Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Can you space down the new Rock Shox Pike RCT3 29" Solo Air 140
  • variflex
    Free Member

As per title, does anyone know if you want space down the new Rock Shox Pike RCT3 29″ Solo Air 140 to 120mm?

LoCo
    Free Member

No, not space them down, but I reckon it’s possible to do in a non reversible fashion, the air spring assms. should be available in a few months too.

variflex
    Free Member

Thanks loco, so what do you reckon is the best way of getting a pair in black that can be run at 120mm, get the dual air 140’s as I believe they can be run at both 120 and 140? Cant see any available though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matther01
    Free Member

LoCo would you be able to do the same with the 26″ from 150 to 140mm?

LoCo
    Free Member

The Dual position 29ers are 150 max. and 120 in lower position
    29er solo airs are listed as 140, 150 or 160 models.

Looking into travel reduction on the dual position 29ers in next week or so as have a set to go on my bike and 140mm max would probably be best for.

Solo airs shouldn’t be an issue to reduce in travel.

luke1688

Bit of a thread resurrection but LoCo is it possible to space down the 150mm 26″ pikes to 140mm? Cheers

rollwagen
    Free Member

Regarding the previous post “Solo airs shouldn’t be an issue to reduce in travel.” — has anybody tried it / can anybody confirm it’s possible with the simple adding of spacers (like with the REBAs)?
    Cheers,
    Markus

pktri
    Free Member

I’m also interested in lowering my 26″ 150 Pike RCTs to 140mm to match previous A2C height… is it as easy as lowering Fox forks? thanks

campfreddie
    Free Member

I really really want a pair of 26er Pike 150mm Dual Position Forks as 150mm is the max I can go to with my frame.

Looking at the RS spares list, there should be an air spring kit to do this, but it have no idea how much this will cost in addition to the forks.

As I can get a brand new pair of Rev 150 RCT3 DPCs for under £400 from one of the gerbil websites, I’m already struggling with paying another £100 for the a Pike.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have any objection to the price difference.

I have some 29″ Revelation RCT3’s on my HT, and some 29″ Pikes on my big bike. They are completely different forks. The Revelations feel really quite nasty compared to the Pike. They remind me why I’ve pretty much disliked any RS fork, apart from Boxxers and the new Pike.

Considering there is next to no wight difference, once the Pikes can be reduced to 120, I’m going to be all over a set for the HT.

honourablegeorge

What HT, Hob Nob?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Fireline!

honourablegeorge

Right, lovely.

Am riding my Soul a good bit atm, doing some trail centre stuff to avoid worst of the weather. Love the bike, but am 29er curious. Solaris is the first on the list right now.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I was toying with the Solaris, but I spotted a cheap Fireline on Ebay, so jumped in 🙂

I did the 29″ curious, now that’s all I have…

campfreddie
    Free Member

Okay,,, well I just need to find a bike shop willing to sell me a pair of 150mm 26er black Pike RCT3’s for £450 and I’ll be sorted.

jairaj

I’m also interested in lowering my 26″ 150 Pike RCTs to 140mm to match previous A2C height… is it as easy as lowering Fox forks? thanks

The RS solo air spring travel cannot be changed by adding / removing spacers. You need a new air spring assembly. From previous posts by Loco I think these are around ~£40.

Also from previous posts by Loco, seems as if there is no 140mm air spring assembly for the 26″ Pikes but they can do a non reversible modification to the air spring to make it 140mm.

Please contact Loco (or other suspension tuning place) to confirm details and prices, as I have nothing to do with them and may be wrong.

LoCo
    Free Member

Jairaj, is correct we can machine the air leg down to 140mm. (why would you want to speak to any of the other suspension places anyway 😉 )

campfreddie
    Free Member

Loco…. Are the spring assemblies going to be circa £40 or will they be significantly more. Also, when are they likely to become available.

I don’t want to buy a 160 dpc Pike if I can only sit and look at it for the next few months. Might as well get the 150mm solo air instead.

LoCo
    Free Member

What wheel size and travel do you want for the Dual position pikes?

EDIT: 26″ wheel dual positon spring internals are available now, RRP £190, but mail us for a price, it’s not just a case of machining parts on the dual pos system, you need to actually replace the spring internals to change the travel.
    The solo air csu (uppers) isn’t compatible with dual position csu either so you can swap spring systems.

campfreddie
    Free Member

That sounds like if will make for a VERY expensive pair of 26″ 150mm dual position Pikes.

I guess this means I need to decide between 150 solo air Pikes or 150 Rev dual positions.

LoCo
    Free Member

The pikes will perform a bit better due to the charger damper system IMO.

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member
    I was toying with the Solaris, but I spotted a cheap Fireline on Ebay, so jumped in

I did the 29″ curious, now that’s all I have…

Tried a Niner SIR9, think it was just too XC for my taste. I basically want a Soul in 29″ with no disadvantages.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Okay, so I now need to find a source or cheap Pikes…. Had a sniff at some for circa £420 but missed out, so need to keep looking. Can’t really afford circa £500 right now.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

LoCo, total tart question here, but, can you get hold of white lowers as my perfect plan would be 140 solos with white lowers? Expensive I know but I want it to look right and 150mm is too much for the bike its going on (covert 29).

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes but you’d have to run the black solo air crown as the inside of the stantions on the solo air has a transfer port machined in them

dirtyrider
    Free Member

how much is it to drop the travel to 120mm LoCo?

cheers

justatheory
    Free Member

how much is it to drop the travel to 120mm LoCo?

I’d be very interested in doing this with a pair of 140mm 29er Pikes.

LoCo
    Free Member

£35 on the air shaft, due back in stock mid April, any further queries please mail us, cheers Simon.

dukeluke
    Free Member

Sorry for reviving an old post but can’t find an answer to my questions anywhere (at least this thread is on topic!!).

Firstly, Rockshox website is unclear re Pike RCT3. It implies solo and dual are both available in white or black??
    I thought solo was black, and dual was white??

Second, duals are suppose to be adjustable by 30mm right? If so what is the range (e.g. 130-160mm)?

Third, when the duals travel is adjusted does it simply limit the available travel or does it lower the forks i.e. decrease the fork length?

Cheers

Yetiman
    Free Member

Not sure about colours, but yes, the dual position fork works by dropping the height, and the travel, by 30mm.

LoCo
    Free Member

Lowers height when dropp so forks are 30mm shorter.
    Aftermarket solo airs are black and dual pos. are white, I do know some OE ones came through in different colours though, someone got some white solo airs from on one it think.

Also there is a limit to how much you can lower the solo airs as there is only so much material in the air leg so 26″ solos are reduceable to 120mm min.
    However with the release of the Pike DJ forks they are offering them in 100mm so the air leg should be usable out of them, will be looking into this when tech specs. become available

RickDraper
    Free Member

You can get dual position air in black and solo air in white from bike-discount now. New product for the coming year.

Paceman
    Free Member

Can 29er Solo Air RS Pikes be reduced to 120mm?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

LoCo
    Free Member

Can 29er Solo Air RS Pikes be reduced to 120mm?

Yes, change air shaft, in stock.

Paceman
    Free Member

Ah that’s good news LoCo, how about changing the Dual-Position version from 120-150mm to 110-140mm (or even 100-130mm?

roverpig

Presumably if you do this the sag marking on the stanchion are all wrong?

Paceman
    Free Member

Presumably if you do this the sag marking on the stanchion are all wrong?

We’ll just have to manage the old fashioned way 😀

roverpig

Yes, hardly an insurmountable problem. I’ll concede that. It would still bug me to have marking on the stanchion that were wrong though 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Depends on the wheel size can only drop 160 to 150 max on 26″.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Can you space down the new Rock Shox Pike RCT3 29" Solo Air 140’ is closed to new replies.