Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Canada Goose?
  • benz
    Free Member

How do Canada Goose jackets stack up against similar but cheaper jackets?

Local Costco are selling them notably cheaper than online places.

Thanks.

wrecker
    Free Member

Brilliant but too warm for pretty much anywhere in the UK. Above -5, you’ll be sweating your bollocks off!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As wrecker says, they’re great for Canada.

benz
    Free Member

TBH, just read a bit about Coyote trapping associated with them. The jacket I’m looking at has no fur but I’m not comfortable with the whole trapping thing.

CountZero

TBH, just read a bit about Coyote trapping associated with them. The jacket I’m looking at has no fur but I’m not comfortable with the whole trapping thing.

More people would be concerned about all the ducks wandering around shivering after their feathers have been pulled out to stuff the jackets.
    Bloody expensive, even at Costco, and I thought Arc’teryx were pricey!

hatter

Their body warmers are ace, but yeah, not a bargain by anyone’s measure.

grahamt1980

Saw them in our local costco too.
    Seriously expensive, but no doubt damn good.
    However I would personally spend the money on a PHD or RAB as you will get way more for your money

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Brilliant jackets for the right climate but far too warm for the UK.

I have minus 12 forecast for when I wake up tomorrow and will be pulling out The NorthFace down parka.

loddrik
    Free Member

It seems that 90% of them seen on people out and about are fakes. They are everywhere. The authentic ones are serious jackets though. I’d say they justify their prices far more than Moncler do too.

SaxonRider

FFS, trapping is how many, many Native People in Canada survive. It may not suit mollycoddled European sensibilities, but believe it or not, there are more peoples on the planet with different ways of life and other sorts of worries that those of us who live in Victorian terraces in urban Britain.

And yes, they are better quality, but no, you don’t need one. They’re WAY too warm for these climes.

onandon
    Free Member

Also look a Nobis. I’ve had both and would rate nobis as better quality and don’t look so ‘ explorer ‘

Currently have the cartel.

wrecker
    Free Member

Find something from patagonia, great ecological credentials, great kit. My down sweater hoody is brilliant.

mikey74
    Free Member

FFS, trapping is how many, many Native People in Canada survive. It may not suit mollycoddled European sensibilities, but believe it or not, there are more peoples on the planet with different ways of life and other sorts of worries that those of us who live in Victorian terraces in urban Britain.

Trapping by aboriginal locals, who live off the land, is one thing; paying trappers to do it for industrial usage, based on rather dubious reasoning, is another, and should not be condoned.

yosemitepaul

They’re huge, very bulky coats, and too warm for this country. I got one when in Canada a few years ago. (They are considerably cheaper there). It was fine in temperatures of -30. It kept me warm; or at least I didn’t freeze to death. Over here at +2 it’s far too warm a jacket. Much happier with my Snugpak which cost 20% of the price of the Goose.
    Having said that it does look very cool!!!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I have one (a chateau parker) very warm and i only wear it for 4° and below. mines definitely genuine and i can see why people do fakes. its great for standing around outside on location but does get too warm if it’s 5° +or you are doing anything physical. the bigger/thicker parkers (banff?) are just silly for the U.K.

i find the body warmers and the really short jackets a bit odd though as why would you have something that insulated but have cold arms or a cold waist/bum?

slowoldman

They don’t look that well filled to me (compared to my RAB, North Face, and Mountain Equipment duvets) but I don’t know the comparative fill weights.

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t buy that they are any warmer than equivalent down jackets from Rab etc. They are cut differently but it must all be down to the fill level etc so it can only be as warm as something with comparable fill. I tend to wear a coat even in the summer so I wouldn’t be one to say I couldn’t wear a large down jacket in anything above freezing. I’ve been wearing my full on down jacket for the last month.

The Fjallraven Expedition looks like a pretty serious bit of cold weather kit though. I’d like to try one but I ain’t spending £600 quid on a coat these days. Unlike in my youth when I had cupboards full of Stone Island coats (wouldn’t be seen dead in one nowadays!).

walleater

They do seem to be the douchebag clothing line of choice in Vancouver where ironically it’s as warm as Essex. Sure the First Nations trap to eat and live, but it’s a far cry from having a Coyote trapped for potentially days and trying to gnaw through it’s own leg in order to break free just to satisfy some fashion victim.

MrSmith
    Free Member

They don’t look that well filled to me (compared to my RAB, North Face, and Mountain Equipment duvets) but I don’t know the comparative fill weights.

I don’t buy that they are any warmer than equivalent down jackets from Rab etc. They are cut differently but it must all be down to the fill level etc so it can only be as warm as something with comparable fill.

i also have a RAB jacket with stitch through pertex outer and high fill power down (900?). the Canada Goose is warmer but then they very different kinds of jackets.
    the down in the Canada Goose is actually of a lower fill power as it’s meant to be more robust.
    I i want to wear my warmest coat it will be the CG not the RAB

they do make compressible down jackets but no idea how they compare, i presumed this thread was about the parka coats with fur hoods.

i understand why people like to dislike them though 😉

SaxonRider

Sure the First Nations trap to eat and live, but it’s a far cry from having a Coyote trapped for potentially days and trying to gnaw through it’s own leg in order to break free just to satisfy some fashion victim.

Your experience is limited to Vancouver? Believe it or not, Canada Goose parkas are worn across the country by people who actually need them.

Incidentally, when I lived in Northern Saskatchewan for 5 years, I didn’t know any white trappers. Everyone involved in the practice was of the Cree tribe, and doing it in order to live.

bartyp
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve been wondering about these, as there seems to be a fad for them at the moment. Had no idea they were so expensive. I’m sure many people are wearing them as fashion accessories, in the same way they drive Range Rovers etc. I doubt many see anything below actual freezing.

I need to replace a very tired old Rab down jacket. It’s almost 20 years old! What should I be looking at? No problem about spending a bit; if it’ll last me half that I’ll be more than happy! I’m quite soft, like Loddrik, when it comes to cold, so I need something proper warm. And it’ll be worn around town (I’m not a Coyote trapper), so I don’t want it looking too outdoorsy. What’s out there?

matt_outandabout

I would be more bothered about down source – live plucking is where most down comes from.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=37607

plumber
    Free Member

when I lived in Northern Saskatchewan for 5 years

really sorry to hear this – I think I’d have chopped both legs off to escape that hateful place

plumber
    Free Member

https://uberfunction.com/smart-functional-jackets-men.html

These are excellent – choose your style and order – free delivery to UK in about 2 days normally

Both my brother and I love ours and much more city than mountain

comes with reflective strips all round if you are worried about not being seen in the dark

DrJ

How DO Moncler justify their prices?

benman
    Free Member

I would be more bothered about down source – live plucking is where most down comes from

Errr… No it isn’t. Most down is a by-product of the meat industry.

Some of the uber-quality downs from non-ethical suppliers are live plucked. Most brands worth their salt will be sourcing their downs in an ethical way now. It would be commercial suicide not to.

wrecker
    Free Member

Live plucking is illegal apparently (in the US and europe), so I hope that nobody does it.
    TNF, Rab, CG and Patagonia all make statements that they do not use any live-plucked down. Uniqlo won’t commit and Moncler had a scandal recently and are intending to do something about it.

SaxonRider

really sorry to hear this – I think I’d have chopped both legs off to escape that hateful place

Not sure if kidding… 😐

voodoo_chile

Down is great for dry climates but any damp it renders it almost useless ….Canada goose like moncler just fashion incorporating outdoor technology overpriced average kit …go for synthetic insulation with correct layers underneath works so much better in the uk.
    You see people wearing Canada goose around here when it’s 20 degrees and then they change them every few months ….jackets with thattemrature rating should last 10 years as it should only be worn about 6 weeks of the year

ericemel
    Free Member

If you are looking at pure performance, then others are equal/better/cheaper. If you want some street cred – then its probably the best to have.

I have no issue with the latter – so don’t take it as a negative statement.

walleater

Your experience is limited to Vancouver? Believe it or not, Canada Goose parkas are worn across the country by people who actually need them.

Incidentally, when I lived in Northern Saskatchewan for 5 years, I didn’t know any white trappers. Everyone involved in the practice was of the Cree tribe, and doing it in order to live.

People ‘need’ trapped Coyote wrapped around their head? Well you learn something every day I guess! What percentage of CG clothing is bought by people who ‘need’ it I wonder? 0.05%? I’m OK with First Nations trapping for their own use and small scale business. I don’t support it as such but their sources of income and resources are pretty narrow. It’s the people who wear trapped fur for fashion are the ones who should spend their days in a leg trap and see what it feels like….

tang
    Free Member

Could always get one of these:
    http://themountainfactor.com/men/jackets/fjallraven-mens-expedition-down-parka-no-1-dark-grey
    On sale for 1k! Synthetic fur. Seriously though I buy Patagonia but do like Fjallraven.

stanfree
    Free Member

I have no experiance of Canada Goose jackets but own a napapjiri Skidoo and a North Face McMunro both of which are cheaper. They are both seriously warm and look cool too. 😉

voodoo_chile

North face mcmurdo stanfree , nice jacket good for everyday use if you aren’t moving ..got one 12 years old still as new cos I only wear it when it’s really cold

BadlyWiredDog

I need to replace a very tired old Rab down jacket. It’s almost 20 years old! What should I be looking at? No problem about spending a bit; if it’ll last me half that I’ll be more than happy! I’m quite soft, like Loddrik, when it comes to cold, so I need something proper warm. And it’ll be worn around town (I’m not a Coyote trapper), so I don’t want it looking too outdoorsy. What’s out there?

Haglöfs 1914? This, but I guess it all depends on what you view as aesthetically acceptable and how much you want to spend. If you’re not looking at packing something down to carry in a pack, really expensive, high-loft down doesn’t really matter, just lots of it.

The North Face does some relatively affordable ‘heritage’ type insulated stuff – this sort of thing – but the brand has a low ‘outdoor hard-man credibility’ quotient if that bothers you.

Or Berghaus now has a big range of down ranging from quite serious stuff to quite not serious.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s the people who wear trapped fur for fashion are the ones who should spend their days in a leg trap and see what it feels like….

Well said.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Canada Goose?’ is closed to new replies.