• This topic has 41 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Can you make one teabag last for a whole day?
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I always seem to be running out of the beggars,is there some way of reusing them or making them last?Yours,can’t be arsed to walk to the shops.

augustuswindsock

No – unless you only have 1 cup of tea all day!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No and nor should you. If you’re not going to make a decent brew then what’s the point. Just buy bigger boxes of bags. You can get sacks full of them from Costco that’ll last you years.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Fair point Mr W,but the emergency is today so I,m looking for a very short term solution.

kayak23

It’s not the initial quantity of teabags one possesses, as running out of them leaves the exact same predicament.

My advice is to hide a few emergency ones about the place such as in pockets,in the car glovebox, behind the telly, in your shoes etc so that should you run out of the main supply, you always have a backup.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Good thinking Batman.

curto80
    Free Member

People that re-use tea bags will be second against the wall only to people who put milk in tea when the revolution comes

jambalaya
    Free Member

No. Will do 2 cups though inc via a small teapot we have

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes. Take one bag and stew the living daylights out of i to make a super-stewed tea concentrate.

Water down measures of the concentrate with boiling water through the course of the day.

IANATD*

I am not a tea drinker.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Have you tried phoning the police to see if they’ll drop some off for you?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Curto,you actually drink tea without milk!That must be truly horrible.Suppose the lack of dilution would increase the life of the tea bag.Think I,d rather drink water though.Unless I use even more sugar.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Good idea gt,I cant cycle down to the station though because I have no lock.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Should be safe enough there.

CountZero

curto80 – Member
    People that re-use tea bags will be second against the wall only to people who put milk in tea when the revolution comes

Ah, so you only drink white or green tea, then. There’s posh!
    While I do, I enjoy a big mug of tea as well, with milk, but fairly strong with it, (my Singletrack ‘Not jumpy not grumpy’ mug bucket has been disinterred from the back of the cupboard).
    One thing, though, never, ever squeeze out a teabag, it makes the drink bitter.
    I buy big boxes of Yorkshire Tea bags, because own brand bags are so unpredictable, sometimes needing two bags for one halfway decent mug.

slackalice
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    It’s not the initial quantity of teabags one possesses, as running out of them leaves the exact same predicament.

My advice is to hide a few emergency ones about the place such as in pockets,in the car glovebox, behind the telly, in your shoes etc so that should you run out of the main supply, you always have a backup.

Funnily enough, I do keep an emergency reserve of life’s little essentials… Well, tea bags, coffee and stash 😆

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I think I,m now down to one decaffeinated teabag.Dont suppose I’m going to get much if a buzz out of its reuse.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d imagine the onset of cramp would be problematic.

kayak23

My god I can’t believe I’ve found a kindred spirit!

I’m forever having to politely slurp disgusting brews I’ve been made when the maker unapologetically squeezes the life out of the poor teabag.
    NO NO NO! 👿

lister

Normal tea, drunk weak and black. It’s the only way.
    One tea bag sees me good for a few cups when I’m camping.

onehundredthidiot

Was talking to an old chap that had fought at El Alamein. He told many war stories one being making tea last. Use it then dry it in the sun repeat until the bosch are defeated.

His big regret was burying beer in the sand to keep it cool but due to a bit of surprise contact they had to move quick. Never did find the beer.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d imagine the onset of cramp would be problematic.

for the giver or the receiver? 😆

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Just reused my tea bag,not to bad actually with a drop if Burger king sugar.

IdleJon

Rubbish!

His big regret was burying beer in the sand to keep it cool but due to a bit of surprise contact they had to move quick. Never did find the beer.

Archaeologists will find the beer in 2000 years and assume it was ritual offerings to a mysterious deity.

wiggles
    Free Member

no, you`d have to let them breath at some point

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

No cramp yet,what’s that all about?

squirrelking
    Free Member

for the giver or the receiver?

Giver of course.

No cramp yet,what’s that all about?

I’m sure if you had spoken to the previously mentioned El Alamein veteran he would have explained all about Arabian goggles.

bigblackshed

One of my ex-bosses used to make a tea bag last all day, no problem.

He’d also drink 20+ mugs a day. Black as well.

The first cup the tea bag barely touched the water. By the end of the day it needed a good swish. It was never squeezed, ever. If it was he’d die of tea poisoning.

swanny853

I agree with this in general and would also note that for some reason if it’s yorkshire tea (which is the tea club tea of choice at work) if the bag is squeezed I find it calls to mind a taste or more possibly smell that is to me irrevocably connected to potatoes. I’ve never been able to reasonably figure out why.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Like your bosses thinking BBs.Might give that a try as part of my zero budgeting regime.

Poopscoop

Arabian goggles.

Well,like “docking”, I live and learn!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

irrevocably connected to potatoes. I’ve never been able to reasonably figure out why.

No idea utah Yorkshire tea does seem to be quite far down the industrial scale, no need for a proper flavour just turn the water brown.

Anyway bags are a fail, leaves every time

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Don’t think leaves would last a full day.

spacemonkey

Darn sarf, one bag would make (and last) half a cup. It’s the shitty water we have in these parts – absolutely kills the flavour. That’s why I’m a double bagger these 😉 Can’t abide anything other than a rest strong brew.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get a water filter and save on kettles too

chvck
    Free Member

Rubbish!

It releases tannins, which are bitter. http://www.teaanswers.com/squeeze-tea-bag/

IdleJon

It releases tannins, which are bitter

I know that but my brain and taste buds can’t taste them so I’ll call rubbish again. 😀 Or maybe I like bitter tea? I shall experiment. Having said that I don’t tend to squeeze my teabags to death – if the makes any sense. I only squeeze to get the bulk of water out of them. Can we define ‘squeeze’? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Leave it in there longer, let it soak and lift it out, mashing with a spoon is definitely out.
    Though with something like this you can’t squeeze it just let it infuse

and this when in hotels

IdleJon

mashing with a spoon is definitely out.

I just realised how weird I am. I rarely use a spoon when making tea (other than the odd occasion when we have loose tea). I’ll just grab the floating teabag out of the top of the mug and gently pinch the top to squeeze the excess water out without scalding my fingers. I count it as a failure if I need to recover the teabag with a spoon.

martinhutch

I’ll just grab the floating teabag out of the top of the mug and gently pinch the top to squeeze the excess water out without scalding my fingers. I count it as a failure if I need to recover the teabag with a spoon.

Same here.

Extra points if I can lob a new teabag into my mug from the other side of the kitchen, and hit the bin with the used one from a similar distance without splattering tea up the side of the kitchen cabinets. 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Scaring the water with a tea bag? Is he trying the homeopathic approach??? I’ve heard of weak tea but that’s just ripping it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Can you make one teabag last for a whole day?’ is closed to new replies.