Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Can you really ditch your Chainguide if running a clutch mech?
  • endurokid
    Free Member

How many people are running a single up front without a Chainguide? Does the chain really stay on? Are clutch mechs that good?

I love the clean look of not running a guide but not 100% sure I’d be confident the chain would stay on!

Is a clutch mech & Raceface narrow wide ring the answer?

Also, show me your single set ups!

Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wide/narrow ring and clutch mechs on 4x,race 29er and 140mm hadtail.Not dropped a chain yet.

endurokid
    Free Member

How long have you been running this set up for? Do you not find you get loads of chainslap as you don’t have a top guide? I can see how the clutch will reduce lower chainslap but not convinced it would be eradicated above the chainstay?

Rorschach
    Free Member

No-you’re right.My mistake,it falls off every ride.

rOcKeTdOg

3 months clutch & N/W no chain drop yet

stevied
    Free Member

RF narrow/wide with XT clutch mech. Nit dropped the chain once and have done CYB, Antur & FoD uplift days, all good!
    Even ran a normal chainring, no guide without a problem, while waiting for the RF ring yo arrive

endurokid
    Free Member

Cool, read good reviews of the NW on CRC so looks like I’ll be taking this road in the very near future!

Mackem

Works for me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I went for my first ride with my thick/thin ring last night and it was great. So much quieter and smoother peddling it was amazing! And to to it off I saved 1/2Lb.

I dropped the chain with my chain device occasionally so I expect to drop it every now and again but at least it will be easy to put back on now.

nikk
    Free Member

Thick/thin + clutch, haven’t dropped the chain ever.

Dropped with just clutch occasionally.

XC / trail riding.

messiah
    Free Member

RF Thick/thin and 9 speed non clutch Saint short cage hasn’t dropped a chain yet … this seems to work as well as the XX1 on my big bike :mrgreen:

With the following set up the chain never came off but it was noisy and prone to clogging with foliage. With only a top guide the chain would come off and jam 👿

razorrazoo

No problems here. RF ring and Zee FR mech.

endurokid
    Free Member

I love how clean the bikes look without a guide, will definitely give it a go, worst comes to the worst I can always put my E13 back on!

warpcow
    Free Member

Works + Zee without issues since whenever the first batch of Works arrived.

Chainslap on top is a nonissue since a guide has FA to do with that. It’s you keeping pressure in the pedals that keeps the chain taught across the top.

yunki
    Free Member

on-one alloy chain ring, knackered 4 year old slx mech, no chain guide, no problems..

Is your chain short enough…?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m running a Wolftooth NW ring with an XT clutch mech and no guide…..in 4 ½ months of use I’ve dropped the chain just once, on a DH track. It’s a brilliant combination.

wwaswas

Non-Clutch 9 speed and narrow wide.

Not lost the chain yet but there is some noise from the bottom of the chainring as the chain hits it going over rougher ground – I suspect a clutch mech would stop that.

peterfile
    Free Member

Works + Zee clutch. Not dropped yet (even despite a fair hammering at Ft Bill over the summer).

It’s the silence that I like about the set up.

patriotpro
    Free Member

OP – do you race? If so use a top-guide.
    Not a racer? Skinny/fat and clutch.

Must say my rear SLX clutch has been a PITA getting it in to the lowest gear on the rear cassette on the last few rides.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Patriotpro. Have you got the limit screws set right or could the hanger have got slightly bent?

hora
    Free Member

Ooo might try this as I’m tired of the chain guide ‘noise’.

Wheres cheapish for Zee clutchless?

nickwatson
    Free Member

9 speed non clutch mech with Works Components N/W ring (no guide), and not had a drop yet (on a hardtail). Actually better in the mud as well, as there is less build up of mud, and makes it far easier to clean!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Patriotpro. Have you got the limit screws set right or could the hanger have got slightly bent?

Works during the first 2 thirds of the ride but I have to add more tension before the rides out. The screws need some thread-lock on perhaps??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Ooo might try this as I’m tired of the chain guide ‘noise’.

Wheres cheapish for Zee clutchless?

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Hora, unbelievably when I bought my last one, evans was the cheapest!.

endurokid
    Free Member

I do the odd Enduro race but plan to do a lot more during 2012 so need a reliable set up that I can trust.

My chain is the correct length so no issues there, I understand the top guide doesn’t hold the chain taught like the bottom guide does but I can imagine it helps a little towards reducing chain noise.

Common concensus is that the NW wide rings work with a clutch mech so I think I’ll go down this route.

patriotpro
    Free Member

evans was the cheapest!.

Wash your mouth out! 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Works during the first 2 thirds of the ride but I have to add more tension before the rides out. The screws need some thread-lock on perhaps??

Hmmm strange, If I were you I would start over with fresh cables, inner and outer. And check the hanger for alignment, re-adjust the limit screws and make sure the b tension screw isn’t putting the mech into the cassette.

Hora, arnt you still on a 2001 XTR 9spd rear mech? I think all clutch mechs are 10spd. You will need the whole lot as 10spd mechs don’t work with 9spd shifters. If you still want to do it, and I would, have a look at bike-discount.de I got my SLX setup for just over £100 plus the chainring of your choise.

ahwiles
    Free Member

endurokid – Member

I do the odd Enduro race but plan to do a lot more during 2012 so need a reliable set up that I can trust.

never mind your chain retaining arrangements, can i have a go in your time machine?

(i’ve got a few hundred quid to invest in lottery tickets and bitcoins)

I_Ache
    Free Member

endurokid – Member
    I do the odd Enduro race but plan to do a lot more during 2012

Your going to need something a bit more complicated than a Thick/Thin chainring for that.

Edit: Balls beaten to it.

hora
    Free Member

The Zee looks direct mount? How does that work? I have a 08 Orange Patriot. Not sure if its compatible?

endurokid
    Free Member

hahahahaha!!!!

2014, doh!!!!!!!!

😳

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just get a non direct mount hora. They are all direct mount compatible but all of them I have seen have the mounts for fitting a normal frame.

The direct mount bit is the silver bolt on the left. The normal mount is the higher silver bolt to its right. This will bolt onto any frame with a standard mech hanger.

tang
    Free Member

My friend who podiums at the EWS and ran xx1 last season still had to run a guide on the bike.

hora
    Free Member

Well explained- cheers I_ache 😀

banks
    Free Member

@aaron few local lads are running springy bikes without guides with pretty good results. Me i’m far too clumsy to ride without some sort of bash guard.

HindlePie
    Free Member

How do the SRAM clutched compare to the shimano ones?

endurokid
    Free Member

@banks, you reckon this will be a good set up on the Covert or should I stick with a guide?

TBH I forgot about the taco on my E13, this has taken a couple of knocks over the past few weeks, without doubt I’d have a knackered chain & ring without it, think I may reconsider?!

Unless you can buy an ISCG05 taco only? Do these exist?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Can you really ditch your Chainguide if running a clutch mech?’ is closed to new replies.