Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can you use a Blackspire Stinger without a bash guard as a SS chain tensioner?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

…apologies if this is a daft question, but do you need to use the Stinger with a bashguard?

I'm trying to decide between bb and dropout tensioners.
    Since none seem to be coming up in the classifieds I might have to pay retail for one so I want to get it right!

Cheers,
    Adam

slowrider
    Free Member

if your chain line was good you could probably get away with it. my only concern would be if you dont have iscg mounts then it would have to be on your bb cups. the amount of torgue you put on it may make it rotate or stretch/ damage the threads in your frame.

dropout tensioners can of course shift too but it you are runnnig them on a frame with a replaceable mech hanger then the damage is less significant i guess.

mike_check
    Free Member

Problem with the BB mounted ones is that you have to set the position before tightening all your BB and cranks etc (or gently knock it into place with a hammer once fitted!) and the direction the chain wants to rotate the device is the direction that loosens the BB. Did a temporary SS on a mates bike with an MRP bottom roller and after a while it worked loose and the chain kept coming slack.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Ta, that's really helpful.
    No ISCG mount so it looks like dropout mount is the way to go…

slowrider
    Free Member

i would personally recommend trying a reluctant half link chain on its own before looking at tensioners. ive only set up 3 SSers so couldnt speak with any authority but so far ive not needed to use any tensioning on any of them.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I am running my SS with a Stinger at the moment and the first outing wasnt very successful it kept slipping loose however after taking off the crank and tightening up the bb it 'seems' to be working better but I will reserve judgement until its had a proper ride on Thursday. Worst case it comes off and I get a rear mounted tensioner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can you use a Blackspire Stinger without a bash guard as a SS chain tensioner?’ is closed to new replies.