Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can you run an 11 speed 32t cassette with a standard 6700 rear mech?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hi guys,

got a mate of a mate whos just dropped out of the peak epic, I’m overweight for a hilly course and have agreed to step in.

I’ve currently got a 28 fitted on my 6700 drivetrain.

Will a 32t run ok?

If not, what mech do I need too?

crazybaboon

Maybe, it depends on the length of the rear mech hanger
    I’ve had success on trek madones and domanes, also on a cervelo r3.
    Didn’t work on a Specialized Tramac sl3
    If it doesn’t work, you did to change to a long cage gs rear mech

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a 28 fitted on my 6700 drivetrain.

A 30T definitely works (have a 12-30t tiagra cassette with 6700 mech on my tourer).

jonnyboi

You could get a 10 speed med cage 105 mech for £30 if your current short cage mech won’t do

mattsccm
    Free Member

A mate has a 32 on a short cage Ultegra 11 speed mech. Had to wind the B screw in a bit and we felt that using the 30 and 32 with the outer was pushing things a bit but it works perfectly

ransos
    Free Member

And you’ll probably need a longer chain. Mine was nearly new and I had kept the spare links so just added it in with an extra split link. Seems to be fine.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks guys, its a trek emonda so maybe might work based on the madone and domane experience above?

I’ll give it a whirl with just a cassette and then go from there.

Thanks for the input everyone. Long ride tomorrow now then rest for a week!

ransos
    Free Member

Make sure you check it in big/ big. I know you’ll try to avoid cross chaining but you don’t want to jam the mech on the road because the chain is too short.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yeh I will do, I’ll try it in big big under load too.

jonnyboi

Sorry misread your post, 6700 ultegra is 10 speed, why are you putting an 11 speed cassette on?

chilled76
    Free Member

Maybe its not 6700, it’s 11 speed 105 I’ve got on there. My bad

jonnyboi

5800 then, that’s ok. I went for an 11-32 on my gravel bike and had to go for a bigger mech.

ransos
    Free Member

Maybe its not 6700, it’s 11 speed 105 I’ve got on there. My bad

That’s 5800. Supposedly the short cage only goes up to 28T, but you might be lucky and have the medium cage fitted.

chilled76
    Free Member

How can I tell? If it is medium cage then will it work?

ransos
    Free Member

Medium cage will work and is “gs”. Short cage will probably not work and is “ss”. It’s probably stamped on the back of the derailleur. The picture in your link looks like a short cage to me though I can’t be 100% sure.

avdave2

Just looked at my 5800 with a 11-32. It’s in the back of the car right now so can’t see markings properly but if it helps distance between jockey wheels is approx 90mm. That photo looks shorter so maybe it won’t do the job.

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers avDave2, that’s a help… I’ll get the ruler out.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can you run an 11 speed 32t cassette with a standard 6700 rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.