Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Can you retrofit lockout to a Fox fork???
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

I've got a Fox 32 Float R which i've put on my singlespeed, its a good fork but for the standing climbing on a SS lockout is useful.

Anyone got any info on whether this can be done and if so how easy it is

Cheers

Burchy1
    Free Member

Nudge

njee20
    Free Member

You can change the damper, talk to TF Tuned, won't be cheap.

Look at crown mounted, the Fox Remote lockout is horrible IMO, and the conversion kit's about £130.

Frankly you'd probably be better off flogging the fork and buying something with a lockout in the first place.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jerome
    Free Member

Get rebas i you must have a lockout

glenp
    Free Member

It is surprisingly easy to retrofit the ability not to bob the fork as you ride. If you practice looking at the fork as you climb (where feasible – don't look at the ground under normal circumstances!) you will find you can stand on the pedals and honk in a smooth style that doesn't bob the fork. As an added bonus your pedalling will be miles nicer!

I do realise that SS makes this a slightly taller order, but it is still perfectly possible. Simple even.

Del

Glenn,
    you come and ride the climb up onto our local hill and show us how it's done… 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I personally have just never felt the need to use a lockout on my forks, I find them irritating!

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi

yes as said above damper is replaceable, so you could spec. an RL (rebound and lockout) or an RLC (rebound,lockout,compression and a threshold adjuster which controls how bigger bump/hit it takes to overcome the lockout when engaged)
    Mojo will have these in stock.

glenp
    Free Member

Del – why not just find out for yourself? IME riders who don't believe it is possible to pedal hard without bobbing the fork haven't even tried.

Del

Glenn,
    appreciate your insight. IME by the time I'm at the top of that **** hill, blowing out of my ar5e, anything that feels like it's robbing me of power is a mortal enemy that must be crushed.
    given the option, lockout or no lockout, i'll take a lockout, if it's all the same to you.
    YMMV. 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

so it looks like an expensive 'upgrade' unless i can find a cheap donor fork that has worn through its stantions in a fox stylee 😀

Glenn – I'd like to think i was a pretty smooth pedaller and can 'load' the fork pretty well to keep it from bobbing most of the time, however it would be useful for that last 5% of umph when SSing and your smooth style starts to go and you begin to blow out of your…. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Theoretically I understand if you adopt a very low cadence and keep shifting your weight on the pedals I can see it being possible. But that's not a great way to climb, if you're keeping up a sensible cadence and using the bars then I'd have thought some bobbing was pretty well guaranteed.

I guess it's about comfort vs speed, for a little power climb out of the saddle I'd rather just sprint up it and accept the fork bobbing.

glenp
    Free Member

Each to their own Del. Not sure why you are so convinced without even trying, but each to their own.

BTW it isn't best to learn on the nasty bastard hill – you need to get it sorted on easier sections and in time it will always be there for you. Plus, smooth pedalling is a good idea anyway, lock out or no lock out.

What does YMMV mean?

glenp
    Free Member

njee20 – the clue is in what you said "I'd have thought" – not empirical evidence, just plain assumption.

Of course you might benefit from a lock out for that last 5%, I agree. But having it on the other 95% means that your pedalling is lumpy all the time.

It isn't particularly cadence related either. Just practice a little. I honestly can't see the harm!

Del

your mileage may vary. each to their own in other words. we agree on that.
    your assumption that i've never climbed on a bike without a lockout is where you've gone wrong mate.
    also, i've even commited sex up a lady, and everything. 😀
    anyhoo, moving on…

njee20
    Free Member

You're rather forceful on this issue aren't you Glen!?

I don't really care if my fork bobs, I've got a relatively smooth pedal stroke and an even power balance, so I've no real desire to change my style personally!

Happy for you to show me how it's done mind!

glenp
    Free Member

Ah now – we've gone to the normal STW place of misinterpreting what was said and so on! FFS – all I was saying is that is surprisingly beneficial to spend time trying not to bob your fork – and that more is possible that you might at first imagine.

I've had a read back and I can't see where I said "you've never climbed on a fork without lockout" – nope, just double checked and, yep – that's a bit that you made up!

Moving on indeed. I was trying to be constructive and enter the discussion. Whatever.

glenp
    Free Member

njee20 – I'm not offering to show anyone how its done! Unless you're paying.

This happens frequently on this board – if I make a clear point, everyone takes that as forcefulness. If I make a point rather more softly, everyone just willfully claims that I'm saying something else by picking at every lack of sharpness in my statement!

Probably I should just not bother. I really don't give that much of a toss.

njee20
    Free Member

Crikey, calm down!

What you've said comes across very much as 'I'm right, you're not' which for something like this isn't really the case, surely?

I have often been tempted to try one of your skills days actually, I wonder if you're a little 'hostile' though! Sure it's an online vs real world thing, but you don't come across as overly friendly and accommodating. IMO of course, I'm sure you have a lot of happy clients!

Del

huzzah!
    well the thread has ventured far enough off topic so let's quit while we're ahead eh?
    it's academic if Dave can pedal a bike properly or not, and TBH, if the bleedin' piabetic stopped dodging the salad he probably wouldn't need a lockout at all. honestly, a more effective cake detector you'd struggle to find…
    :mrgreen:

glenp
    Free Member

I'm clearly not very good at typing nice! I am perfectly calm and nice – merely trying to explain.

I'm honestly not like that!

njee20
    Free Member

Well I rather assumed you were, you wouldn't be a very good teacher otherwise!

glenp
    Free Member

To get back to the OP – the lockout on my Fox fork is 100% unused. If I knew how to swap it over anyone would be welcome to it!

Burchy1
    Free Member

I only went away for lunch (admittedly it was fish, chips, pie and mushy peas, and Del for your information i didnt shirk the salad i had a pickled onion aswell) and look what i come back to…all that nonsense over a lockout.

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, it was reasonably civil, and it got back on-topic, what more do you want!?

oxym0r0n

I had my rlt's pushed for use on my SS, which replaced the lockout with a threshold, which I keep on most of the time unless doing a long DH.

Something to consider if you are having them serviced anyway maybe?

Burchy1
    Free Member

Meh, it was reasonably civil, and it got back on-topic, what more do you want!?

Just to find out whether a lockout can be fitted 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Can you retrofit lockout to a Fox fork???’ is closed to new replies.