Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • can you convert (drill out) a standard qr rear wheel to make it 12×135 thru axle
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

As above really, its on a crank brothers wheel which I would love to fit to my yeti. There is no official conversion but the way I see it is any standard thru axle hub just relies on the end cans supporting the axle and not an internal supporting tube, as such, all the way through. So what is the difference if I just drill out my qr end caps to 12mm and slide an axle through? I presume I’m missing something here ??

althepal

Have thought about doing the same thing at the back on my roval hubs with a 10mm axle..

andyl
    Free Member

Do you have enough metal do drill them out?

Might be easier to put 12 to 10mm reducers in the holes on the frame and use a 10mm axle.

nealy
    Free Member

I’d say that is a very bad idea, it would be very difficult to dill it out straight and even if there was enough material the axle would be significantly weakened

RustyMac

Most hubs also rely on the bearings being supported within the hub.If you have pressure pushing in and nothing to support from inside out there would be a high chance the bearing will collapse.

Also are the bearings id. Suitably large enough to accept the axle side you want?

dannybgoode

Ooo no don’t use Dill. Far better herbs out there for the job. Oregano would get my shout

singlespeedstu

it would be very difficult to dill it out straight

End caps in lathe. Job done.
    If there’s enough metal in the end caps to take the hole size you want it’ll be fine.
    Not the end of the world if you **** it up, just buy some new end caps.

fd3chris
    Free Member

@ Nealy your concerns are what are what stopping me but to get it straight is fairly easy as the original 5mm holes for the qr are your guide , its just the strength that will be left in the end caps after taking them out to 12mm. I’m just so tempted but I need to find out the cost and availability of spare end caps incase it doesn’t work!

Northwind

althepal – Member

Have thought about doing the same thing at the back on my roval hubs with a 10mm axle..

Probably quite easy with a Roval, depends what model. Chances are it just needs the endcaps machined out to 12mm, but you’d want to check the axle to be sure- some models come with a 12mm axle spaced down to 10mm with end caps but Rovals are all over the place now, there’s about 50 different models and not all are the DT hubs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘can you convert (drill out) a standard qr rear wheel to make it 12×135 thru axle’ is closed to new replies.