Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can you re-use Shimano Olives and Inserts
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Can you re-use Shimano Olives and Inserts when shortening hoses and refitting them? My carefully constructed programme of upgrades has gone wrong due some numpty ordering a “Universal” olive and insert and not a BH90 olive and insert – apparently the inserts are thinner on the BH90 ones…

Ta

riddoch

No harm in trying, if you need to bleed on a regular basis you’ll know what needs fixing. I reused the olive on mine when swapping calipers and is worked fine.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m sure you’re not meant to, but I’ve reused too without problems.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks will roll the dice and see how it goes!

portydave
    Free Member

The universal olive you have will be fine, as the external hose diameter is the same. You can cut the old olive off the hose with a hacksaw, and then slice the end of the hose lengthways with a knife to remove and reuse the insert.

taxi25
    Free Member

slightly off track, but I always have trouble getting the inserts into the hose. Any trick to this ???

bomba
    Free Member

slightly off track, but I always have trouble getting the inserts into the hose. Any trick to this ?

That yellow block that comes with the bleed kit; put the hose in it, put it in a vice and **** the insert in with a hammer.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Is you’re careful you should be fine. And yeah clamp the blocks in a vice and tap it in with a clean hammer.

J273
    Free Member

What’s the best way of getting the olive on? Is it the same as hopes as in shaving a bit of the outer plastic hose off?

I’ve just re – rooted mine though the internal routing of my new frame and now trying to get the olive back on the hose which is proving difficult.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Are you reusing them? Quite tricky to get old ones back on. But yeah just trim the end of the hose really neatly with a super sharp blade. The sharper the blade the neater it’ll be. Then the olive should push on. Take care though because it may get caught on the hose as you start to push it on.

J273
    Free Member

Yeah re – using the old ones. I’ve ordered some new olives and inserts but after seeing this thread thought I’d have a go getting the old ones back on.

Am I supposed to just shave a little off the black hose or take all the plastic off down to the inner hose? I know what’s how hopes are which I’ve done a few times. These are the first shimano’s I’ve done though.

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can you re-use Shimano Olives and Inserts’ is closed to new replies.