Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Can you prove your bike is yours?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

a receipt, a photograph of the rider on the bike seized, a house insurance document/bicycle insurance document

Road bike – receipt
    MTBs – photo evidence.

So yes. Phew.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But why should you have to prove your ownership to a random stop? Every day it gets worse…

uplink
    Free Member

I’m not a ‘yoof’ any more so I wouldn’t expect to be stopped TBH

I may have the odd receipt for bits here and there for my bikes, but otherwise no proof
    I don’t believe they would have any grounds to keep any bike anyway

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s not what grounds you believe They have but what They interpret Their powers as being…

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

fair enough if they actually have reasonable evidence to prove that it isn’t yours but no one will have evidence on them at the time uless they have some pics on their phone or something. sounds like a waste oftime to me because most bikes are not stolen

portlyone

My frames are second hand but most of the rest is bought from new. Have various pics of the bike but less of me riding it!

tang
    Free Member

Most of us probably have a phone/camera/video camera on us that we could bore anyone to death with all our pics/vids of low speed trail action or bike leaning/hanging on various things in different seasons. Then we could always do a full rundown of parts and costs plus the advantages of 1×10/ss/sus platforms……

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think it could be considered a “random stop”

Police officers are of course not stopping every cyclist out riding their bike. People are only stopped from riding their bikes if an officer believes that the bike could be stolen, Lancashire Police told us. For instance, a man who is riding a woman’s bike or a child’s bike will be stopped as that instantly rouses suspicion

sharki
    Free Member

mines got a picture of me on the seat tube, so it must be mine as are all inbreds.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Is a step-through or folding bike considered to be a womens’ bike?

emsz
    Free Member

My CRC account?

would that work?

uplink
    Free Member

You know, reading the story you linked, they are stopping suspected thieves and asking them to prove that they own something – this no different from them seizing property from other suspected criminals and asking them to prove they own it and or bought it with legitimate funds

It’s been going on for a long time and I don’t see anything wrong with it

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Well I do. Remember how it used to be the case that you were considered innocent until proven otherwise and the OB needed solid grounds for a stop?

uplink
    Free Member

I really don’t see any cause for concern

Really not wishing to offend here but …. looking at the other posts you’ve started recently, you do tend to see a lot of doom, disaster and general negativity out there
    Look on the bright side, it’ll never be that bad [probably] 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be happy if a Crim who’d been stopped on suspicion of nicking bikes was asked to “prove ownership”
    Seems right to me that.

tthew

Register your bikes on Immobilse.com. Would be adequate proof of ownership I’d have thought, if you are concerned about such things plus you are more likely to get it back if nicked then subsequently recovered. You can put other valuable items on there too, and it’s free, (unless you choose to buy their posessions marking products, but it’s not compulsary)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But why should you have to prove your ownership to a random stop? Every day it gets worse…

unless of course you see some scrote riding past on your bike and you tell the copper and he says that he can’t do anything about it. That would be worse

FuzzyWuzzy

Didn’t we already do this last week? At the end of the day, on the very unlikely chance I’d get stopped, it would be a small inconvenience to know that the chances of some scrote getting stopped having stolen my bike were increased.

KonaTC

After having a bike stolen last year it was a bit of a faff trying to prove my bike was mine to both the police and insurance company, so I now have:

Receipts, photos of all main parts of my bikes, frame numbers, post code with UV pen on frame, forks, and wheels; anti tamper postcode tagging. All this info held in two separate places. Also I take regular pics when out on my bikes.

zbonty

I’m going to start heli-taping my receipts to the bike, y’know, just in case like.

Cougar

Register your bikes on Immobilse.com.

Ah, thanks for that. I signed up to that site like five years ago and then promptly forgot where it was. Nice one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or Duct Taping them..

I’ve got loadsa Duct Tape me..

And Receipts..

footflaps

If you read the article it sounds pretty reasonable and fairly implemented.

deluded
    Free Member

Yes – both are registered on http://www.immobilise.com/ with photos and serial numbers recorded.

Stoner
    Free Member

+1

all my bikes are up on immobilise with photos and descriptions covering various builds depending on what I feel like (i.e. SS, rigid, HT, Rohloff etc). Frame numbers recorded and important serial numbers (i.e. rohloff or forks).

Would be easy to call them up on a smartphone should the need arise.

Flaperon

A truly inspired policeman today gave me a quick quiz after he spotted that my clipless pedals and trainers combination wasn’t working well. Seemed happy with my explanation that I was riding it to the bike shop to get new forks fitted (said forks sticking out of a backpack) and had to walk back.

Wish I was that on the ball.

tthew

I bought one of the little identitag things for my new bike as an extra measure. That’s dead neat an unobtrusive glued inside the frame, but unforunately it comes with an asolutely massive serial numbered warning sticker that looks really shonky stuck on. Suppose anything that reduces the chance of a theft is probably worth persevering with.

Can I just say, I not an employee, shareholder or such. Just think that it’s worth knowing about.

deluded
    Free Member

A truly inspired policeman today gave me a quick quiz after he spotted that my clipless pedals and trainers combination wasn’t working well. Seemed happy with my explanation that I was riding it to the bike shop to get new forks fitted (said forks sticking out of a backpack) and had to walk back.

Wish I was that on the ball.

Sounds like he had reason to stop you and having questioned you was happy with your explanation? What’s the big deal (or point to your post)? Should he have deduced that having not spoken with you?

easygirl

Really dispair with some posters on this site
    The police are carrying out an operation to try and deter thieves and recover stolen property
    They are stopping people riding bikes who they suspect are stolen
    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

easygirl

Really despair with some posters on this site
    The police are carrying out an operation to try and deter thieves and recover stolen property
    They are stopping people riding bikes who they suspect are stolen
    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

easygirl

Oops, double post after correcting my spelling mistake !!

cheez0
    Free Member

agree with easygirl..

You wouldn’t mind the plod stopping some scrote if it was YOUR bike he was riding.

Whether you’d get it back again coz you didnt have the receipt is another thing! 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m going to start heli-taping my receipts to the bike, y’know, just in case like.

I can see this working.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I got stopped a few weeks back, on my way home from a cider festival 😆

Copper one asked lots of questions about the bike, while copper 2 looked very carefully at it, and they confirmed it must be mine, as I knew every little detail about it!

They then suggested I walk the rest of the way home 😳

v8ninety

Sounds like he had reason to stop you and having questioned you was happy with your explanation? What’s the big deal (or point to your post)? Should he have deduced that having not spoken with you?

I read that as a comment in wholehearted support of the bobby in questions actions mate. Which I agree with. Of course I could be wrong…

CountZero

As both of the bikes I usually ride are built up from frames and bits inherited from older bikes showing receipts would be damned awkwards, but I could bore the cops on an Olympic level regarding the details of the bikes, plus there are pics on Flickr showing them in their various stages of development.

deluded
    Free Member

v8nintey,

I read Flaperon’s comment the other way (sarcastic) – if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick then I apologise. 😳

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Can you prove your bike is yours?’ is closed to new replies.