Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can you change locks on jointly owned property without OH permission?
  • Fantombiker

My cousin has separated from husband. Husband has voluntarily left the family home and lives round corner but lets himself back in at inappropriate times to family house. He is abusive and violent.

Solicitor advised that if house is jointly owned the locks can’t be changed, surely this isn’t right?

Hoping the STW legal experts are in the house to advise….cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Restraining order and inform police? In cases like this I’m guessing do and deal later.

wwaswas

Change the locks and argue about it afterwards would be my advice.

Call police every time he turns up making a nuisance of himself – they take domestic violence very seriously and an established pattern of behaviour will help with any further legal action.

I really can’t emphasise how much she needs to get him excluded from the family home – her husbands behaviour will not stop until someone stops it. I’m not qualified to offer her support in this area but you should make efforts to put her in touch with an organisation that will.

His behaviour is wrong and she may not be in a position emotionally where she can either see this or act on it. You have to help her.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cb

Its not really a lock issue is it? Hi turning up to find locked doors ain’t gonna help his mood. If he’s abusive and violent it needs dealing with via the police not a lock smith.

teamslug
    Free Member

Legally the locks cant be changed. I had this with ex partner who left. I changed locks cos i thought she might empty the house but was told by solicitor I shouldn’t have done it. Never changed it back though. Bit different if he is being abusive and violent. I would have them changed

sweepy
    Free Member

If there is a hierarchy of illegality domestic abuse would rank higher than changing locks, which should be seen as self defence anyway. Change the locks and tell the rozzers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d def change the locks but also take formal steps to stop the visits/abuse.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Rent the house out to the beefiest mofo you can find and see what happens when he pops in unannounced.

Aidy
    Free Member

Add deadbolts?

Although, it does only help when in the house, and probably encourages escalation…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Solicitor advised that if house is jointly owned the locks can’t be changed, surely this isn’t right?

Hoping the STW legal experts

I know who I’d listen too,

+1 for call the police. If he’s violent the door will be coming down.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Was told i couldnt change the locks after the previous left and we owned the house as a joint thing. Still changed them, as said above, i didnt want things going on without my knowledge. I think in the case you are into, will need more than a locksmith or a trip to B&Q

sugdenr
    Free Member

Better to ask for forgiveness than seek permission….

Change the locks and exactly who can do what about it?

Sounds like best thing that could happen is he arrives at wrong time, cant get in, has tantrum, police called, collar felt, restraining order guaranteed.

Sandwich

IANAL but lock changing is normally a civil offence, he with the deepest pockets wins. Domestic violence is in the criminal sphere. The police are only really interested in the criminal stuff, though they might attend civil stuff to ensure that a breach of the peace is averted.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I can 100% state correctly that the locks are not allowed to be changed on a joint owned property.
    Both parties have legal right to access property as joint owners, until court decides otherwise, or they can come to an agreement.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

told by solicitor I shouldn’t have done it.

Both parties have legal right to access property

I’d rather get sued than beaten up. Chances are he doesn’t know this and won’t be dashing off to the solicitors to admit to his behaviour. Just change the locks.

Pierre

Add deadbolts?

This was my thought – add an entry chain or a bolt or two on the door(s). As the PP posted out, only works if she’s in the house. If pressed, she can always give the excuse that she was worried about being broken into. If the ex is abusive but can’t get in, that gives extra time to call the police…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I can 100% state correctly that the locks are not allowed to be changed on a joint owned property

Oh yes they can. You just need to supply keys for the new locks to the other party.

Lost in the post? What are the chances?

wwaswas

if the ex is abusive but can’t get in, that gives extra time to call the police…

or he lets himself in before she gets home?

project
    Free Member

Sadly this goes on a lot, a relationship breakdown, where both sides dont get on but own equal shares,imagine if it was you, and you had left your joint home and then returned to patch things up and fouind the locks changed and you couldnt get into your joint property.

If violence or threats are made , conmtact the police and get out and run away, dont argue or change locks that wqill escalate the situation.

Worked for one nice quiet chap, him and gf split up, she went to her dads, one day he came home a few days later to find house empty, her dad had been and took everything they had bought, he reported it as a theft, police couldnt take action because all the receipts proving proof of ownership had gone as well.

All i could do was make the house secure and give him a hug.

zoota

just leave the key in the lock half turned that way keys from the outside wont work and call the police every time he turns up

samuri
    Free Member

gears_suck – Member
    Rent the house out to the beefiest mofo you can find and see what happens when he pops in unannounced.

I know it’s not a laughing matter but this made me giggle.

NZCol

Friend had this and was advised by her solicitor not to change locks. she had to go away and asked me to stay, errr no thanks. So we compromised and borrowed another friends angry dog and left it there. It shredded the fellas trousers before he escaped when he turned up to empty the house (wrongly as she had paid for everything)

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do you drive…will he fit in your boot…Why wait for him to come to you? In the meantime change the locks.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can you change locks on jointly owned property without OH permission?’ is closed to new replies.