Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can you fit traditional mudguards to a mtb frame with disc brakes?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've got a plan to build a winter canal commuter bike out of something like an On One Scandal 26er frame and rigid forks of some description. I'd like to put traditional mudguards on it like these mudguards .

Presumably, I might have to do some jiggery pokery with zip ties, drilling holes in the mud guards and maybe fashioning an attachment to the crown of the forks. On the Scandal frame, the rear brake caliper is on the chainstay not the seatstay, so that will be out of the way.
    But, would the 160mm disc brake rotors prevent the mudguard stay being attached to the axle?. Likewise, does the front rotor and/or caliper cause a problem? Anyone who's tried to do this, what problems did you have?, did you find a solution? Or would I be wasting my time?

BigDummy
    Free Member

You can fiddle successfully.

This one has a boss midway down the fork, so the strut goes to that – you could do the same with P-clips around the fork.

This one bends the stays downwards to clear the caliper.

I've had a thing where I had a bung in the bottom of the fork crown and ran a bolt through the guard into that before now as well.

Definitely not a waste of time, may be a bit of a bodge and/or ugly. 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've had a thing where I had a bung in the bottom of the fork crown and ran a bolt through the guard into that before now as well.

I figured you could fit a star nut upwards into the steerer tube and then fashion an attachment that way.

BD where would I get p-clips from?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i need a bung to mount the guard on my commuter, there is a ludicrous gap between the wheel and the guard that needs something like this:

to sort it, but i don't know where to get such a thing. anyone?

schmiken

You should be able to get P clips from your LBS.

bassspine
    Free Member

Bigdummy: have you got any more pics of that Surly – it looks great

theflatboy
    Free Member

anyone know anything about the above bung question?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can you fit traditional mudguards to a mtb frame with disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.