Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Can your plane do this?
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/klic_TAX5pw[/video]

bigdaddy

Holy moly!!! That’s unbelievable…

scotroutes

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Could it do the weeds on my patio?

bigdaddy

Ok have I been duped?! Even if it’s a model that’s some control…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ok have I been duped?

😆

CountZero

The last thing you’d want is a sudden brief reduction in thrust…
    What plane is it? Looks a bit like a Rafale

Drac

Nope but…

[video]https://youtu.be/wIXVuAt0BmE[/video]

Ok have I been duped?

andyl
    Free Member

i think if that was real there would be no tarmac left on the runway and everyone stood around would be deaf.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

i think if that was real there would be no tarmac left on the runway and everyone stood around would be deaf.

Back in the day, the Vulcans used to show off at Finningley (Lived there. Twice). Their signature show move was a low pass along the runway, and then they’d do a slow speed stall climb at the end and open the taps. Full gas. Sounded like the gates of hell being opened by Lemmy. They would then go skywards like a homesick angel.

The noise. Oh my….the noise!

They had to stop it, sadly, as they were ripping the runway to shreds.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

The grass would have set on fire at the very least I guess

JAG

CaptainFlashheart; I’ve seen the Vulcan perform that manoeuvre. The noise made my whole body vibrate – most uncomfortable but what an amazing experience!

There are plenty of model aeroplanes with enough power:weight ratio to perform like the OP’s video. Used to be called ‘prop-hanging’ when there were no jet engines for model aeroplanes 😀

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

They used to have a Lightning do that at the Burma Star day at Waterbeach a long while ago, all you could see was a light at the end of the runway, very low, and approaching VERY quickly but completely silent, as it drew level with the crowd it rotated into a vertical climb with earth shattering noise and lifted like a rocket-still makes me smile thinking about it now.

avdave2

The noise. Oh my….the noise!

I used to listen to them running Harrier engines to destruction at P&EE when I was on Foulness, the noise even from a couple of miles away was extraordinary, it was quite painful to think of what they were doing to these poor things.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

What plane is it?

A very small one.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Nah its just far away

crazy-legs

Back in the day, the Vulcans used to show off at Finningley (Lived there. Twice). Their signature show move was a low pass along the runway, and then they’d do a slow speed stall climb at the end and open the taps. Full gas. Sounded like the gates of hell being opened by Lemmy. They would then go skywards like a homesick angel.

Quite a few years ago (not long after they’d got the Vulcan back flying) I went to the Leuchars Airshow and the Vulcan did that on take-off – not quite as dramatically but about the nearest they could get to it within the stricter regulations.

Sadly the displays got tamer over the years as the engine and airframe limitations were realised although it did do a very good display at Swansea last year. The Leuchars one was spectacular though, a real highlight.

Northwind

Yeah, I don’t remember this but they used to do a slow pass then point the loud end at the crowd and nail it. My dad took me to Leuchars one year, apparently I dropped like I’d been shot and went pretty much catatonic 😆 Perfectly normal response to having the voice of god shouting at you.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I always rather liked a ‘sporty’ VC10 take-off.

Four Conways at max chat and the nose pointed very much upwards, some might say they could hold their own against the usual suspects.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I lived at the end of leuchars F4s are pretty noisy at full chat too

GrahamS

I suggest the OP avoids getting in this guy’s helicopter:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VDdHJDQn3Y[/video]

😀

fasthaggis

I bet he’s called Chuck

ChrisL

crazy-legs – Member
    Quite a few years ago (not long after they’d got the Vulcan back flying) I went to the Leuchars Airshow and the Vulcan did that on take-off – not quite as dramatically but about the nearest they could get to it within the stricter regulations.

Back in the ’80s Leuchars’ Phantoms would often have to perform real QRA scrambles during the airshow. I remember that they could be pretty loud too if they really were serious about getting into the air to meet a Bear or two as quickly as possible.

Northwind

GrahamS – Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFMX4B2PXo

WillH

This one features a real plane…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jz957KRXzQ[/video]

My google-fu is failing me, but there’s a video somewhere of an Airbus Beluga doing a slow pass, essentially hovering, then the pilot gives it full beans and it does an almost vertical take-off. It’s designed to carry huge payloads, and it’s empty for the airshow, but bloody impressive none the less.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It’s a tiddly small turbine, not an Olympus with the afterburner lit.

eddiebaby
    Free Member
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Can your plane do this?’ is closed to new replies.