Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Can I take my bike on a South West train from Vauxhall to Dorking today?
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

Wanna ride Surrey Hills today and was wondering whether I’d be allowed on with a mountain bike.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Is it the LtoB today? They ban bikes on the whole network on that day but still sold me a ticket from Wimbledon (from the manned kiosk with me stood in mtb gear with a mtb) then some jobsworth at dorking said I couldn’t board a train on the way back! I pointed out to him that I had been sold a ticket without being told of the ban, the line wasn’t on the direct route back from Brighton and I was getting a train back wether he liked it or not.

It’s only weekdays at peak times that there are restrictions.

riddoch

From http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/cycle-policy.aspx
    Peak time travel restrictions apply from Monday to Friday at stations shown on the cycle restrictions map.
    In the area bounded by London Waterloo, Reading, Hook, Alton, Guildford and Dorking, cycles may not join or leave trains due to arrive at London Waterloo between 0715 and 1000 inclusive, or which leave London Waterloo between 1645 and 1900 inclusive.
    Southern have a similar policy plus the bike area is also the wheelchair area and they get a bit funny if there is more than three of you.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips – I managed to catch a train without any problems yesterday. There is even a dedicated bike storage area directly opposite the wheelchair area, with slots for wheels and a belt to secure bikes. However, not every carriage has this area, so you need to get on the right one.

zippykona

Whenever we go to London on a sunday I see bikes at Clapham Junction.It makes me so grateful that I can just roll out of my door.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Can I take my bike on a South West train from Vauxhall to Dorking today?’ is closed to new replies.