Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Can you have a flash car in your 40's without appearing to be a ****?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

then again ive never done regular track days and i asusme its expensive!?

The track days aren’t, it’s the fettling you inevitably start to do to the car that is.

My father in law had a Westfield for hill climbing and he spent countless ££££££££££s on it – new suspension, new wheels, new exhaust, new engine, crash car, new chassis, new panels, new brakes, new seats.

Sold it for the same he paid for it but easily spent that twice or three times over on top in the time he had the car.

He now has a flappy-paddle E Class Merc convertible bi-turbo diesel instead. (He’s in his 60s).

jam-bo

Then I’d move on to the next flash car that overtakes me too closely and the same though process would start up all over again.

what do you think when someone in a shit car overtakes you too closely?

emsz
    Free Member

old bloke + flash car (that is a flash car right?)

toby1

It’s a free world, drive what you like and let people judge you, 90% of them will be jealous really 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

No. It’s an actor after he has been styled by a professional stood next to a car that isn’t his.

LoCo
    Free Member

Emsz, file under classic car, you are correct that all us males STW er do look just like too 😯

(my suit’s tweed though)

Edit: if anyone ever sees me looking even slightly like James Martin you have my permission to boot me squarly in the nuts and tell me to belt up.

richmtb

People who drive flash cars are performing a public service.

A bit of noise and visual drama to brighten up peoples day.

Better that than a sea of small diesel hatchback rattling around.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Go for it!

I had numerous flashy-ish cars in my 20s (M3s, TVRs etc) but then had 3 kids (wifey gave up work) and bought a bigger house, at the same time as starting a business so have been sensible for a few years. All being well I might treat myself again next year (35) but will probably get something like an M3 saloon or C63 AMG so I can use it at the weekends with the kids still.

A mate of mine treated himself to a new 360 Spyder when he was 45 – he still has it now 9 years later and although he only does about 3k miles per year in it, he is now at the stage where he’s glad he’s had it, but is unsure he’ll keep it much longer as it probably works out at a pound per mile with insurance and servicing etc, never mind depreciation.

It is nice having a nice car as little financial sense as they make, but maybe get something which won’t lose much money or cost an absolute fortune to run so you can sell it without a big loss if you feel like you’ve scratched the itch.

johndoh
    Free Member

A mate of mine treated himself to a new 360 Spyder when he was 45 – he still has it now 9 years later and although he only does about 3k miles per year in it, he is now at the stage where he’s glad he’s had it, but is unsure he’ll keep it much longer as it probably works out at a pound per mile with insurance and servicing etc, never mind depreciation.

But compare that to a horse – people have them and don’t worry about depreciation. Probably cost as much to run as well. Possibly.

But one thing is for sure – one day they go to muck them out and they are dead and worthless.

Edukator
    Free Member

Riding over the Aubisque last week a large group from Berks/Herts went past in Ferraris, Astons and other such pointy things; at least twenty off them. They all gave me plenty of room and were careful overtaking. Just one couldn’t resist giving his Ferrari full throttle for a second (clutch down) over the summit which provoked a mix of cheers and jeers from the many cyclists up there. Harmless fun but I couldn’t help thinking “****s”.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

But compare that to a horse – people have them and don’t worry about depreciation. Probably cost as much to run as well. Possibly.

But one thing is for sure – one day they go to muck them out and they are dead and worthless.

Agreed, I was just trying to point out that whilst it may seem like a great idea now, and you might well enjoy it for many years, the time may come when the novelty has worn off, or you simply want to reduce outgoings so choosing sensibly (i.e not buying a new Ferrari for £140k that loses £80k over 9 years!) might make it slightly less painful should you decide to sell. If my mate had bought a 3 year old F355 Spyder for £90k, it would probably be worth £45k now so would only have lost him half as much in depreciation.

johndoh
    Free Member

I know, I guess I was just trying to get the point across that you don’t necessarily buy a nice car as an investment, just as many horse riders don’t buy a horse as one.

richmtb

Buying a new car is a financial disaster whatever way you look at it.

Buying a really expensive new car even more so!

johndoh
    Free Member

But boy, they are fun.

8)

LoCo
    Free Member

You can a pretty hefty discount if you can pay in full, if you have to do it on finance is when you really get stung.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Holy shit YES! There’s not much flasher than an Aston. Meester Bond + Aston Martin = Timeless Class 🙂

WCA – I just hope you look after the Maserati better than that poor Honda 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s not about the money.

He says, wistfully dreaming of an Alfa SZ…………

iainc

just this week ordered my new Company Car – i can kid myself that it’s someone else’s financial disaster ❓

somafunk

Track cars are fantastic fun, save your speed for the track and you’ll become a better driver…..and you’ll also have to start saving lots of cash or sell a kidney when the bug bites, brakes,tyres,engine rebuilds,suspension tweaks can easily add up to £30,000+ on a relatively relaxed season blatting about racetracks in this country and abroad. Here’s Trevor Reeves 400bhp+ Mk1 Golf destroying £200,000 supercars at Spa Francorchamps, the power to weight ratio in this thing is like nothing else i’ve ever experienced, and the handling/dynamics will run rings round any road going car bar a very select few exceptions, I sat beside him for a low 7minute lap of the Nurburgring a few years ago at a VW club meeting – strange thing is i felt totally at ease in the car as he’s such a smooth driver and the car is so planted. due to the most amazing suspension set-up.

Cant embed vids for some reason and the preview is borked so if your interested you may have to bugger about with my inept embeding or search for trevor reeves mk1 golf on youtube

Trevor Reeves at Spa below

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj6YBdXQZMs[/video]

Castle Coombe track day below where his brakes overheated and led to a small off, but the car was rebuilt and came back better than ever (very dodgy music in video)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIuSxglBSr0[/video]

His first incarnation of the car destroying a Cateram R500 superlight at Brands Hatch

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3PrGSmEGt0&feature=relmfu[/video]

The man himself, he’s quite an unasumming looking chap and extremely modest like all the great racing drivers – it was his familys furniture business that got burned down in the London/Croydon riots.

Trevor Reeves in Croydon paper

And finally mike’s Kamei Golf exact factory replica down to millimetre precision, totally restored and built from scratch with support from the original factory drivers and engineering company’s who had a hand in the original build of it – don’t ask how much this cost, but it’s oh so worth it, and yeah….it gets ragged rotten, not just for show.

Mikes Kamei Golf

somafunk

Oh – it worked?….i am an embeding god!

messiah
    Free Member

Lovely…

yunki
    Free Member

OP –

No

bigrich

drive a ten year old estate full of 10k bikes, then give the rest to charidee.

then you can be a cock to everyone.

goslow

I’ve got what most people think is a flash car but I’m in my 50’s now 🙂 does that mean I don’t appear to be a “****”?

shifter
    Free Member

For Grum:
    http://youtu.be/4HA8s4hds8I

Can’t embed from this machine : (

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Either you a **** or you ain’t.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Let’s risk humiliation. Can I get away with this* and the Masterati

*not quite finished

Seat needs lowering a bit

Kryton57

WCA, I started to admire you until you posted a pic of yourself in it. By doing so, you’ve reverted to the very issue you were worried about in your OP. 😉

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

<didn’t really want to say that>

somafunk

WCA :You must have some pretty good friggin parties if the beer keg collection is anything to go by 😀 , what’s the car? – an old Jag of some sort?

jambalaya
    Free Member

To answer the original question E) Other

I look at the car first second and third. I don’t really care who is driving it.

A guy who lived nearby had a Veyron and a Ferrari, I’m not sure I could describe him but I remember the cars very clearly. What I do remember is the bit of old 2×4 he used to have on the kerb so he could get in and out of his drive, it used to amuse me given the cost of the cars.

I have a “nice car”, bit of a cliche bought in my mid 40’s but I don’t care. Glad I bought it as I couldn’t afford it now. Just buy it and enjoy it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

WCA :You must have some pretty good friggin parties if the beer keg collection is anything to go by , what’s the car? – an old Jag of some sort?

The Lordswood Thursday night slow ride always ends with a beer in my garage, didn’t you know?

The car is a Scimitar SE5 rebodied as an homage to the 50’s Le Man racers. Definitely work in progress but hopefully finished for the summer when it will share daily driver duties with the Maser

milky1980
    Free Member

Always loved Maserati’s.

Scratched my fast car itch straight away. Had a Mini when I was 17 (1.3 turbo Metro engine, 140 BHP, straight cut gearbox, 0-60 stupidly fast!!) then rebuilt a Rover SD1 V8. Edelbrock tuning kit from the states: 4.2 litre, supercharged, forged cranks and pistons, ~400 BHP (and 5-6 mpg 😯 ). Qualified for classic car insurance, so both cars were cheaper to run than my mate’s Nova’s and Fiesta’s. 😆

Now drive a 1.25 Fiesta that I hate but the bike fits in the back and I don’t care if it gets muddy, scratched etc 🙂

Edit: just saw the faux Le Mans racer thing. You will look a t**t in that.

martinxyz
    Free Member

This car can be driven aged 40+ no problem!

The main thing is that it’s not going to be recognized by the sheep out there so most folk will query what the hell it is. I reckon they would ask themselves ‘what is that?’ over the ‘anker’ jibes if you were seen in a boxter with the roof down.

It’s a funny old world but there’s certain types and ages of car that can give the opposite effect. Driving to work in the summer I saw a heap of old 911’s and one that stood out was from around 1974 (guessing) in kermit green. Now if I saw someone driving past me in a new model of this car over the speed limit I would have to admit to start muttering swear words.. do the same in a 72 carrera and my jaw drops.

Similar has happened recently with a guy driving a beautiful old beetle (that had some poke in it)one morning. I drove past and thought it looked amazing. The same when you drive past old mini’s. They just pizz all over new mini’s.. Especially the ones with ‘100% BMW free’ stickers in the rear window when they are stuck at a standstill in front of a bmw mini. :O)

martinxyz
    Free Member

Somafunk,I just watched the Golf/Caterham vid but never read anything beforehand. It was fun to see a Golf appear out of nowhere! Considering he had the Caterham behind him,it looked pretty good through the corners. He also know’s a a bit more about lines than Mr Caterham. The Caterham drivers throttle,braking and line choice had me on the edge of the seat and he wasn’t even foot to the floor. I wonder if the car is still in one piece?!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

the ‘anker’ jibes if you were seen in a boxter with the roof down.

I drove the TVR (350 Wedge) roof down to Peterborough and back the other day. At the lights coming out of Peterborough a bloke in Boxster looked over and sneered “Is that still running?”

I replied politely, “Yes, but when your car is more powerful, faster, newer and handles better, why aren’t you smiling as much as me?”

He screamed away when the lights changed and when I caught him a couple of sets of lights further up I looked across and he still wasn’t smiling. Certain cars have certain image associations and he was doing all he could to re-enforce the Boxster image. A shame as they are great cars.

martinxyz
    Free Member

What an erse. Oh and *Boxster.

peterfile
    Free Member

A friend in his 40’s has, amongst other very nice cars, an Enzo.

We were in York ages ago when he arrived for lunch and a lady at the table next to us said (being cheeky rather than rude) “wow, that’s an expensive mid life crisis!”

he just smiled and said “i got it in the sales so it wasn’t that expensive…would you like a quick drive in it?”

i think she said yes without even intending to! they buggered off for a quick blast and came back best buddies 🙂

we were all having a few drinks together and the woman was still talking about it and said “I still don’t think it’s right to spend almost £100k on a car though”

we all looked at each other and our mate just gave a glance to say ‘don’t tell her how much it actually cost!’

he’s a bit odd that way. happy to spend £500k on a high powered go-kart which screams i’ve-got-too-much-money, but lies about how much he actually spends on it when questioned.

mattbee

Thing is, some people spend lots of money because that’s how much what they want to own costs. Others spend it so people can see how much they (or their bank)have.

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Can you have a flash car in your 40's without appearing to be a ****?’ is closed to new replies.