Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Can you think of anything more ironic than this?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26046696

Don’t tell anyone about it. It’s a secret.

noteeth
    Free Member

It’s carrying all our private medical records – that’s what “they” are not telling you.

brakes
    Free Member

It just makes me wonder how “the most advanced aircraft ever built in Britain” compares to the the most advanced aircraft built in other countries.
    Is it in the top 5? the top 10?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

I would tell you the answer, but it’s a secret.

crikey
    Free Member

…and it’s already 4 years old.

scaredypants

It raiaiained, on my wedding day. Pretty sure that beats your plane story

Trekster

noteeth – Member
    It’s carrying all our private medical records – that’s what “they” are not telling you.

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    It’s not. MrsT has not given permission 😉

legend
    Free Member

MrsT has not given permission

Mrs Thatcher is flying it??!?!

andyl
    Free Member

For the RAF the term “drone” is a misnomer. But “killer robot” would be even worse.

😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All I needed was a knife. Spoons. So many damned spoons.

andyl
    Free Member

Can’t wait for someone to bring out a scaled down RC version 😀

rickmeister

So its a secret like that top secret nuclear sub that bumped into the coast near Skye and was venting steam in full view of everyone for days….

Or secret, like the location of the top secret Top Gear test track ….

samuri
    Free Member

“In three years, Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computer systems. All stealth bombers are upgraded with Cyberdyne computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they fly with a perfect operational record. The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online on August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.”

Skynet fights back.

nicko74

I was on a flight the other day, all paid up, and then they went and told me I could have got it for free. Irony doesn’t even cover it

noteeth
    Free Member

Can’t wait for someone to bring out a scaled down RC version

Given the endless out-sourcing fug-ups of MOD (Crapita running recruitment being a recent & shining example…), I can’t help but think that much of it would be better (& more conscientiously) done by Airfix. The detail will be bang-on – just up-scale the procurement.

scaredypants

noteeth
    Free Member

Don’t tell him Pike!

parkesie
    Free Member

Skynet already exists but shhh dont tell anyone its top secret.

khani
    Free Member

That secret nuclear bunker always makes me giggle when I drive past.. 🙂

project
    Free Member

Air Vice Marshall Sue Grey, the director of the RAF’s Combat Air, admits the aircraft is capable of flying itself but she stresses there “will always be a man in the loop”.

Because a woman couldnt reverse park the expensive toy/murder weapon.

CountZero

But over the past few years there has been no publicity surrounding its development.

Really? That’s astonishing, considering I saw pictures of it, and read about it last year sometime, possibly even earlier, and it was called Taranis then. It was probably a secret to the article’s author, ‘cos they were playing Drone Wars™ © ® on their PS3
    Ah, yes as it says further down:

Taranis – named after the Celtic god of thunder – was first unveiled BAE Systems in 2010.

It was a glitzy ceremony in an aircraft hangar, with moody music and flashing lights. Rather odd given that it is supposed to be a “classified” or top secret programme, partly funded by the Ministry of Defence.
    They’re hardly going to be posting up daily reports on it’s Facebook page, are they?
    Another non-news feature, really.

Jamie
    Free Member

Personally, I call troll.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Is this another step in the photoshop/papier mache arms race?

I thought North Korea already won that, closely followed by Israel…

JoeG
    Free Member

In order for it to be considered “advanced” it must meet the following criteria:

1. Waaayyy over budget. A multiple of 3x or more is considered the minimum.

2. Waaayyy behind schedule. Advanced things take at least 2 to 3 times as long to develop as originally projected.

3. Cannot meet original performance specifications, it is so cutting edge.

It is a little known fact that the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter was actually started during WW II! 😉 Now that’s advanced! :mrgreen:

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

wikipedia – development of UAVs was a key part of the UK’s Defence Industrial Strategy, which was announced in December 2005

wikipedia – A scale model of the Taranis UCAV on display at the 2008 Farnborough Airshow.

Hasn’t been secret, ever.

It just makes me wonder how “the most advanced aircraft ever built in Britain” compares to the the most advanced aircraft built in other countries.

pretty comparable to other UAVs I’d guess.

wikipedia again Northrop_Grumman_X-47B…

See also

Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
    AVIC Sharp Sword
    BAE Taranis
    Boeing Bird of Prey
    Boeing Phantom Ray
    Boeing X-45
    Dassault nEUROn
    EADS Barracuda
    General Atomics Avenger
    Lockheed Martin Polecat
    McDonnell Douglas X-36
    MiG Skat
    Northrop Grumman RQ-180

MrWoppit
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

I think you fail to understand the term ‘secret’. You know that MI6 exists but could you tell me what specifically they’re working on?

The delta wing/stealth shape concept is common knowledge. You try and google the specifics of the control systems/etc that Taranis runs.

But I do like the ‘secret nuclear bunker’ 🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

So its a secret like that top secret nuclear sub that bumped into the coast near Skye and was venting steam in full view of everyone for days….

Well that didn’t happen like that.

Wasn’t there for days and wasn’t venting steam.

Speeder

MiG Skat

chuckle 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. is this thing autonomous or just remotely controlled?

andyl
    Free Member

Both I believe. But they don’t like to let people know it may be the former because of Terminator and legal implications.

Is it just me or is the front ‘window’ like something out of a sci-fi film? Can’t place it, was either a plane or a robot or something with a triangular ‘face’

They do seem to have copied an awful lot from the f117 and B2, especially the undercarriage flaps.

rickmeister

D0NK

They do seem to have copied an awful lot from the f117 and B2, especially the undercarriage flaps

so is that a “That stealth drone looks a lot like a stealth fighter and a stealth bomber” comment? 😉

tomhoward

I believe the film you are refering to was ‘stealth’

Utterly forgettable film to be fair.

clubber
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    So.. is this thing autonomous or just remotely controlled?

There’s actually not that much difference. The answer though is both.

GrahamS

rickmeister: I’ve been there – it’s worth a visit – very interesting place.

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/scotlands-secret-bunker-p254671

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bong! This is today’s Not News:

Stealth things look stealthy.

Bong!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Can you think of anything more ironic than this?’ is closed to new replies.