Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Can you do a proper bunny hop?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

If it was about the scoop then how would it be possible to make a bike do a bunnyhop when stood next to the bike with no feet on the pedals or how would it be possible to bunnyhop a shopping bike wearing flip flops.

I imagine that there may be some scoop for huge bunnyhops but for proper technique at the kinds of heights we are talking about there should be no scoop at all.

Try standing, then lifting your leg up, your foot naturally falls into a toe down position if you’re relaxed and not trying to keep the toes up.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Practice practice practice! I learned at 32yrs old. Just go out for an hour after work every night for a few weeks and practice.

pastcaring
    Free Member

i posted 2 how to vids, watch them!

done arguing….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

I disagree as I tried doing it this way for years and I couldn’t bunnyhop without putting loads of effort into it. Just riding around trying to flick up the rear wheel doesn’t really help if you cannot lift the front up without yanking on the bars.

Exactly you don’t find this method useful, but some may.

You not finding something useful != everyone else not finding it useful.

pastcaring
    Free Member

as for practicing,

3 bits of bamboo and two peg makes a good practice bar.

jedi

you dont scoop. the feet roll forwards as the front whell goes airbourne naturally (feet point down, look at pics of riders in the air or try jumping on the spot without a bike )

Dan1502
    Free Member

I went on one of Ed’s courses at the weekend. He had us practicing manuals first followed by rear wheel lifts then the bunny hop was a combination of the two movements.

Lots of practice needed by me before I can do them properly though.

jedi

push to unweight front, push forward. bring knees up to make space for rear wheel.
    basically 🙂

pastcaring
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    you dont scoop

so you disagree with every on line video i could find?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I disagree with them too.

Seems Mr Jedi agrees with me too.

Just because a video is online does not mean it is correct.

pastcaring
    Free Member

push to unweight front, push forward. bring knees up to make space for rear wheel.
    basically

but are you not gripping the back peddle with you foot?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Like I said further up, you don’t even need to have your feet on the pedals in order to do a bunnyhop so you definitely do not need grip at the pedal and there is no scoop required.

jedi

no you dont grip with back foot. what you’re seeing in videos is the feet tipping down as they do as i explained above. its the same pointing down when airbourne thing that kicks a bike away from riders feet if their feet are in the wrong place on the pedals

uphillcursing
    Free Member

For me it is what Matthew and Jedi say. I have never felt the need to “scoop”

The hard bit to teach is the timing. My 8yo can lift the front wheel. Can, with a small inch X inch piece of wood to give the rear wheel a “kick”, get the idea of bending his knees up to let the rear wheel come off the ground.

Can he get the whole thing together? Not yet. Mind you there are way better rider than me who I know cant do it either.

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 for the no scoop

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Can you do a proper bunny hop?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts