Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Can you remember every ride you’ve ever done ?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was just glancing at the thumbnails for Bog Trotters rides in 2003 and I can remember most of them at a glance. Also, when I read my old ride reports I get the same thing, I just need some substantive trigger for the memory

I can still recall my first ever MTB ride (round Derwent nr. Ladybower in 1996) and my first Bog Trotter ride the same year

crispybacon
    Free Member

‘err Simon I think you need to get out more ….. 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

You wont remember the ones you have forgotton.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

‘err Simon I think you need to get out more

towards the end of the year we’ll hit the 1000 documented rides threshold on the club website 🙂 Which part of this is not “getting out” ??

You wont remember the ones you have forgotton

yes, this would apply to the early rides when I took no snaps and didn’t record any details, though I still have flashbacks of many of those too…

Tracey

99% of them since 1987 first ride was Cut Gate. I can remember going down to Shockwave and buying our bikes then back to Langsett and going through the wood at Langsett Barn, the ride out and the climb up were good but I was shattered on the way back and pushed most of the up hills. I can still remember been very sore and bought a pair of padded shorts for the next ride

Tracey

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

99% of them since 1987 first ride was Cut Gate

Wow! Impressive!

emac65
    Free Member

No, but then I have a life………

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No, but then I have a life………

most of mine is centred around biking :o) Thinking about it, plotting routes, riding, talking about riding, writing about rides and posting pictures of rides. Obsessive, moi ?

emac65
    Free Member

Or just plain sad ;o)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Or just plain sad

sad I ent. It’s great fun. All of it :o) It’s the “life” bit that can be dull…

trailmonkey

No chance.

smiffy

I’ve often marveled at how you can recall a few metres of a ride from many years ago. I bet I could remember more bike rides than days at work!

DeeJay
    Free Member

most of mine is centred around biking :o) Thinking about it, plotting routes, riding, talking about riding, writing about rides and posting pictures of rides. Obsessive, moi ?

Me too – and I remember the rides – even the ones I would prefer to forget! When I go back to do rides again I find I can always remember the offroad twists/junctions/features but soon need to recheck the map when I reach tarmac.

Tracey

Got photos in the loft of most of them. Had a waterproof canon camera then [thats also in the loft], till we got a digital camera then they are all on computer

Tracey

Garry_Lager

I can probably remember every ride I’ve done at different locations, given a trigger. Each of the 100 times I’ve ridden round Glentress? Maybe not.

ton

Barnsey, you told me you had no interest in bikes, you big fibber….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you told me you had no interest in bikes

I never mentioned bikes, only RIDING dumbass :o) I could only tell you which bike I was on from the date…

Drac

No probably not.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no I barely remember the commute home about 2 hours ago
    as for EVERY ride not a hope I barely remember meeting you so it does have its blessings

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I barely remember meeting you so it does have its blessings

thank heavens for small mercies :o)

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, considering I spent most of my teens riding almost every night at different local trails, they all blur into one.

I remember most of my big rides, one I have to drive to.

But I have recently started finding nothing sticks in my memory at all anymore. Like I cant remember things I said/did last week. Very odd.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m usually very absent minded, but rides do stick in my mind!

Junkyard
    Free Member

well done batted that one out of the park 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have a good mind for geography, but not especially for events. So I can find “lost” trails and picture what they are like, where they lead etc. I have vague feelings about how I rode them too.

Yes, I can remember a surprising number of incidents, come to think of it.

Interesting.

AlasdairMc

I’m with garry_lager – I remember the memorable ones where I’ve ridden something new or different, but pretty much every trail centre route blends into one after a few repetitions.

antigee

while tidying out found some old climbing diaries a few weeks back – covering something like 15 years of climbing every weekend and most evenings – what surprised me was that though i recalled things i was way out of order on dates – sometimes by a few years – associating a specific route with specific people but getting it mixed up with some other time with same people or same location but a few years apart

also found some stuff i’d completely forgotten that was written up as being oh so important at the time and some routes if you asked me i’d say i’d tried but failed on – remembered the failures but not going back and doing! also some aid/rests i’d forgotten! resolved to keep my current diary up to date

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yes I agree, I’d not be able to pin down the date within a year or 2 unless it was in relation to something obvious

StuE
    Free Member

I find it hard to remember the ride I did last week (I am getting on a bit though)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(I am getting on a bit though)

me too :o)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t at all, but my rides are less varied than Simon’s. While sitting in Peaslake (Surrey Hills) having a mug of tea and a cheese straw, I feel as though I am always there, in quite a good way. So for me, not remembering each ride seems to give me the impression that I ride more than I perhaps do. I remeber many of the big country ones, but local Surrey not really. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I can remember bits of the unique ones, the ones that had something special in them but normal rides I wouldn’t have a chance. I can barely remember getting laid for the first time, although I expect Mr Simmons, my maths teacher can.

cynic-al
    Free Member

not a chance. Too many similar rides over the years.

Joxster
    Free Member

Not a hope, I only remember the important ones.

clubber
    Free Member

Absolutely no chance. I even forget some of the epics I’ve been on until reminded by mates (though I suppose that technically that’s not forgotten then…).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

no
    next

Bimbler
    Free Member

woah that’s all a bit Rainman, I can barely remember last night’s ride

D0NK

Bit hit and miss, I can be riding along my commute and suddenly think “how the hell did I get here, I dont remember the last 2 miles” The again I can re-ride a route I’ve done once years ago and loads of it come flooding back. unfortunatley I’ve got a habit of remembering duff stuff eg. if first time round I got to a junction and didn’t know whether to go L or R, the next time I do the ride I will have the same trouble at the same junction. I remember the junction and the confusion from first time round, but I dont remember the correct way!

(Sincerley hoping samurai was shagging during maths not shagging his maths teacher)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(Sincerley hoping samurai was shagging during maths not shagging his maths teacher)

one shouldn’t criticise him for early gay experimentation

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

No my memory gets hazy. If something notabkle happened or I was going somewhere new, I’ll remember. Big trips and big days in the hills yes. Every local ride, no.

I do remember pretty much every route I’ve ever taken though. I seem to have a very good memory for that. Generally I’ll only have to ride/walk something once and I’ll be able to recall it perfectly again.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Can you remember every ride you’ve ever done ?’ is closed to new replies.