Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can you get a ……..
  • Lummox

Can you get a headset to fit a standard 1 1/8 th headtube that will allow a tapered steerer to bf fitted?

I want to take advantage of the cheaper tapered forks and fit them to my patriot 66

fadda

Shirley the fat bit of the taper won’t fit…?

tony07
    Free Member

ive seen someone make a homemade one with a lathe, don’t think they are commercially available

retro83
    Free Member

isn’t there some kind of bodge, along the lines of putting a 1.5 headset into a semi-int 1&1/8th headtube ?

andyl
    Free Member

you would need to make some sort of external bearing cup with a very high stack height so that the taper doesnt foul where the cup fits inside the standard 1 1/8th headtube.

This would increase your forks axle to crown and would affect the headtube angle. eg if you ended up with an extra 20mm of stack height you would need a fork with 20mm less travel than your normal steerer max fork length.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I once thought of making an external fitting headset cup for a 1″ headtube that would allow a 1 1/8″ fork to run inside. If you’ve got a lathe and infinite patience then go ahead…

retro83
    Free Member

retro83 – Member

isn’t there some kind of bodge, along the lines of putting a 1.5 headset into a semi-int 1&1/8th headtube ?

found it:
    http://www.shedfire.com/2010/09/01/ragley-2011-44mm-headtubes/

Earlier in the year, Cane Creek announced a new headset that allowed people to fit tapered steerer forks to bikes that had 1.125in internal headsets. We liked that, and infact, we’d been paying attention since it was first discussed back in January on the mtbr frame forum. We have since played about with a true “integrated” steel headtube, with bearing races part of the frame, but productionwise it was a nightmare. And so, in conjunction with Nukeproof (well, we design for them too) we stepped proudly to a new kind of standard, with our own headset range to cater for everyone. Thankfully, with Cane Creek on board with this standard too, there is some choice, and even Chris King is joining the party apparently.

Lummox

Ah, thought I’d seen something in the news ages ago on bikeradar, maybe it was referring to a 44mm headtube, I guess as someone’s said to allow the taper to fit the headtube the bottom cup would have to be quite tall.

Hope I’m wrong and one does exist though

retro83
    Free Member

is that not the Cane Creek one that i’ve linked to?

Lummox

Ah, missed your post, need to measure the I.d of the patriot then

Rorschach
    Free Member

Inside diameter of a 1 1/8th headtube (like yours) is 34.1mm.Lower part of a tapered steerer is 39.8mm diameter.That does’nt really leave much room for the headset cup does it?
    So no…probably.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can you get a ……..’ is closed to new replies.