• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by s.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can you get a decent FS bike still for less than £1k ?
  • s
    Free Member

Just for xc, trails use, been over 10 years since I have owned a FS , Marin East Peak 1998, which cost me £1k back then and lasted me 2-3 before things needed replacing. It was a great bike back then, but I guess things have moved on quite a bit since then.

Is there anything out there worth looking at that would give me the same fun and durability as the Marin?

Ta.

binners

The Boardman Full sussers are a pretty good spec, and have had great write ups. They come in at a grand

bikeradar review

z1ppy

Off-hand, wot he said ^^^^^ was the the first thing that comes to mind & exactly what I’d be looking at 1st, if I was in your position.
    Though the geometry won’t be as conservative as the East Peak, but that’s no bad thing in my book.

The main draw back is, as it’s Halfords, you won’t get a test ride & you should probably check all the bolts are done up tight after recieving it (admittedly there are some very good halford branches [staff], but lots more bad ones)

hainman
    Free Member

i have a rockrider 9.1 from decathlon,paid 600 for it as it was last years model and they wanted to make space for the newer ones….
    tora air forks,hayes stroker trail brakes,x-fusion rear shock,slx shifters,slx rear mech,deore front mech and drive train.all in all a great bike for the money and it hasnt let me down yet,i ride with my mate on his 2k stumpy and go where he goes….
    new one is 800 but upgraded forks with remote lock-out and diff brakes…worth a look at least!!
    oh and it got a near 5star rating from bikeradar…..
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-btwin-rockrider-91-12-45756

ransos
    Free Member

You can probably get a Giant Trance or Anthem in the sales for about £1k.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Do Giant still do a Trance X at the 1K price point? If so, that’s your bike!

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Decathlon Rockrider 9.1

A test winner.

s
    Free Member

Found our local halfords staff very good, so will go and check out the broadman thanks

woody2000

Cannondale RZ 120

Specs a bit “hmmm” in places, but it’s a decent bike for £999 I reckon.

z1ppy

While your in halfords check out the Voodoo Canzo as another option.

Voodoo

Boardman

z1ppy

Worth a quick browse too (though ppl have linked to it above)
    http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p0

xiphon
    Free Member

Define decent? Seriously… what do you consider decent?

GlitterGary
    Free Member
    scottfitz
    Free Member

Could be worth spending ia a little more, lots more bike for your money?: http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2555

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I would always keep a bike a simple as you can get away with. Some folk ride full sussers around thetford I cannot see why. I ride a rigid around there qucik quickly too.

As some said define decent. £1000 full susser will be a bit comprimised in the rim, hub, and spoke department. I like wheels that stand up to the abuse which a full susser should recieve.

_tom_
    Free Member

Going 2nd hand will get you much better value for money. Bought my Bullit frame with headset, forks, seatpost and cranks for £390.

mudsux
    Free Member

I bought a Haro Sonix comp for £700 last year from Winstanleys….

s
    Free Member

xiphon – Member

Define decent? Seriously… what do you consider decent?

I thought I had xiphon, read my first post again and see if you can work it out?

Marin East Peak 1998, which cost me £1k back then and lasted me 2-3 before things needed replacing

Is there anything out there worth looking at that would give me the same fun and durability as the Marin?

s
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member

Going 2nd hand will get you much better value for money. Bought my Bullit frame with headset, forks, seatpost and cranks for £390.

Had thought about this option Tom

woody2000 – Member

Cannondale RZ 120

Specs a bit “hmmm” in places, but it’s a decent bike for £999 I reckon.

A dale for a grand! now there’s a thought 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can you get a decent FS bike still for less than £1k ?’ is closed to new replies.