• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by RRD.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • can you cycle the west highland way
  • scotabroad

As title really, I have driven past parts of it and certainly a lot of the paths look reasonable but I wondered what the rest of it was like?

cheers

S

Highland28
    Free Member

Yes it is cycleable, it was either mbuk or mbr did a ride along the west highland way. We were planning it for the next easter!! It is ment to be a really good cycle.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

You can, but it’s actully not that good (bar the devils staircase) much better riding to be had in th area.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Use the search facility – similar questions come up every few weeks.

hainman
    Free Member

aye it was mbuk did feature on riding whw but backwards from fort william down the way and got big thumbs up…..

dh
    Free Member

If i had 3 or 4 days away from the family and wife etc., I would certainly not choose to do the WHW.

Pack your tent, perhaps a couple of days in the pitlochry area then head up to cairngorm would get my vote.

The section beside loch lomond is nasty….

dave

brant
    Free Member

You can, but it’s actully not that good (bar the devils staircase) much better riding to be had in th area.

I really like the bit from Crianlarich to Kinlochleven.

Last time I rode it I was on a £109 Halfords Apollo Forma. Made it all the more fun.

paul78
    Free Member

I think the WHW does hold some good sections and definately worth a ride… the Loch Lomond section that is fabled to be a nightmare isn’t so bad at all really and short lived.

ton

we came onto it at bridge of orchy, and rode to glen nevis.
    i thought it was awesome to be honest…..cracking views too.

gazc
    Free Member

my girlfriends dead set on us doing this next year, would it be fine wild camping all the way up/down?

br
    Free Member

my girlfriends dead set on us doing this next year, would it be fine wild camping all the way up/down?

Yes, just do the usual and don’t light fires nor leave rubbish.

poly
    Free Member

scotabroad – Member

As title really, I have driven past parts of it and certainly a lot of the paths look reasonable but I wondered what the rest of it was like?

As others have said essentially almost all of it is rideable. There is a long section at the top of Loch Lomond which is more of a scramble than a hike so some people prefer to jump across the loch on a wee “ferry” at Inversnaid and then follow the road to the Drovers inn and rejoin the path their. Others think its not so bad as to justify several miles on busy tarmac. That decision will depend on your party’s skills and fitness levels; the bikes you have and how much gear you carry.

As others have said its not necessarily the best MTBing in the “area” – but if you fancy the idea of a “journey” and don’t want to spend hours and hours trawling over maps trying to find three days of routes which all join up without lots of road in between then it is perfectly acceptable.

I’ve walked or ridden all of it – but never as a single trip. Its certainly better as a bike ride than a walk as you can “munch up” the boring miles.

gazc – Member

In principle you are fine (beware new restrictions on Wild Camping on E. side of Loch Lomond come/coming into force – although probably not affecting anywhere you might want to stay.

In reality you don’t need to camp, there is cheap hostel / bunk house type accommodation (as well as some better nicer stuff) which will be much more pleasant if it is bucketing with rain or swarming with midges (or both) – which is a distinct possibility. Obviously at peak times this will need booked well ahead. This will save lugging not only a tent but also sleeping bags, towels, etc which unless you have a Bob trailer is probably a major PITA on a trip like that.

Its certainly been discussed here and on many other sites extensively. Ignore anything pre 2003 which says cycling not permitted, but bear in mind it was intended as a long distance walk and not all walkers are as welcoming as you would hope – although I’ve never had a problem if you are polite and ride responsibly.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i recently had a 4 day social ride on the WHW from the Drovers to Fort Will and back down again. Stayed in Fort William one night and Bridge of Orchy in both directions. We paid one of the shuttle services to carry our bags.

I don’t really go along with the ‘but there’s better riding’ argument. It’s different riding (does all mountain biking really need to be singletrack/jumpy/bermy???)- some of it enjoyable some of it a bit of a chore. Overall I had a great time, great scenery, some sweet riding, good banter with the walkers, good food and a few beers at the end of the day. Even the unpredictable Scottish weather was amusing to us.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve done it, and to be frank most of it is crap compared to nearly any classic Highlands route. I don’t think anyone who has wider Highland experience would rate it highly. Hope that statement doesn’t cause a row.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Its one of my favourite weekend rides. Train to Crianlarich saturday morning then ride to Kinlochleven, then onto Fort William on the Sunday. Train home. Great weekend away with some of the best scenery in the UK, and you feel like you have done a journey. Done it three times now and every time felt completely different due to weather etc. All good though.

scotabroad

Sounds to me starting from Crianlarich and over to FW is best option from comments above?

The reason I ask is that I never fancied it as a walk but thought it would be worthwhile on a bike as something different and certainly sounds like that it ticks that box?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would and have ridden some sections – however there is so much more out there that I would rather ride -even doubletrack routes

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Sounds good Stu,

May have to look into coming up myself and having a ride around…. :mrgreen:

paul78
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but has anyone ridden the East Highland Way??

I planned to when I did this..

http://shoestring-racing.blogspot.com/2010/05/varied-diet-of-trail-and-tar-3-ways.html

.. but time didn’t allow us to give it a go in case of navigational errors.. wanna go back and give it a bash if its any good.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I’ve done it, and to be frank most of it is crap compared similar to nearly any many classic Highlands route<

13thfloormonk

I’ll bet there’s very few ‘classic’ highland routes which feature as much rideable terrain as the WHW. Add to that the fact that (despite what people above say) there are numerous quality sections of singletrack or fast/loose double track.

In no particular order:

The rideable bits of Loch Lomondside

The section immediately after the unrideable section of Loch Lomondside (makes the push worthwhile i.m.o, you would miss this section if you took the road)

Between Crianlarich and Tyndrum

The wee, high, bit of singletrack not long after Tyndrum.

The climb and descent after Bridge of Orchy

The descent to Kingshouse

Everything between Kingshouse and Kinlochleven

The climb out of Kinlochleven (assuming you like steep tech climbs!)

and so on..

Even the boring stuff at the start is good if you ride it very early in the morning, or better yet, in the dark (saw my first barn owl that way).

coastkid
    Free Member

agree with above,if its boring then try riding it faster 😮
    heading up to the staircase a week on Monday with stanfree for a days fun.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was boring but there are places I would rather ride. Smae as there are other places I would rather walk. Its nice to make your own routes up

AlasdairMc

What is the collective view on riding it at the end of October?

I rode Victoria Bridge to Blackwater Dam in mid July, it was excellent. It rained nearly continuously from Kingshouse, so the drainage ditches on the descent towards Kinlochleven were a nightmare, but it is still one of my favourite rides.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>What is the collective view on riding it at the end of October?<

Watch for snow (and ice) on the MWIS forecast 😉

scotabroad

What is the collective view on riding it at the end of October?

I might be up for that, would not be a racing snake pace mind!!

How about anyone else, I dont know how long to take doing it, but plan say two overnight stops??

RRD
    Free Member

Scotabroad

I rode it in May a couple of years ago over two days (ridiculously early train departure from Edinburgh) then overnight in Tyndrum area (I think)and returned ridiculously late on the Sunday sleeper.

I found it a cracking “journey” as described by Scotty John and for that reason alone I would say go for it. As some have stated I wouldn’t describe it as the best MTB route in the area but that’s not the point of riding the WHW in my opinion.

Points to note:

PRE-BOOK THE TRAIN… I arrived in FW for an earlier train but was told no room for my bike and hence had to wait for the sleeper.

FW train station has pretty good showers (including towel hire) if you are returning immediately

You can book some reasonably priced or very nice bunks/B&Bs/Hotels (depending on your budget) along the route and as a result still travel pretty light.

Enjoy

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘can you cycle the west highland way’ is closed to new replies.