• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cb.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can you tell if these sleepers are food safe?
  • zippykona

Has a thin black coating on them which doesn’t smell.
    Builder has supplied them. They have electric cable secures on them so can’t imagine the previous owner was too bothered.

Davesport

I wouldn’t eat them 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks hellishly tough

ski
    Free Member

Are you planning to use them for a raised veg bed?

zippykona

Yes on the food front. They are 2.4 metres long should I be able to lift them easily if they are hard wood?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have they been used as sleepers? Do they have the footprint of the rail chair on one side, and gravel impressions on the other?

I can lift one end of a pine sleeper, though I don’t like to, having borked back and knee. Tropical hardwood – no chance.

ski
    Free Member

They are 2.4 metres long should I be able to lift them easily if they are hard wood?

If your first name is Arnold,then maybe, I struggle with three foot chunk of hardwood tbh 😉

I would ask the builder where he got them and what exactly have they been treated with(creosoted?), myself, I would avoid near veg, but that’s just me.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve read a few times that genuine railway sleepers have all sorts of chemical treatments and dropping on and in them, but that may be scare-mongering.

I did once visit a house where a previous occupant had allegedly used old railway sleepers from a nearby line in his Aga/range thing. There was all sorts of black crap seeping out the chimney stack, so I’m not sure I’d risk it.

footflaps

Railway sleepers weigh about 100Kg IIRC.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m no expert, I believe the railway company can use nasties as preservatives, the sort that ordinary people can’t. I’m not sure these are genuine sleepers, hence the question about marks. Me, I’d use them with black polythene stapled to the inside with joins overlapped. This would keep sleepers and soil apart, just in case, and might help the sleepers stay drier and thereby last longer.

slowoldman

Are you contemplating using them as chopping boards or plates?

MussEd
    Free Member

Massive chopsticks?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Massive Chopsticks

OK

[video]http://youtu.be/0Yu62StlsMY[/video]

Onzadog
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member
    Massive Chopsticks
    OK

Very well done sir.

welshfarmer

They may be untreated oak? I bought a pile for building with. Made all my window frames and lintels out of them. I think if they had been treated you would not be asking the question! Give us a photo of the end grain and we can have a better stab at guessing the wood type.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If they’ve been pressure treated it will have been with copper salts etc to inhibit plant growth so not good for veg, they look quite fresh too. Do they smell?

cb

Isn’t the normal treatment CCA? Before it was banned of course – chromated copper arsenate? Tastes pretty dreadful I’d imagine

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can you tell if these sleepers are food safe?’ is closed to new replies.