Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Can you "hear" this silent gif?
  • Poopscoop

Sorry if it’s been done.

Oddly, yes I can hear it! Lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42237092

chvck
    Free Member

I can’t hear it but I can kind of feel it in my ears, like the pressure of it.

Poopscoop

Yeah, that’s similar to what I “sense”. Lol

DezB
    Free Member

Nope, I can see the gif shake when the pylon lands, but nothing audible.

Northwind

I know I can’t hear it but I can absolutely visualise- earalise? the sound. Quite odd actually! Cool link

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, obvz I can see the pylon “bounce” and when it lands the gif “wobbles” but I get no sound at all.

Clearly I’m not the target audience for this sort of “thing”

legend
    Free Member

Of course not, it’s just a gi……..oh!

scotroutes

I get the sensation. The other one with the elephant is cool too.

Milkie
    Free Member

Wow! If I turn my speakers to 11 I. An hear the static on the lines 😆

IGMC

myti
    Free Member

Never mind the pylons are they seriously saying that dress is white and gold not blue and black?

akira

Surely its just your other senses filling in the blanks, a bit like when your eyes don’t fully see something but your brain does some dot to dot to compensate.

shermer75
    Free Member

Never mind the pylons are they seriously saying that dress is white and gold not blue and black?

Umm…..

martinhutch

I think it’s the signal caused by my brain clearing the decks for the anticipated arrival of an actual sound.

GrahamS

Yeah same as martinhutch. I think your eyes go, “Oh big noise inbound, adjust the amplifier” so you sort of get the volume turning down but no actual thud.

legend
    Free Member

but would you have heard it if you hadn’t been asked if you could hear…..?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Q: if you say you can hear when you watch the GIF, can you still hear it if you close your eyes?

spectabilis
    Free Member

Wow how strange! And even more so looking at the still before hitting play you really don’t anticipate it sounding like a trumpet!

Poopscoop

The human brain takes a few short cuts to make sense of the world I guess?

Even so…. It can’t cope with Brexit! 😀

vickypea
    Free Member

I can hear it!

ferrals
    Free Member

Weird! Definately heard a thud 😕

Cougar

Yeah yeah, these things are always a load of boll- … wait, what?

DezB
    Free Member

legend –
    but would you have heard it if you hadn’t been asked if you could hear…..?

Good point – I’ve seen that gif before, ages ago and never had any thought there was sound with it, imagined or otherwise.

myopic
    Free Member

Do you still ‘hear’ it with the sound turned off?

kennyp
    Free Member

Yes I “hear” it. A regular thump thump sort of sound. Well obviously it isn’t a sound, but I still “hear” it. The mind is a strange thing.

tjagain

I don’t hear it nor is my tinnitus affected as some folk claim.

WillH

myti – Member

Too obvious, no-one’s going to bite! However the weird brain antics are similar for that and the pylon one. I was always certain the dress was blue and black. It was as clear as the day is long, no ifs, no buts, just bleedin’ obvious. Then about a year after it first went viral I was showing it to a colleague who had somehow never heard of it. As I was standing by his desk looking at the image on his monitor, it just changed. One second it was blue and black, the next it was white and gold (This was after after a few minutes’ looking at it). And from that point on I couldn’t even begin to understand how I’d ever thought it was blue and black, it was so obviously white and gold. I was properly speechless for a good few seconds as my brain tried to figure out what it had just seen.

The pylons one though… no sound for me but I do sort of understand the ‘feeling’ theory. It’s almost like you flinch slightly at the expected shock.

Cougar

The dress thing was a poorly exposed misleading photo.

darrell
    Free Member

nope not a bit

scaredypants

I don’t “get” the pylons one – I suppose my brain has no subconscious idea of what a skipping pylon might sound like (cartoony “bwoing” would probably be my conscious expectation). A boulder falling to the ground with the same camera shake might work better, I’d have thought

Houns

I sense a thud, as TJ it doesn’t affect my tinnitus

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I tried “NOT” hearing it….. By listening to the quite noisy room around me … but I still could hear the thud.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its definitely not silent……. i can hear it sucking 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

No..

johndoh
    Free Member

At first I thought I couldn’t hear a thing then realised I could hear a thud as it landed. I then thought ‘nope, it’s just my heartbeat’, switched it off and… the noise immediately stopped.

legend
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

I don’t “get” the pylons one – I suppose my brain has no subconscious idea of what a skipping pylon might sound like (cartoony “bwoing” would probably be my conscious expectation). A boulder falling to the ground with the same camera shake might work better, I’d have though

Don’t think that’s how ‘it’ works. There’s a version of the gif where the entire top 3/4 or so of the imagine has been cropped. So leaving just the ground occasionally shaking – it still works

rascal
    Free Member

Nope – it’s silent.
    There is a feeling though – almost like you feel the vibrations when it lands.

legend
    Free Member

I think anyone looking for a proper bang/thud/wallop/boing/whatever is going to be disappointed tbh

vickypea
    Free Member

The wierd thing is, I could hear it last night (a thud) but not this morning!

natrix
    Free Member

scotroutes

The feeling seems more pronounced on a larger screen. I assume that’s because the eyes see more shaking in their field of vision.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Can you "hear" this silent gif?’ is closed to new replies.