Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can you pack tubeless sealant in a bike bag?
  • bigdean

Planning a holiday and managed to borrow a bike bag, can just about fit 29er wheels in but have to deflate them alot which might pop the bead. So can i pack sealant in the bike bag (hold luggage) to take with me?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not?

And no need to deflate, it’s bollocks.

bigdean

Thanks, they dont fit unless you deflate the tyres.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I took a bottle of sealant with me no problem. Managed to pack in quite a few bits in the bike bag too.

pdw
    Free Member

Although make sure the bottle is well sealed. One of those bottles with a flip-top lid which has had the seal broken will almost certainly squirt sealant everywhere as the pressure drops. Might be an interesting test of the sealant, but it’s likely to be messy whatever happens.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes. Use the single use 2oz type that are foul sealed.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you have sealant in the tyre, deflate it and it unseats from the bead in transit you’re going to have a Bad Time.

You could clingfilm the bottle top to be doubly sure.

Also, if you’re flying BA and are using business class for the extra allowance then make sure the baggage handler knows it!

footflaps

You don’t need to deflate your tyres for the flight, it’s a complete myth. The hold is pressurised the same as the cabin at about 800mb, which won’t cause your tyres to explode. My road bikes have done 10s of flights at 120psi….

legend
    Free Member

The hold is pressurised the same as the cabin at about 800mb, which won’t cause your tyres to explode.

Even if it wasn’t, the difference in pressure between sea level and 36,000ft is only 10PSi anyway

singlespeedstu

I once took a bottle of Stans on a flight and it killed everyone dead.
    Including me.
    I’ll not be doing that again.

footflaps

I’ve also had no problem taking Stans fluid in the bike box. C02 cartridges are much more hit and miss, some airports explicitly allow them and some don’t, had them removed once or twice IIRC.

simondbarnes

You don’t need to deflate your tyres for the flight

The OP does.

bigdean

Thanks everyone.
    Yes I do need to let the tyres down to get them to fit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can you pack tubeless sealant in a bike bag?’ is closed to new replies.