think count as sausages and bacon over here…).
    Music’s pretty good, but the radio really demonstrates the value the BBC brings to British broadcasting.
    Sense of humour is… a little soft. There’s definitely a lack of British ‘edge’.
    Canadian fashion is a new one. Perhaps that’s a demonstration of the Canadian sense of humour. What you can guarantee is that if you stumble out of bed and into work wearing whatever clothes you find on your bedroom floor, you won’t look out of place.

All of that grumbling aside, it’s an awesome place to live, and I can’t see myself moving back to Britain for a while yet – particularly with the current political morass

DezB
    Free Member

I went earlier this year. It was pretty cool (Cold really, but it was winter) – the food was amazing, the people were lovely (Even when I was swearing at them (cos I is English)) and … Suuns are an awesome band and My Favorite Robot releases some fab electronic music. So ignore the bit about The Weeknd and Drake. And PEACHES!

nicko74

Ha – just seen that page was paid for by the Canadian tourist board. lolz

SaxonRider

I can say the food is good but not as diverse as the UK

Where are you staying?!? Burnt Out Gully, Saskatchewan?!?

molgrips
    Free Member

One thing I always want to do when visiting my in-laws in Wisconsin is just drive northwards to see how far I can get… obviously not due north as that wouldn’t be very far.

bodgy
    Free Member

I have yet to meet a Canadian that I didn’t like.

bodgy
    Free Member

I think it’s a deprecation / humour thing.

DezB
    Free Member

I have yet to meet a Canadian that I didn’t like.

Not met him, but Seth Rogan is mentioned in that article. Can’t stand him!

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect though that in large parts of the country the biking’s probably not up to much.

ocrider

Nicko74, I would have thought that you could get a pretty good curry in Vancouver, but perhaps not then .

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve had good curry in Vancouver, can’t remember the exact restaurant. Also had a decent curry in Whister, slightly different to standard British fare but still pretty good. BC has some great food!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& the Coolest game on earth is Canada’s national sport!

richmtb

Great place. Absolutely loved it when i visited.

Its such a cliche but they really are lovely people.

Garry_Lager

Canada has the highest carbon emissions per capita on earth, more than double the global average per person, the absolute monsters.

sweaman2
    Free Member

^^Source?

Because when I look at this Wikipedia the highest is Qatar 40. Canada certainly isn’t smelling of roses at 13.5 and is double the UK at 7.1 but it isn’t the highest.

Garry_Lager

Sorry boss you’re right, many small countries are higher. Canada is the highest per capita of the 10 highest emitters. Basically of the major industrialised nations Canada is belting out the carbon like there’s no tomorrow.

rs
    Free Member

Canada has about half the population of the uk, calculate emission by land area and the uk will be “more polluting”. In the grand scheme of things, seems like they are both pumping the same amount of shit into the air.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Canada has the highest carbon emissions per capita on earth, more than double the global average per person, the absolute monsters.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Fuel is cheap, everyone drives a huge truck, BC recently scapped it’s emissions testing program, the list goes on.

I’ve had good curry in Vancouver, can’t remember the exact restaurant. Also had a decent curry in Whister, slightly different to standard British fare but still pretty good. BC has some great food!

The curry houses in Whistler are ok, definitely not bad, and definitely different from the UK, but I still find it weird being asked what spicyness I want my curry. Yes, I’d love a 5 chilli spicy Korma please :p

Although I’m living in Whistler, and it’s not really representative of the country as a whole, my experiences here, BC and Alberta have been entirely positive.

rs
    Free Member

Canada has about half the population of the uk, calculate emission by land area and the uk will be “more polluting”. In the grand scheme of things, seems like they are both pumping the same amount of shit into the air.

On the other hand, Canada has more trees to absorb all the CO2, so maybe the uk is a bigger polluter overall… Canada has 4,916,438 km2 of forest area, v 28,650 km2 in the uk (from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_forest_area)

Is emissions per tree better than per capita 😆

sweaman2
    Free Member

The joys of choosing between “Butter chicken” and “Beef curry” 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s around 42 times bigger than the UK, with 1/2 the population. Alberta alone is over 4 times bigger than the UK.
    I went in 2000 & need to go back, friendliest people I’ve met too. (but we were on the West, quite pro British, no idea if the East side folk are as friendly)

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Canada’s per capita ghg emissions are indeed massive. more so than the Chinese and for some reason the government prov and fed are still flogging the fossil fuel exports to try and help China become more green! China is doing a pretty good job on their own.
    Add to that use of food additives banned across Europe, the continued mining,use and export of asbestos and removal of many animals of the protected/endangered list.. Canada ranks pretty low on environmental and health protection.
    Good thing it’s so beautiful 😉

nicko74

sweaman2 – Member
    The joys of choosing between “Butter chicken” and “Beef curry”

😕

It is possible to find good curry, they’re just not as ubiquitous as in the UK. And seeing “fresh seafood” on a menu in Calgary does give one pause for thought – really makes you appreciate the benefits of living on a (relatively) small island.

On the other hand, the space is awesome 🙂

Cougar

I need to visit Canada. It seems to be all the good bits of the US and all the good bits of the UK with all the shit removed from both. I’ve a number of friends over there so I’ve no excuse.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve had a good curry In Vancouver. I live near Bradford, i know a good curry when I see one 😉

People in Toronto are nice, as are people in Banff, Canmore, Calgary and Vancouver. I’ll tell you about the people on Vancouver Island next summer

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I live near Bradford, i know a good curry when I see one

What! You know by just looking?

Anyway, veering off a bit, is Akhbars still ok or has it gone off? & if so, where would you recommend?

molgrips
    Free Member

On the other hand, Canada has more trees to absorb all the CO2, so maybe the uk is a bigger polluter overall

Canadian trees don’t just mop up Canadian CO2. Silly statistic. Plus there are studies showing that tree cover actually increases warming outside the tropics, because the absorbtion of CO2 is cancelled out by the reduced albedo, meaning more of the sun’s heat is absorbed. In the tropics the growth of plants is vigorous enough to swing it the other way.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I popped over to Canada for the afternoon once, it was very nice. We didn’t have time to sample a curry.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Plus there are studies showing that tree cover actually increases warming

I knew there was a way of justifying massive boreal deforestation for the tar sands 😉 [plus shale gas and new pipelines to a lesser extent]

john_drummer
    Free Member

Akbars on Leeds Road opposite The Waggon & Horses?

Haven’t been since their opening night back in, what, 97? I used to live on one if those side streets, wouldn’t dare go within a mile of the area now, hated it with a passion. Here endeth the “don’t buy a nice house in a poor area” lesson

My choice would be Aagrah or Shimla Spice in Shipley, although I’m told that Rajpoot in Shipley is also very good

rs
    Free Member

Canadian trees don’t just mop up Canadian CO2. Silly statistic. Plus there are studies showing that tree cover actually increases warming outside the tropics, because the absorbtion of CO2 is cancelled out by the reduced albedo, meaning more of the sun’s heat is absorbed. In the tropics the growth of plants is vigorous enough to swing it the other way.

Damn! That’s my armchair emissions education debunked!

markgraylish
    Free Member

There is a HUGE Indian* population in Canada. If you can’t get a good curry, you’re looking in the wrong place…

*By “Indian”, I am, of course, talking about people whose ethnicity could be classed as Indian subcontinent which may include other nationalities or second/third/fourth generation expats (before anyone accuses me of something else….)

wallop

Apparently the Canadian immigration website has crashed this morning…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Canada is cool’ is closed to new replies.