Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Can you uncontaminate brake pads??
  • scandalous
    Free Member

something is obviously up as put new pads in the spyres and, after a wash and polish of the bike when I can only think that spray lube got on the rotors / onto the pads, they are now squealing terribly!

Also no power on the back and badly overheating!

Should I bin them off and get new ones or can I ‘uncontaminate’ these ones??

Will the rotors also have to be replaced??

Thank you!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

You have to decontaminated the rotors but no need for replacement of them. Pads I have limited success at decontaminating them normally easier to replace.

Jamie
    Free Member

Will the rotors also have to be replaced??

Nope.

Just use some Isopropyl to clean them up.

Pads…well, sometimes it’s just easier to replace. The Spyres use the same as Shimano M515/M525, so just get some cheapies from your usual supplier…or Disco etc.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve had success putting contaminated pads and rotors in the oven. My housemate was not impressed by the stink though.

cdoc
    Free Member

I found a great way to decontaminate pads after a friend got oil all over my old hope fourpots. No way was I about to replace eight pairs of pads!
    After a brainstorming session, we decided to encase the pads in soft modellers clay and bake at 200c for an hour or so, then tap the bulk of it off and brush clean.

The idea is that the oil would be drawn out into the clay during baking process.

Worked a treat!

As for rotors, just clean well and wipe with alcohol.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Won’t work with bloody shimano mineral oil though….

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

A long hill and a steady nerve…

PhilO
    Free Member

Soak in alcohol, put somewhere well clear of combustibles, apply match.

Allow to cool.

Repeat.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Surely that’s a great way of warping them?

madjak
    Free Member

Spray can of clutch and brake cleaner should sort them.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Sounds daft but I’ve had success with an overnight soak in Coke (full fat, no diet/zero muck!) then refit and try to get some heat into them.

Not sure I’d drink the stuff though…

hammyuk
    Free Member

not with shimano – threw them out as it was cheaper for new pads than the cleaner 😉

dirtydog
    Free Member

Sorted a few on an electric hob by heating pads until they stop smoking, no one died or got injured.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Decontaminate with fire

leffeboy

I rub mine on some sandpaper on a flat surface and then blowtorch them.

And the same with the brake pads…

Seems to be the only thing that works for me

TheDTs
    Free Member

Hold in the flame on the cooker with a pair f long nosed plyers till they stop smoking, extractor was on.

sillyoldman

As above – stick them under the grill (with all windows open)… until they stop smoking.

Never had a problem. Works with any oil.

tomhughes46

+1 for the IPA + blowlamp approach but I can’t recall what they were contaminated with.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Stuck mine on the gas hob for 15 minutes a fortnight ago after my front brake wasn’t working. Now good as gold with no new pads etc.

I’ve also got the Hope Disc Brake Cleaner – not sure if that works but I spray it on rotors and hope … might be like snakeoil in a can though.

alexdodd
    Free Member

Yeah lots of the above methods have worked for me. Mostly clean with alcohol, on a gas stove or hot open flame, watch them glow! Let them cool, and maybe repeat. Worked absolutely fine for me 🙂

scandalous
    Free Member

cheers chaps!

home alone next week and amongst other more fun things planned, I shall also play with fire

possibly after having a few drinks

RustySpanner

Nice big hill, bit of speed, sorted.

Even works after emptying half a can of GT85 over each brake.

oxym0r0n

Trp specify not using brake cleaner so be careful but as above – cooks blow torch worked well for a friend of mine to sort pads

tomhughes46

Toolstation brake cleaner is £2.25 or thereabouts. Good for rotors.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Can you uncontaminate brake pads??’ is closed to new replies.