Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can you fit a carbon riser bar to a Brompton? And Ergon grips
  • mosschops
    Free Member

HI all

am off the bike due to pain in hands – wrist and nerve inflammation Problem exacerbated by my straight s-bar Brompton

Anyone replaced s-bar with a carbon riser – what size fits and is it easy to do?

Also wondering on experience of Egon GP1 cork grips – do they fir all Brompton bars?

Thanks

MC

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes to the bars, if you can find them – 25.4mm carbon risers are pretty rare now. I ahve one pair left, but they’re reserved for a build so you can’t have ’em 😉

Ergon gips work perfectly on S bars – on M/H bars they need to be cut down a little.

Atomizer

Yes, I run an old pair of FSA carbon risers with even older x-lite nobbies.
    Bit of a wiggle to get them through the steerer clamp, I had to slightly spread it open with a screwdriver.
    I prefer the wider bar even riding in London traffic.

bencooper
    Free Member

Bit of a wiggle to get them through the steerer clamp, I had to slightly spread it open with a screwdriver.

A better trick that doesn’t chew up the clamp: take the bolt out and put it in the other side, and put a coin in the slot – screwing in the bolt then spreads the clamp open in a controlled way.

mosschops
    Free Member

thanks all, that video is very useful Definitely got bad wrist position May try the ergons plus a riser and also a different seat position Mine is slightly dropped on the nose which I think is pushing even more weight onto my wrists

That plus 100psi tyres and cobbles is the culprit

Carbon 25.4 are like hens teeth though – any 30 to 40mm rise ones around are about 80 quid!

MC

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 25.4 race face carbon bars that are spare if you’re interested(email in profile)

Fairly low rise and narrow though, iirc they are 600ish wide and 20mm rise

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can you fit a carbon riser bar to a Brompton? And Ergon grips’ is closed to new replies.