Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can you repair lycra and other clothing?
  • burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Had my first off this morning on the road bike. I’m ok and the bikes is ok, but my winter tights now have a small hole in them and the new Sportful winter jacket I just bought has graze marks on the shoulder with a small hole on the outer fabric.

The clothing getting ripped is what is annoying me most. No point in repairing the jacket, but are the tights a write off or can they be patched?

First road rash since I started on the road bike 2 years ago.

finbar
    Free Member

Yes, but I don’t know how.

Rapha do a crash repair service and I’ve sent a pair of shredded lycra bib shorts to them, which came back nicely mended and are now back in use. They only do this for their own stuff though, so you’d have to find someone else.

leffeboy

Does no-one darn stuff any more?
    Fir the tights it will depend on how ‘clean’ the tear is. If it’s quite neat then you can usually just sew it back together. If it’s a hole then it can be a bit of a pain

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i’ve successfully (lasted about a year) glued a patch from old shorts on the inside of long tights – i think i used “extreme power glue” but anything decent along those lines would do. Used quite a lot and left it with a weight for a few hours. Make sure to protect the other side or you’ll glue the whole leg together..
    Works if the aim is to stay warm rather than look pretty.

kcal

I had a bramble rip in my relatively new 3/4 lycra bib shorts. Bit of Duck tape front and back seems to have worked, that and some fabric glue to hold it together..

TiRed

Standard procedure for race crashes! I tend to sew holes with a straight seam pinching together the sides. The lycra is under tension, so normally fills out well when being ridden.

For jerseys not subject to tension, i’d suggest an iron on repair patch instead.

hilldodger
    Free Member

As above, pinch together and sew using synthetic thread and small needle,

binners

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can you repair lycra and other clothing?’ is closed to new replies.