Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can You Run 1*9 For XC Without a Chain Device?
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

As the title says really.
    Would be going on a hardtail with a dh/slalom chain ring so bigger teeth than one designed to shift.
    Thanks
    Dave

pedalhead
    Free Member

Depends on the bike in my experience. No probs on my Pegasus, but the chain used to drop all the time on my Prince Albert. Probably down to chain tension I suspect…use the smallest rear mech you can get away with

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Is the weight loss really worth the risk of smashing your nads into the top tube or stem? Even CX racers have some form of guide when running a 1x setup

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Some people on here swear you can.

Speaking from experience, you can’t if you want to ride anything remotely rocky/rooty/bumpy or anything at speed.

As a minimum, I’d want a Superstart XCX type thing which I’m going to get on the hardtail. MRP Mini-G2 on the full sus and thats perfect.

s
    Free Member

The simple answer is yes…..right up to the second when your chain flicks off for the first time on that nice rocky DH section, then funnily enough it becomes a definite NO for some reason!

🙂

Lionheart
    Free Member

Yes, I have two that never dropped a chain, Zion 29ner and Whyte 19, both on short mechs. But a couple of the devices are so good, relatively cheap, easy to do I would should have one on my bikes. Both bikes go down the ‘softer’ local DH tracks and jump off ‘small’ things.

I do have have two an E13 and the latest Superstar version and they are sitting in the tool box waiting for the day a chain comes off and I come home to fit them!

Johnbot
    Free Member

Trying this our at the moment on my full sus, e13 chainring so longer teeth but it still comes off once a ride or so. Would be sorted if I could get one of those “Paul’s” chain keepers to sit on top of the chainring.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can You Run 1*9 For XC Without a Chain Device?’ is closed to new replies.