Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • can you cheat strava?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Not because I want to, but I have a neighbour who I want to believe is insanely fast, however he, s faster than some really really fast riders and it just doesnt add up.

It could be that he is just super fast and I hope he is.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you my neighbour ?

Fwiw you can google digital epo.

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

You can take your phone out for a drive, KOM everything like that ;0)

julianwilson
    Free Member

Road or off-road?
    Up or downhill?

Also poor gps signal and poor phone operation can confuse strava. A friend had a ridiculously fast and unbeatable (minute faster than next rider on a 3 minute trail) KOM on one of the gawton trails. 1) he was riding a different one that starts in the same place but is mostly 100m away from the one that strava logged. 2) He took a minute longer that strava thought he did to ride the trail he actually rode (as opposed to the one strava thought he did).

jonk

You can edit the GPX file to make it look like your faster.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Off road, all sorts of segments.

He does have about 7 years and 4 stone on me!

BUt he is still faster than a fast thing, for someone who is relatively new who.

starrman82
    Free Member

What jonk said..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does he go out and blast specific segments? Those really fast riders may have done those segments on slower training rides. Strava’s just a bit of fun, the only way to know how you really compare is to race.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I do that on segments – on training rides and beast sections for intervals. Reset my gps so i can monitor ave speed

Had a comment about mopeds on one flat segment and 1 guy took the hump as he thought i just did the segment an went home as thats how it looked due to gos reset. Pointed out the other 75k of riding before ad after he neglected to see 😉

enigmas
    Free Member

I got a KOM on a trail after stacking it in a muddy gulley at the end and sliding down face first a lot faster than you can hope to ride it with any sort of control…

crazy-legs

Does he go out and blast specific segments? Those really fast riders may have done those segments on slower training rides.

I use it in one of two ways. Either just ride and see what I’ve done afterwards as a point of interest.

Or go out and target two or three segments on one ride. Done that a fair bit recently, got a bit of a competition going with a couple of mates. Sad maybe but we don’t actually get to ride together that often due to conflicting work schedules so this is as close as it gets. Look at the wind direction, pick segments accordingly, use the in between bits as recovery then cane the hell out of your chosen segments. 😉

6 new KOMs for me this week alone!

Yes, I do need to get a life.

aracer
    Free Member

Of course you can. Somebody has just taken KOM on a load of local road segments this afternoon…

http://app.strava.com/activities/49140782

hallz
    Free Member

There is a site that allows you to upload your gpx file and it will compress the ‘time’ whilst keeping the ‘distances’ the same. Cant recall what its called but this isn’t something that i agree with!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aracer. – or is it brandon 😉

Bernaard
    Free Member

I use Strava as a guide for myself and a log of my mileage
    However I find if frustrating that on segments that you have done in the morning won’t get picked up in the evening. When you know you have put in a better time.

As for cheating that’s easy. Turn it on in the car, or on the train as the KOM over a railway bridge by me with steps and switchback ramps did it at 75mph :0/

t-p26
    Free Member

Yes, try this for size:

molgrips
    Free Member

Strava is really bad at identifying some segments though. I created one that was a figure 8 loop of I dunno, 5-6 miles or so, and posted it on here. Someone’s strava reported that they’d already done it, but the actual ride it claimed was the same was only about 50% the same, and in the opposite direction!

Still slower than me tho 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

maybe, but you’re only cheating yourself really

turtleheading
    Free Member

You can edit a GPX file quite easily if you have the know how. Whats the point tho…? As soon as your riding with/against people your cheating, it’ll soon come out

samuri
    Free Member

YES, YOU CAN FIT AN ELECTRIC MOTOR TO YOUR BIKE AND RIDE PAST OLD MEN REALLY FAST AND TAKE THEIR KOM!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘can you cheat strava?’ is closed to new replies.