Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can you get a mobile phone with a DAB radio on it?
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting a new phone but I was wondering is there any mobile that has a DAB radio on it? I Know you can get many phones with a normal FM radio but I want one with a DAB if thay do one that is! Looking at something not mega expensive too

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

why would the phone manufacturers bother?

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

HTC once made one phone – the Lobster, which was only available on Virgin Mobile, but that has been discontinued for 3 or 4 years.

Face it – DAB is a dead format. and is very power hungry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spooky_b329

Why is DAB dead? Whats replaced it?

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

DAB+ and DMB

allthepies
    Free Member

DAB+ broadcasts have launched in several countries like Switzerland, Malta, Italy and Australia. Several other countries are also expected to launch DAB+ broadcasts over the next few years, such as Hungary, Germany and Asian countries, such as China and Vietnam.

Norway, South Korea and France are countries currently broadcasting DMB.

Mmmmkay….

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

What’s the difference for those lazy bods who don’t want to spend the next half hour googleing?

WackoAK
    Free Member

You can get radio apps for most smart phones that can stream any station you want over 3G. I use “Wunder Radio” for my iphone.

Cougar

I’m not aware of any, but argos were doing a personal dab radio for 30 quid not so long ago

verses

I just stream the iPlayer radio stations on my android phone, works surprisingly well.

Hooked up to the car stereo, I recently listened to 6music for pretty much the whole of the journey from Suffolk to Yorkshire 🙂

TPTcruiser

Verses: how many megs of data was that?
    You can see DAB or its alternatives being dropped if 3G data was unlimited.

DaRC_L

you’ll probably need a smart phone and then stream the radio stations via the web instead of DAB.

glenh
    Free Member

What’s wrong with FM? Better quality than DAB anyway.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Czech Republic is currently broadcasting in DVB-T and DAB and also DAB+

Finland started broadcasting in DAB in 1997, but there was no take up, so they discontinued broadcast in 2005.

Canada started DAB broadcasts in 1999, and again due to low take up DAB is currently being shut down.

Oz only started broadcasts last year in DAB+

The Netherlands has postponed plans to continue rolling out DAB, and will instead evaluate newer technologies. The new technologies which will be assessed include the new version of DAB DRM+ and DVB-H, and are more efficient than the current version of DAB, so it is likely that The Netherlands will end up using an upgraded version of DAB based on the AAC+ codec.

So if you were nokia (the worlds largest phone manufacturer) – would you bother developing a DAB reciever to fit your phone, when your home market doesnt broadcast in that format? when you sell worldwide, and only 30 countries currently have a Digital broadcast.. and then there are 3 different formats.
    and in the amount of things vying for space in a mobile handset – is there really space to fit the DAB module when it measures 30x38x2.5mm (made by Samsung Electro-Mechanics)

coupled with the fact of how power hungry a DAB reciever is – your battery life of the phone would be dire.

There was a comparison a wind up DAB/FM reciever that was on the market – one minutes winding would give 10hrs of FM listening, but just half and hour DAB listening

CountZero

What’s wrong with FM? Better quality than DAB anyway.

Apart from having to put up with the crap that is Radio One and local commercial radio? The only music station worth listening to is 6Music. I used to listen via various apps on my phone, but since the data limit has been drastically cut I’ve got a cheap little Pure DAB portable. Three hours listening on the phone was 100Mb; a week uses my entire allowance.
    EDIT: as far as quality’s concerned, FM on a phone outside of a city sucks. FM in my car sucks; I lose Radio 2 halfway to Corsham from Chippenham and can’t get it back until Bath, twelve miles away. I’ve given up on the radio in the car, I just use the phone or pod straight into the headunit, I don’t even have any presets allotted to stations any more. Give you an idea, the Chippenham FM transmitter puts out 2 watts. The local DAB transmitter three or four miles away is 85 watts.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

You need a better head unit then.
    I can get rock radio manchester almost all the way into liverpool, on my old head unit it used to drop off when I reached the M6/warrington ish

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

ahh another Rock Radio listener.

Tho i used to lose signal the junction before the M57 going down the M62.
    same when passing daresbury on the M56 but can listen all the way to stoke.

verses

TPTcruiser – Member

Verses: how many megs of data was that?
    You can see DAB or its alternatives being dropped if 3G data was unlimited.

Thread resurection… Just spotted this question 🙂

It was about 80MB for about 3.5hrs listening according to my bill, but I’m on an unlimited* contract

*unlimited = 3GB in my case, but the sales bloke seemed to think that that only comes into force if you’re regularly over that amount.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can you get a mobile phone with a DAB radio on it?’ is closed to new replies.