Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can you fit a Tow bar to a leased car.
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

I have asked the company but i have not had a response yet! Has anyone done this?

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

Yeah, I did it to a Ford Focus I was leasing, they actually gave me some money back beacuse it enhanced the car’s re-sale value.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Did you have to ask?

What company? Mine is with LLoyds Autolease.

meehaja
    Free Member

you can if they don’t find out. You could also wrap it in clngfilm, paint it purple and have the back seat replaced with a paddling pool. So long as they don’t find out.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Ok thanks looks like i can if i get permission.

Now to tow bar or not to tow bar?

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

Just don’t get one of those that looks like a horse with a lob on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tow bars are ace. I’d go for a removable one that doesn’t cut the bumper, to avoid any allegations of car butchery from the leaser.

Great bike racks here you come.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Ok, I will stay away from horses appendage!

Madfly
    Free Member

You’ll need to get hold of the V5 to get a numberplate printed, mention that to them when you ask…

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I have an Arval car and had a Lloyds, most tow bars these days don’t need a bumper cut. The only thing you have to be careful with is if the tow bar fitter uses a cheap £6 7 way bypass relay (and most do) and there is an electrical fault the dealers will blame it and you then enter a minefield of blame.

Get a car specific fast fit or plug in wiring loom and they can’t blame the wiring being cut to power the wiring loom.

hora
    Free Member

Sounds obvious but make sure the towbar place knows you definitely don’t want a towbar if it involves them cutting the bumper or if they are struggling to fit its not ok to lop a bit of the bumper off….

Just saying..

uwe-r
    Free Member

I didnt know bumper cutting and dodgy wiring where such an issue. Looks like i need to get a decent fitter / tow bar to avoid this.

As always when asking the ‘singletrack forum brain’ the asnwer comes back – spend more money than you thought you needed to.

Thanks for the advice.

Spud

Mine had one fitted at the dealer it came from. Was leased through HSBC, just specified it on ordering, wasn’t factory fitted. The bumper cut thing is something I’m wanting to make sure of when I fit one to my new (own) car.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would strongly recommend towbarexpress.co.uk. They cover a lot of Southern England and come out to your house/work and prices are good.

I bought and fitted the towbar myself and had them come to do the electrics (I went for the full electronics integrated with the ESP). If I’d bought a towbar from them and got them to fit it along with the electrics it’d have been cheaper and I could’ve got a removable one…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can you fit a Tow bar to a leased car.’ is closed to new replies.