Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can you see any windows from where you are sitting?
  • Hohum
    Free Member

I can't and I think it is slowly driving me mad!

We moved office about a month ago and I can now walk my children to school and then make my way over to the office.

Sounds great doesn't it? I now have a 20 minute walk instead of a 20 mile drive…

However, I swear that the office I am now in suffers from sick building syndrome and is making me ill. As soon as I walk into the place it saps the energy and motivation out of me plus I am stuck right at the back of the building (it used to be a warehouse) and there are no windows around which I find quite disconcerting and depressing. I love watching the weather, but now I can not see what is going on outside and I feel like I am going nuts.

I have spoken to some of my colleagues who moved at the same time as me and they can feel it to.

I really need to get a new job and move from this office before I am totally drained of motivation.

My manager and his manager are coming up to see me on Friday to see what they can do to help me out. Well, that is what they say, but the paranoid voice in my head tells me I am in for a bollocking.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Having done a stint in an office with no natural light I feel your pain, if you're really unfortunate the lack of daylight (which is going to get worse for you as we head into winter) will start screwing with your ability to sleep properly too.

I hadn't realised how big an impact crap working conditions can have.

tron
    Free Member

Get / insist on better lighting? Even a bog standard bulb has a spectrum that's vastly better than fluorescent.

enfht
    Free Member

Tin-foil pants?

TimP
    Free Member

I can see 6 of which 2 are reachable without standing up. I can see the sea and the south downs and it is sunny outside

Hope that helps?

On the downside we will be moving to an office with minimal windows (a converted shop) so will be in a similar position in a couple of months

joolsburger
    Free Member

I left my last company because of the lack of light, they couldn't believe it but it made me depressed. In a converted loft now and have two huge windows right behind me, much better.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If i look to my right i can see the Solent and the South downs in the distance, if i look to my left i can see the high street and perv at all the pretty ladies in their skimpy tops. 😈

sobriety
    Free Member

We have no windows at all in our office (old warehouse), the real insult is that above the suspended ceiling (required for fire regs compliance) are skylights 😥

Milkie
    Free Member

No windows or fresh air here. Everyone in the office struggles past 3pm, summer time its 30-36°C, winter can be as cold as it is outside.

Daylight bulbs & a few a plants should help you out a bit, also getting out of the office at lunch time really helps too!

I live on the banks of the River Severn as it meanders its way through the sun dappled leafy glades of the Wyre forest.

The view from my front window…

I don't think I could put up with working in a place with no windows.

franki
    Free Member

I can see windows from here, but none that look outside the building. :o(

GrahamS

Definitely get some desk-friendly plants.

My office feels "nicer" on some indeterminate scale for having a couple of small plants in it. (I have a window – but the view is another office block and some wasteground).

stuey
    Free Member

I have windows – but I'm often too busy to look out of them.
    Good lighting is important but also check for adequate ventilation – if you share office space with laser printers / xerox machines you could be breathing nasty ozone.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes – can just about see inside the house through them, though it's a bit dark in there, and the sun's reflecting off them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can see some sky and about 300 windows on the side of the next bit of building.

Down the end of this office there are huge floor to ceiling windows that look out into the canopy of the surrounding forest. Lovely, but I can't see it from here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can you see any windows from where you are sitting?’ is closed to new replies.