Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • can you cycle from stourbridge to birmingham on the canals?
  • gazerath
    Free Member

I’ve ridden back on the canal from Birmingham but ended up in coseley was wondering is there a route to stourbridge? did I miss a turn, I know there’s a canal there.

Only it would be a quieter route to ride back from work then on the roads.

rOcKeTdOg

looks like it if you can navigate over netherton tunnel

gazerath
    Free Member

i did just find this too, if the tunnel wasn’t there would be easy to do. Think I’ll continue down to Coseley and jump on there. Thanks any how.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

i rode stewpony=kinver=kddy-stourport yesterday, super dry and fast, been looking for a way to do stourport-kiddy-stourbridge-gas st-b’ham worcs.there must be a way over the netherton tunnel because they must have walked the horses over it somehow

gazerath
    Free Member

i have just read you can ride through it but you need lights. I’m at girlfriends at mo and my lights are back over Lichfield way. Apprently its so dark in there you can not see your hand in front of your face. Wet and puddley might be worth a go though.

I quite like the canal ride to brimingham except the bit under the M5 and through Smethwick/sandwell. Don’t feel overly safe. ‘Trying to make most of nice weather and commute in a few times

rOcKeTdOg

yes, there are a few dodgy areas. if you do brum to worcester it’s a great route and you can come back via the droitwich canal (recently referbed)of course you can get the train down and ride back but it is mostly uphill from worcs to tardebigge (around 16 miles)

singlespeedstu

Yes you can ride through the tunel.
    It is a bit wet in there and the roofs a bit low though.

rOcKeTdOg

tunnel doesn’t look too bad

The 2,768m long Netherton Tunnel is wide enough for two narrow boats and it has a tow path on both sides. It was the last canal tunnel to be built in the UK during the canal age, and is one of the longest. Good ventilation is provided by numerous vertical shafts, making it suitable for diesel propulsion, but the tow paths make it suitable for a most unusual bike ride.

singlespeedstu

The towpath was quite a bit rougher than that pic shows last time i went through.
    There’s some fair sized puddles in there too.

nickdavies

Yeah you can ride through I’m sure but is it open yet? It was being repaired wasn’t it?
    Not sure if they would have thought to repair the towpaths and put in some lights whilst they were there, I don’t think I’d want to ride it as it is now… There’s sure to be nasty things in there!

z1ppy

Been open again for ages, unless more repairs have been done since last summer. You’ll need a light for sure, get surprisingly dark very quickly. Oh and only he right side (heading into brum) is open. TBF unless they’ve got torches too, I’d doubt anyone/thing nasty would hang around too long. Apparently detouring over the top isn’t too difficult.

takisawa2

I’m not afraid to say, the thought of that tunnel frightens the crap out of me. 😥

Keef
    Free Member

I’ve ridden through it loads of times,nice bright light scares the 5h1t out of any pikeys lurking in there 😉

singlespeedstu

I’m not afraid to say, the thought of that tunnel frightens the crap out of me

I’ve know a few people that have refused to go through it. 😆

Keef
    Free Member

I’ve know a few people that have refused to go through it.

gearies ?

MrGFisher
    Free Member

gazerath
    Free Member

Going to cycle upto it after work today, no lights but I’ll have a look and see if I will brave enough next week.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I used to ride back from work that way, If it’s open, it’s doable without lights just MTFU! Just when you think it’s all getting a bit silly as the dot of light from the other end of the tunnel isn’t getting any bigger and decide to turn round you realise that the opening where you came from looks the same size as the one you were originally heading for!

There’s a rail all the way along canal side and a tunnel wall the other what could possibly go wrong? 😯

naffa
    Free Member

Definitely not recommended to ride the tunnel without lights.
    Its a long tunnel and not all that many people use it.The riding surface is ok tbf and it can be ridden without much drama.
    The quickest way ‘ott’ of the tunnel is by using regent road but its a long step climb ott.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘can you cycle from stourbridge to birmingham on the canals?’ is closed to new replies.