Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can you re-bed in pads?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

I’m new to this hydro/disk stuff and apparently I didn’t bed my pads in properly on my ‘cross bike. Came with Sram Red 22 (I know, far to posh for ‘cross but the bike was in a sale). I think they are organic pads. Can I do something to rebed them in? They are very grabby and squeek and have that sort of dry grind with hard braking. Guess it could be easier just to go with some new sintered pads and bed them in from new? After using cantis for years I really don’t want all that extra power!

fadda

Gotta be worth taking some sandpaper to them, to remove any glazing from the braking surfaces. Then you bed them in again…

tjagain

yes

As above. Bedding in is a funny thing – some bikes / riders / pad compounds simply bed in in normal use, others have to work at it. What you need for a deliberate bed in is repeated hard stops preferably downhill pedalling against the brakes. You need to get the pads very hot. 3 things happen – the pads cure under heat and pressure, the pad conforms to the surface of the disc and a microscopic layer of pad material gets laid down on the surface of the disc.

I’d give them a light surface sand and try bedding in as described

sillyoldman

As above but don’t brake to a standstill otherwise you risk leaving more pad material at that point which causes a pulsing sensation when braking.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Great, thanks for your help!

joemmo
    Free Member

After using cantis for years I really don’t want all that extra power!

It’s just a matter of adapting and having a lighter touch. The main benefit is being able to brake easily from the hoods, no need to grab a handful of lever when you need to slow down.

Do not fear the power:)

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

I do mine on the driveway due to a lack of hills near me. Ride hard against the brakes in a very low gear(one at a time)to get them hot. Then spray the rotors evenly with water from a trigger spray bottle so they steam off. Do this a few times. It has never failed to work in my experience and can be done in clean conditions…………..stops squeely brakes as well.

ceept

I don’t like the idea of spraying hot metal with cold water, the rapid cooling makes the metal brittle. Granted I’ve never seen a bicycle disc shatter (I have seen other metal things shatter after rapid cooling), but it doesn’t seem a good idea to me.

Progressivly get the brakes very hot, but never lock the wheel (as you end up with a thicker layer of pad material in one spot on the disc has always worked for me. For cars & bikes.

tjagain

Aye – don’t do the water thing. its all about getting the pads and discs up to heat. complicated by all brakes use a mix of adherent and abrasive friction and the proportions of this varies as it also does with differnt compounds.

nickhit3
    Free Member

I would be astonished if brake discs weren’t treated in such a way as to cope with rapid cooling and heating..? the above ‘risk’ of rapid cooling with water sounds like BS to me. Never had an issue bedding in discs this way. Or crossing a stream following a long descent etc..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can you re-bed in pads?’ is closed to new replies.