Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Can you "run off" a cold
  • steve-g
    Free Member

I've had a cold for nearly 2 weeks now just feeling run down and lazy.

Me and a few guys at work normally get out for a 4 mile jog/run at lunch times and I've given that a miss while I've been feeling rubbish. Today I am starting to feel a little bit better and I can't decide whether or not I should go. I really don't feel like it but I think once I've started I will just get on with it. Does anyone know if it will wake my body up and make me feel better or will it knacker me out and make me feel worse again? Whats the science behind it?

teagirl
    Free Member

If you've still got an infection I would advise against it as your heart could be put under greater strain and make you feel worse for longer.

organic355
    Free Member

So whos going to be the 1st to utter those 4 letters?

docrobster
    Free Member

As a general rule- if symptoms neck up only (ie runny nose sore throat ear ache no fever) exercise ok
    if anything else no don't do it

docrobster
    Free Member

there ain't no science behind it by the way

PJ266
    Free Member

Id like to say those four letters, but I had some sort of bug for three weeks recently and it was shit. Rest is the best cure.

clubber
    Free Member

Active recovery (very easy training – should be able to comfortably chat and shouldn't feel tired afterwards) is shown to help recovery but hard training will just delay it and can also cause problems – google heart myositis for the worst case.

Hard training supresses your immune system (which is why athletes are always getting ill) so it's the last thing you need to do when recovering.

Of course, that's always easier said than done if you're someone who's used to doing a lot of training – The rule of thumb we always used when I was training hard was that if it was a head cold alone (eg nothing below the neck) then you could still train but take it a bit easier. Anything in the lungs and you really need to let yourself recover.

midlifecrashes

The science is if it's not cleared and you over do it, you can die or mess your heart up big style. Usually this is for a chesty cold/infection. If it's headaches and snot, push on through.

Now if you'd asked if you could drink a cold off we could start sending favourite hot toddy recipes.

ps not a doctor, but I did see one a couple of years ago, which has got to be close enough, hasn't it?

clubber
    Free Member

PS MTFU 😉

steve-g
    Free Member

I like the neck up rule, noted.

My chest is still a bit bad so it looks like another lunchtime working through 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

Go for a really easy run – almost a 'lollop' 🙂 – you'll feel better for having got out, it will probably help your recovery and you'll probably feel happier for having done something rather than just sitting at your desk.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Be careful – exercising with a cold is linked to sudden adult death. Gently gently does it.

Gentle exercise might help clear your lungs – but be careful

maxray
    Free Member

Is that through you doing a quick google and telling us or through real actual knowledge TJ ?

antigee

google heart myositis for the worst case.

not sure if was this but a mate who was a keen fell runner managed some sort of heart damage and ended up in intensive care

has made me a bit less inclined to MTFU

the above the neck thing seems common in running mags

surfer
    Free Member

As docrobster and others have said.

If you run with a bad cold/flu, you might die!

Or so my old coach used to tell me.

iDave
    Free Member

i think* this is why one time super dooper XC pro' David Baker had to retire, not just from racing, but from anything physically stressful – damage to the heart muscle from training/racing through viral illness

*sort of

clubber
    Free Member

Is that through you doing a quick google and telling us or through real actual knowledge TJ ?

He's actually right on this one…

MrSparkle

Fell runners rule for colds:
    In the head, go ahead.
    On the chest, have a rest.

Keva
    Free Member

take a rest. In my experience exercising on a cold just strings it out for longer.

Kev

footflaps

I set a PB cross country with a cold….

sofatester
    Free Member

I set a PB cross country with a cold….

Is it not a bit cold this time of year for willy waving? 🙄

OP – Rest, lots of sleep if possible. The more you stress your systems the longer it will take to recover. Take a few days off or have it hanging on for weeks. Your choice.

clubber
    Free Member

Indeed 🙄

No one said that you can't train when you're unwell, just that it's not good for you in the long term (you'll die! 😉 )

kevonakona
    Free Member

Rest. My cousin died at 42 (8 years ago) whike running on a running machine after/with a chest infection. Direct link to the illness. He left a wife two daughters and a young son. I'm currently resting and really wanting to push on with 'puffer training but my bikes are well polished.

alwyn
    Free Member

Don't do it. I trained with a cold over the summer, got a throat infection and almost missed the entire tri season. It's not worth it.

zaskar
    Free Member

Well you might speed up the immune response a little but spread the infection greatly.

Best thing you can do is eat healthy and sleep 8hrs- that will help and also drink plenty of water.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

You don't have to sit at your desk doing nothing. Go out for a walk. Its exercise, its a break from work and its not damaging.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Can you "run off" a cold’ is closed to new replies.