• This topic has 32 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by toab.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • can you speed up getting rid of a virus/ chesty cough
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Been ill for six days with no sign of feeling better, in fact I now feel worse 🙁 general virus feel, aches and psins, lethargy, and most annoying a chest flemmy cough. Any way to speed up the progress and rid it?

rOcKeTdOg

Anti-biotics if it’s that bad

carbon337
    Free Member

prednisolone works for me – keep some in the house and pop 6 in a day and that seems to keep the lungs in order when i have a cold. Got them on prescription a while back.

crikey
    Free Member

You self prescribe steroids at your own risk. Not a recommended practice.

speaker2animals

I know how you feel fella. Does sound like you (and I) both need a dose of anti-biotic. Not feeling as ill as I was on second day but terrible nights cos of cough, ache all over body and nothing seems to help a lot.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Drs me thinks

midlifecrashes

A week in Cyprus?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Salbutamol works for me.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Kill or cure ride today didn’t work 🙁

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Not cured or dead, or just not cured? (assuming/hoping for the former 🙂 )

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS some really stupid things on this thread. Antibiotics don’t work for a virus – but of course it may not be viral. Self medicating with steroids 😯 , salbutomol will do nothing for infection.

Go to your GP. If you have a bacterial chest infection you may need antibiotics. viral infections can only be treated symptomatically.

Self treatment? Paracetamol if you have a temp,stream inhalations to clear your chest.

carbon337
    Free Member

TJ – Hardly self prescribing when the doc gave me a pile of them and said when you have a cold and your chest flairs up take 6 a day and if it carries on for a few days come back.

Having asthma for 30yrs I’ve kind of got used to my body and know how to deal with my lungs.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TJ – salbutamol being a bronchodilator will allow more air into mobilise secretions and let the dude breathe more easily and that will make them feel better..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

carbon – thats different but you are recommending someone else takes them. A 30 yr asthmatic is a different position from a man with manflu

Zulu – only if he is in brochospasm.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TJ – which it would have if there was an infection present.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zulu – not always by any means.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Most of the time. And I did say that it was what works for me. Didnt say it would work for everyone.

Esme
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

I’m with TJ – but then he is the expert on this comnpared to you lot. Anti-biotics are just silly for most things like this, as they won’t do any good – but hopefully your GP shouldn’t prescribe them unless you do actually need them. When I had a bad cough at the start of the year I got prescribed extra strength co-codamol (higher codeine dose – you can’t take more of the normal ones as you’ll overdose on paracetamol) which I have taken since when I had a bad cough, but otherwise over the counter drugs are as good as you’ll get to alleviate the symptoms. That and look after yourself with sleep and diet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ta aracer – only expert in comparison – hence the “go to your GP”

racing_ralph
    Free Member

That and look after yourself with sleep and diet.

with a one year old and full time job – not an option on the sleep front

finbar
    Free Member

You should probably take some colostrum.

aracer
    Free Member

A full time job you can’t take a day off sick from?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Aracer – am on hols for the week which involves the 1 year old!!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Dont take paracetamol or anything which will reduce your fever.

Goto usefulness below

clicky

starsh78
    Free Member

Brandy 🙂

IronMate
    Free Member

Hi
    You need to take coolustrum cows first milk. It probably the most natural food prodcut. It is a rich source of goodness designed to stop newborns getting sick.
    It cotnains antibodies & Bioactive protective agents so it can fight against almost anything.
    Many athletes’ triathletes have problem absorbing foods without actually realizing it; Colostrum helps by lining the gut and will improve nutriment absorption, this in itself will make you healthier, a lot of top cyclist quietly take it to avoid their competitors trying it.Gutsav Larson uses neovite colostrum.
    Better health which results in consistency of training which promotes better performance.
    Always feel tired or get colds during the year that they can’t shift
    Positive
    Performance improvements include the capacity to absorb the training much better.
    I feel a lot less tired after taking Colostrum
    Improves stamina and reduces recovery times between training sessions.50 year old faster than when I was 35!
    Suggest you check out for loads of useful information and order it http://www.neovite.com
    Colostrum user for 5 years
    Ironmate Mark

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is this another colostrum shill or what? First post on the forum.

Its gone beyond funny now

Milkman
    Free Member

Ironmate Mark

You have to be careful what you say on this forum It’s populated by ranters who don’t like to have their prejudices challenged. See neovite thread for some classic rants.

If you don’t offer your credentials they will accuse you of failing their supposed bullshit detector. If you do offer your credentials, even a tiny part, they will rant that you’ve upset their bragging sensor and refuse to play any more.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hardly milkman.

You made a series of claims about a product you were promoting that you were unable to substantiate in any meaningful way and when challenged you fell back on bluster and bullshine.

Lets see some real data that says colostrum has any effect on the common cold – in reducing its severity or duration

We dislike shills, we want people to be able to substantiate their claims – and I have been on the wrong end of this myself. Make claims you must be able to substantiate them. Don’t insult our inteliigence

Milkman
    Free Member

TandemJeremy

I’m not trying to insult your intelligence, I’m only asking you to use it.

Of the published works so far, these are the most relevant and most consistent with user reports.

Br J Nutr. 2010 May;103(10):1425-32. Epub 2009 Dec 24.

Bovine colostrum supplementation attenuates the decrease of salivary lysozyme and enhances the recovery of neutrophil function after prolonged exercise.
    Davison G, Diment BC.

Department of Sport and Exercise Science, Aberystwyth University, Carwyn James Building, Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3FD, UK. gdd@aber.ac.uk

Abstract
    Oral supplementation with bovine colostrum (COL) has been shown to enhance immunity in human subjects. However, there is limited research on the use of bovine COL supplementation to counter exercise-induced immunodepression, as a model of stress-induced immunodepression, and previous research has focused primarily on salivary IgA. The aim of the present study was to determine the effects of bovine COL supplementation on exercise-induced changes in innate immunity (neutrophil function and salivary lysozyme) in addition to salivary IgA. Twenty healthy, active men cycled for 2 h at approximately 64 % maximal oxygen uptake after 4 weeks of daily bovine COL (n 10) or placebo (PLA, n 10) supplementation. Blood and saliva samples were obtained before and after supplementation, before and after exercise. Exercise induced significant increases in markers of physiological stress and stress to the immune system (circulating neutrophils, neutrophil:lymphocyte ratio, immature granulocytes, atypical lymphocytes and plasma cortisol), but there were no differences between the COL and PLA groups. Significant group x time interactions (two-way mixed model ANOVA) were observed for neutrophil function (stimulated degranulation) and salivary lysozyme concentration and release (P < 0.05). Significant exercise-induced decreases were observed in these parameters, and bovine COL supplementation either speeded the recovery (neutrophil function) or prevented the decrease (salivary lysozyme) in these measures of innate immunity. These results suggest that 4 weeks of bovine COL supplementation limits the immunodepressive effects induced by an acute prolonged physical stressor, such as exercise, which may confer some benefits to host defence.

PMID: 20030905 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

and this one

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Feb;16(1):47-64.

The effect of bovine colostrum supplementation on salivary IgA in distance runners.
    Crooks CV, Wall CR, Cross ML, Rutherfurd-Markwick KJ.

Institute of Food Nutrition and Human Health, Massey University, Auckland, New Zealand.

Abstract
    Secretory IgA in saliva (s-IgA) is a potential mucosal immune correlate of upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) status. Nutritional supplements may improve mucosal immunity, and could be beneficial to athletes who are at increased risk of URTI. In this study, 35 distance runners (15 female, 20 male, age 35 to 58 y) consumed a supplement of either bovine colostrum or placebo for 12 wk. Saliva samples were taken prior to training at baseline, monthly during supplementation, and 2 wk post supplementation. Median levels of s-IgA increased by 79% in the colostrum group after 12 wk intervention, and the time-dependent change from baseline value was significant (P = 0.0291). This significance was still apparent after adjusting for training volume and self-reporting of upper respiratory symptoms. This study has demonstrated increased s-IgA levels among a cohort of athletes following colostrum supplementation. While this result is statistically significant, its physiological interpretation must be viewed with caution due to the small numbers in this study and the large variability in s-IgA levels.

PMID: 16676703 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

I afraid to say that’s all that has been published so far, but a three year program of further resaerch is underway at Aberystwyth.

We can all wish for more complete science on larger sample sizes but these trials were conducted on the product I supply, produced by the world’s largest dairy exporter who can be considered the most reliable source of well processed colostrum meeting the highest quality standards.

If anyone is still unsure of my credentials please cxall 0800 24 25 123

theteaboy
    Free Member

You need to take coolustrum cows first milk. It probably the most natural food prodcut. It is a rich source of goodness designed to stop newborns getting sick.

Why cow colostrum? More natural than carrots?

Designed to stop newborns getting sick? Presumably you mean newborn cows?!

The scientific data indicates that cow colostrum supplements are awesome, but only if you’re a cow or a pig: Link

Oh, and

Don’t insult our inteliigence

– our what? 😀

toab
    Free Member

probably revolting but…

Chop half an onion really finely, cover with sugar in a bowl, leave plate over it overnight and it should turn into a kind of wee coloured goup which you take twice a day

I know a lot of people who absolutely swear by it, so might be worth a try (mind you, anything with that much sugar in would probably make you feel more perky)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘can you speed up getting rid of a virus/ chesty cough’ is closed to new replies.