Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can you have a test to establish your roots?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw some where that you could.
    Found out today that the rumor was that my father was an American airman based in Northolt.
    And that’s all I have.

nickjb
    Free Member

A DNA test can show where your ancestors are from as a proportion. From that it is possible to make a pretty good stab at where your recent family are from but it’ll be pretty rough.

woody2000

A dna test may indicate roughly which part of the world you hail from genetically speaking. The UK populace is a pretty mixed bag though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you think the UK is a mixed bag the US is more so…

What do you actually want to know?

binners

Is this where Norman Tebbit asks you about cricket?

oldgit
    Free Member

I wondered if a test might confirm my origins especially after finding out about foreign roots i.e a test might back up that claim. At least I’d have something.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not many biological tests that will tell you American Airman, American isn’t really much of a nationality either with plenty of European’s heading out there (plus many others)

oldgit
    Free Member

Just going to come up as European isn’t it? Bugger.

tonyg2003

Tests like ancestory.com are actually quite inaccurate and they will only tell you general population roots. However as said here “American” is so diverse genetically it’s unlikely to aid you. Having said that it might help satisfy your curiosity. Sequencing you mitochondria is the best method but it does help for paternity.

maccruiskeen

Are you trying to confirm that your father was a particular American airman? As in the rumour is your father was Brad, brad was an airman. Or is it just ‘an airman’.

You could have your DNA compare to a supposed relative if it’s a named individual. You could also have your DNA compared to your own syblings if the issue is more about your parentage being different to theirs rather than the specifics of the supposed parent.

Jeremy Kyle could sort this out for you with his special test, but it does require you to let him lick your balls

scotroutes

Unless he was a negro

bencooper
    Free Member

My mum has been doing a lot of this sort of stuff – DNA analysis of the US side of the family – and they can actually find out quite a bit because, basically, most people don’t move around much. The female line is easier (7 European “Eves” 20,000 yrs ago, apparently), but depending on the mutations can also get interesting things from the male line.

So if it’s an unusual result for the local area, it could tell you that there’s a possibility the story is true.

Northwind

cloudnine
    Free Member

Can’t you get a list of the US airman at the base at that time then start contacting people or source regiment photos.. as it’s suprising how much we can resemble our parents.

hora
    Free Member

^ this

TJ had a DNA test done but its £250.

I strongly suspect my mothers side has a Far East aspect at sonepoint

samuri
    Free Member

Do you have a perchance for giving ladies silk stocking and shooting at friendlies?

CountZero

samuri – Member
    Do you have a perchance for giving ladies silk stocking and shooting at friendlies?

😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can you have a test to establish your roots?’ is closed to new replies.