Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can you describe your ACL ailment symptoms please
  • woodsman
    Free Member

I think I may have damaged (partial) my ACL in a non bike related way, most difficult is descending stairs, climbing them isn’t great either. Had a limp for five days, seem to overcoming that – maybe through technique, I don’t know.
    Anyway, a bit of self diagnosis at the moment whilst I rest it up for a bit longer before seeing a professional – just incase it does clear.
    I would appreciate it if you could describe your symptoms, if you’ve had some sort of diagnosed ACL damage, obviously major trauma is self explanatory. The first I noticed was straightening up from a squat position, tending the fire of all benign things! Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree regarding ACL but I would be interested to know your experience of it.

Thanks

schnullelieber
    Free Member

My experience from partial ACL tears in both knees is a lot of swelling of the knee, very stiff (difficult to bend knee and to straighten it fully) and painful, difficulty in walking let alone climbing/descending stairs.

bombjack
    Free Member

My bucket handle tear had a loud crack and a good deal of pain, followed the next day by major swelling, inability to bend my leg, and the inability to any kind of support weight.
    I overshot a kicker whilst snowboarding about 2 years prior to this and had similar symptoms (but with much reduced swelling and pain)which really hampered the flexibility and load bearing of the knee. I didn’t tear the ACL but the meniscus was damaged which lead to the discomfort. If in doubt get the docs to take a look, mine wouldn’t MRI until the swelling had gone down tho.

woodsman
    Free Member

Cheers guys, your experience sounds terrible – hope you’re on the mend now?

No swelling at all, so perhaps it’s something else. 12 years ago I had arthroscopy to this knee with suspected torn meniscus. They found that was good, but I had a rough patch on the femur to one side – arthritis through wear. I had 2-3 years or more of discomfort and ride impingement, then nothing for the last can’t remember how many years. Maybe (fingers crossed) I’m just going through a flare up period, although this feels different – not necessarily worse though, and not brought on by cycling.

If I had the spare cash I’d get a scan for my own understanding.

chuffnuts

A man of your years needs a Lifescan 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

I appreciate your concern Jamie – thank you

philb88
    Free Member

Mine was sharp pain on snapping it, then a pain when twisting. Not huge swelling, and felt ok-ish after a day! Then scan showed if was totaled!

Also a wobbly/un-stable sensation when walking, going down stairs is normally a good indicator of an ACL injury

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’d go to the doctors rather than try to diagnose an injury like ACL from the internet…

DezB
    Free Member

The first I noticed was straightening up from a squat position, tending the fire of all benign things!

That’s similar to how I first discovered my meniscus tear (working on the bike). 2nd time it completely locked out (trying to exit the bath).

woodsman
    Free Member

I’m starting to think it may not be ACL from the replies – thanks for sharing your experiences.

My original knee prob was originally diagnosed as torn meniscus which turned out not to be the case. Thinking it could be the same problem that has moved or deteriorated. Just haven’t had even the slightest from it for absolutely years, and did nothing strenuous or unusual to bring it on.

Dez, did you have surgery on that? Long time no see btw!

Tried to get Doctor appointment today but of course couldn’t fit me in until next week

fattylee
    Free Member

Had my first knee injury last year, non cycling which at the time was diagnosed as a dislocation of the patella very painful lots of swelling and about six weeks of majorly reduced mobility.lots of physio and I seemed to be good fitness returned.
    Then in mid Feb I was trying on some trousers in a shop when there was a loud crack and I!mense pain in my left knee agian. I went straight to a&e where they strapped it up and two days later I saw a consultant who operated the next day.
    I had a double bucket handle tear and partial removal of my myniscus. Walking immediately improved only one crutch lots of swelling, but much less pain.
    Now 3 weeks later I got back on my bike for the first time yesterday and did a little gym Session today felt ace. My knee feels odd cycling not painful just odd! anyone else had similar experiences getting back on it.

Northwind

Mine probably isn’t all that useful… but was all about instability- literally couldn’t weight bear at all, not from a lack of strength exactly but because the joint just boinged off in whatever direction it felt like. Pretty awful frankly, hurt like a mother****** (much worse than breaking my hip) but mostly it was just about the certain knowledge I’d wrecked myself.

Don’t **** about, get to the doctor, you need your knees.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can you describe your ACL ailment symptoms please’ is closed to new replies.