Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • can you mix and match disc rotors
  • Vortexracing

I have some Formula K18 rotors af varying sizes and I’m looking for a set of brakes for my next bike. it would be nice to be able to use existing wheels and tyres and don’t want the hassle of swapping rotores every time I choose a bike to ride. So I was wodering, will formula rotors work with Shimano brakes ie Saint/LX or SLX, plus are the also compatible with Avids or Magura.

I’m assuming they won’t work with Hayes as they are imperial.

Ta

Dave

ton

yes, well i do and have…..

Vortexracing

are there any that don’t work well together?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

on the stiffee i have a 200mm shimano running with k18s and a 180 avid on the rear.
    hayes are the worst brakes ever……..fact

Junkyard
    Free Member

not found any yet used
    Shimano centrelock
    Hope
    Hope floating
    Avid
    Magura
    One with no name

Used shimano , hope and Avid brakes all fine

Only issue Hope brake adapters are a bit wider than avid or Shimano ones and did not fit the brakes.
    Bring yer wheels round and we can see if they fit avid brakes but I would assume yes.

shredder
    Free Member

I have used Hope floating rotors with avid calipers before with no problems. 160 calipers and 160 rotors

But have a slightly different question I am trying to answer at the moment, about rotor size.

Going to buy some Avid Elixir

My question is – the front Avid rotor is 185mm and I want to run the Hope which is 183mm.

Will the 2mm worth of less braking surface make that much difference or am i missing something else ?

Thanks
    Rich

nickc

In terms of rotor diameter 180mm is 180mm whether its Formula Shimano, whatever. for the slightly odd sizes (yer 183mm, 185mm) i’d be a little more circumspect, bike pads aren’t that big, 2mm off is quite a chunk, and could in extreme cases put a ridge in the pad.

if you’ve got lying about, then worth a look at i guess, but I wouldn’t buy odd sized rotors myself. (says the man running Shimano calipers on hope floating rotors)

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is diameter you are getting 180 /83/185 but breaking on the radius so only half the difference out … would not worry me personally and washers will sort those mm if you are masively concerned running a 183 on a 185 adapter without issue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘can you mix and match disc rotors’ is closed to new replies.