Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Can you use a compass?
  • ransos
    Free Member

I do know how to use one, but only because I was in the scouts. Given the number of people who might need to know, and the availability of GPS has made this a niche?

That said, I was possibly a bit too pleased with myself recently when I triangulated my position on a Welsh hillside by using two landmarks.

Spin
    Free Member

That said, I was possibly a bit too pleased with myself recently when I triangulated my position on a Welsh hillside by using two landmarks.

Surely you biangulated if you only used 2 landmarks? And if you can see landmarks you shouldn’t really need to be using a compass to work out where you are. 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

I looked at the route on my phone, memorised it and set off…

ransos
    Free Member

Surely you biangulated if you only used 2 landmarks? And if you can see landmarks you shouldn’t really need to be using a compass to work out where you are.

Nah, I drew a triangle on the map and everything… it took longer and was less precise than using a GPS, but that’s not the point now is it!

aracer
    Free Member

Surely you biangulated if you only used 2 landmarks? And if you can see landmarks you shouldn’t really need to be using a compass to work out where you are.

I’m not sure if the winky means you’re not serious, but Poe’s law applies – if you’re taking two back bearings you’re making a triangle, you try determining exactly where you are on a featureless hillside using landmarks in the distance without a compass.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Nah, I drew a triangle on the map and everything… it took longer and was less precise than using a GPS, but that’s not the point now is it!

That’s not triangulation.

That’s plotting 2 bearings to get 2 position lines and a position. It’s navigation but not triangulation.

triangulation definition(in surveying) the tracing and measurement of a series or network of triangles in order to determine the distances and relative positions of points spread over an area, especially by measuring the length of one side of each triangle and deducing its angles and the length of the other two sides by observation from this baseline.

aracer
    Free Member

…I don’t think I’ve ever triangulated personally, generally there’s only doubt over your position in one dimension (because you’re following a path or a ridge) and a single bearing is sufficient to resolve that. CBA with drawing on the map either!

ransos
    Free Member

That’s not triangulation.

That’s plotting 2 bearings to get 2 position lines and a position. It’s navigation but not triangulation.

Using a map, compass and landmarks to identify your position is not triangulation? That’s not what I was taught…

aracer
    Free Member

Except it is. Just because somebody else has already measured the distance and angle of one side of the triangle doesn’t change that. ransos might not have drawn the accurately surveyed third side of the triangle but it still exists (on the map).

slowoldman

generally there’s only doubt over your position in one dimension (because you’re following a path or a ridge)

Except when you’re not.

ransos
    Free Member

From Merriam Webster:

any similar trigonometric operation for finding a position or location by means of bearings from two fixed points a known distance apart

That’s what I did, wasn’t it? As aracer says, the two landmarks are a known distance apart because they are on the map.

edlong
    Free Member

I know it in theory and I’ve done it, but it’s been so long since I’ve needed to I’d have to look at the map key to work out how far, and which way, to adjust for the grid / mag difference.

Thinking about it, I doubt I’ve had cause to actually take a bearing this millenium.

stevextc
    Free Member

Except it’s not…. it’s a pretty basic life skill.
    We only had smartphones a decade or so… what exactly did these people do before?

I’m good at memorising the key points on maps because of practice… but its just very basic knowing what to memorise.. like in St Petersburg knowing I needed to follow a road/river until a bridge then the next landmark being a big onion dome or football stadium etc.

One thing I noticed in India is everyone uses landmarks… even in addresses like “2 streets from the power transformer across the small river towards the hill – number 44”

GrahamS

Think so….

Not had to do it since I was in the Scouts or Army Cadets, so I’d probably struggle on the finer details but I’d be going the right general direction. Give or take 45° 😀

My 7yo is in Beavers and her mum is volunteering as an assistant leader, so no doubt I’ll get some revision in the not too distant future.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Isn’t that called a cocked hat rather than triangulation?

stevextc
    Free Member

YOU are the 3rd point of the triangle.

rickmeister

I can find North using the sun and a wristwatch…. ha HA!*

*Clouds, night time and a digital watch could cause issues….

GrahamS

I can find North using the sun and a wristwatch…

Handy skill but essentially useless in Scotland 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

No it’s not. If you intend on being in the middle of nowhere on a regular basis then it is very useful, but for the majority of us it is not useful.

We only had smartphones a decade or so… what exactly did these people do before?

When I rode off-road lots I got all my maps from MTB Magazine – I would just rip it out, go riding and read the instructions if required. Yes we got a bit lost a few times but nothing terminal.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is triangulation – two points on the map, you’re the third one – triangle.

aracer
    Free Member

My 7yo is in Beavers and her mum is volunteering as an assistant leader, so no doubt I’ll get some revision in the not too distant future.

It will be a while yet, I’m sure they don’t do compasses in beavers and I don’t think properly in cubs either (at least my lad who is about to leave cubs never has). I certainly first did it with scouts.

Except when you’re not.

Extremely rare that you’re not following some sort of line feature in circumstances where there is sufficient visibility to take a back bearing. Even if that’s something like following a contour line using an altimeter! At some point you might use the compass to provide that line, but in such circumstances I’d probably not be bothered about exactly where I am along it. I’d be surprised if I’ve not done more nav through trackless terrain than anyone else on here, and actually it’s surprising how much you can do without a compass given a good map and sense for terrain (I’ve used a compass far more for orienteering than anything else, in which case you’re certainly not taking traditional bearings – I use a compass without a rotating bezel)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I can use one, but it’s hardly surprising if Joe Public generally can’t is it? Why would they know how if they have never needed to use one and are never likely to?

That said, I’d like to think that a lot of people could figure out the basics if they messed around with a map and compass for 15 minutes.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I can sort of use a compass. Following a bearing and turning the bezel on the map is fine. But i come unstuck when i get part way down that bearing and find a feature i need to go round. Screws everything up… so i avoid going out if it’s crap weather and route is not known or marked.

How do you get better at it? Without trial and error/ involvement of mountain rescue…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Is it? Really?

Swimming. First Aid. Yes.

Using a compass? Nah.

rene59
    Free Member

My dad taught me when I was young, I also got taught in Geography in school (whether this was part of curriculum or just a good teacher, not sure). I love maps though, always have done always will. Even though I have a GPS I still use map and compass out in the hills as it’s better and leads you to explore more. Too many people just follow a plotted red line on a tiny GPS screen and miss the bigger picture.

whitestone
    Free Member

Cocked hat is when you have three lines from distant points intersecting and since you never get the angles absolutely correct they invariably don’t cross at a single point but form a small triangle – the cocked hat.

If you are in mist/cloud/whiteout then you can use the aspect of the slope you are on to get an idea of where you are. I’ve only ever been “lost” twice in the Lakes, both times in the Fairfield area. The first time I wasn’t sure if I was on the Rydal side or the Seat Sandal side of the ridge (dunno how I’d got where I was) – simply knowing that I was on a western slope meant I simply had to contour to the right to find the path down towards Grisedale Hause and Grisedale Tarn.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a basic need for any sail racing or cruising.

I’m not amazed most folks can’t use one, not really a requirement to go to the shops is it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cubs, scouts then school CCF then yachting. So yes. Also can use a sextant. And have a collection of slide rules including spiral and circular. So why can’t I find a hot woman? 😳 😀

kilo

No and I can’t swim either, I’m stuffed if I’m lost at sea on a boat which then sinks,

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve never used a cocked hat, but have used aspect of the slope a few times. Last time was on beinn dorain in a total white out just to not end up in the wrong valley with a massive walk out

GrahamS

In case anyone is interested:

Map reading skills: How to use a compass

aracer
    Free Member

Now that I would dispute – I’ve done plenty of sail racing and never used a compass during one.

Spin
    Free Member

Last time was on beinn dorain in a total white out just to not end up in the wrong valley with a massive walk out

Many years ago we cocked up on Beinn Dorain and ended up in the wrong valley with a massive walk out…

bikebouy
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Now that I would dispute – I’ve done plenty of sail racing and never used a compass during one.

Dispute it all you like.

Plot me a course to the Canaries from…ohh, Hamble.

funkmasterp

Used to know how but I think I’d struggle now. Then again I have no need to do so. Don’t do any hill walking and when out on the bike I can normally find my way or ask someone for basic directions.

13thfloormonk

Bloody Beinn Dorain…

When I was practising my navigation skills, in particular timing distances, I predicted we would reach the summit of Beinn Dorain in 15 minutes, based off where I thought we were (it was misty).

15 minutes later a substantial cairn looms out of the mist and I allow myself a moments smugness, which my companion grudgingly accepts is warranted.

Then the mist lifts and we see the rest of the hill extending beyond. I had successfully navigated us only as far as the Sassenach’s cairn, so called because apparently Sassenachs can’t navigate in the hills… 😳

aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure I could, but it’s not really required when going round the cans.

darrell
    Free Member

Yes I can

and as a Geologist and I can draw up the maps as well

bikebouy
    Free Member

So, how would you decide that the line is biased or perhaps where the windward mark is 1nm away in choppy conditions? Or perhaps Championship event RO’s give the course vector in..ohh.. hand signals or smoke or maybe shine a light on it.

RTC short course racing is easily done without a compass, if you know the course and where the marks are. Add in an Open Meeting where competitors new to the water are racing and the RO will always give a compass vector to the windward mark.

You’ve no need to pick up on anything I’ve mentioned, I’ve ran Olympic Qualifiers and all sorts of World Champs as RO. Raced RORC events for the last 25 years (won loads), multiple World Champs in Small and Big boats, including 7 ARC’s..

But hey, the RYA Day Skipper onshore course page two outlines what a compass is, and how to use it.

Blah, di..blah.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, I can use one, but in 15 years of proper mountain biking I can honestly say I’ve never actually had to take a bearing.

Used to do a bit of hiking which required it, as we were always off paths, but no need any more really.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Can you use a compass?’ is closed to new replies.