Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can you jump start a mower?
  • bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

I’ve gone and left the keys in my mower, a ride on mountfield and its battery is flat. Won’t turn over, anyone know if I can jump start using my car and jump leads ? Don’t want to damage anything.

JAG

If it’s a 12v system in the lawnmower and car then it should be fine 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes as long as the voltage is the same then you should have no issues

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

12v so I’ll give it a go. Just like a car in that once started I just keep it running for a while to get it fully charged?
    Thanks

neilwheel
    Free Member
    boblo
    Free Member

If the battery is fully discharged, it can refuse to take a recharge. Mine’s done that a few times and I’ve had to replace it. I now keep it on an Optimate like the motorboiks.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Now confused with my limited electrical knowledge..
    Would you try it ? mower has a 12v 18Ah 200A battery?

boblo
    Free Member

I would (did), car to mower. The earth didn’t stop rotating and I wasn’t frazzled to a crisp but YMMV… 😉

I was just recording that even after I started mine, the battery was knackered so running it for a bit longer was pointless as it wouldn’t take a charge. Again, YMMV.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Car has a 12v L2 400/640A battery

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Found this online.

Sound advice ?

If your mower uses a 12-volt battery, use the jumper cables as you would when starting another car. Hook the positive cable to the positive terminal of the car battery. Then connect the other end of that cable to the positive terminal of the mower battery.
    Then connect the negative cable to the car battery’s negative terminal, and the other end to the frame of the mower. They come off in exactly the opposite order.

It then says to not start the car, just connecting as above should be enough ?

hols2
    Free Member

just connecting as above should be enough ?

Yes, as long as you don’t flatten the car battery trying to start the mower.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

It worked!
    Thanks all. I darent stop now.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Starting and stopping now too. Might get the mowing done in time for more trail fettling now… whoo hoo

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t know where you are but about 50 mins ago, there was, a minor anomaly in the fabric of space/time. Felt like the earth juddered slightly on its axis. Was that you starting your mower? 🙂

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

That’s me. North Hampshire is the new magnetic pole.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can you jump start a mower?’ is closed to new replies.