Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Can you be a Christian but not believe in God?
  • beckykirk43
    Free Member

This might be a bit of a big question for this time on a Sunday morning, but it’s just something I was thinking about…

Plenty of people “believe” in science…the big bang theory, evolution, the fact there can’t really be a physical God somewhere, you can’t feed 5000 with a bit of a fish and a loaf of bread… but then the idealogy of religion can be quite appealing right?

If you get rid of the God bit, most of Christianity is about living life by morals that I would hope most people would anyway (I picked Christianity for the question as some other religions seem to be a bit more involved!). Many people find comfort in religion…could you get the same comfort if you don’t think there is a God?

Opinions?

justinbieber

The simple answer is no.

Christianity is about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ who Christians believe is the son of God. No God = no Jesus = no Christian. Yes, you can live by the same morals, but that wouldn’t make you a Christian on its own.

Likewise with Buddhism (or any other religion), I could try to live following Buddhist teachings, but that in itself would be enough to call myself Buddhist.

boxelder

No.
    Christ – gods son.
    Moral teachings aren’t christianity

cranberry
    Free Member

“believe” in science

Does not compute. Science is not a belief system. Clicky

It seems what you are talking about is being a good person. You don’t need to join a cult to do that. In fact isn’t it better to do good because you think it is the right thing to do and because it is the way you would want other people to treat you, rather than because ( to use the cult in your example ) you think that there is a zombie flying carpenter who lives on a cloud who will let you be tortured for all eternity if you displease him ?

vickypea
    Free Member

As you commented, you don’t have to be a Christian (or a Muslim, or belong to any religion) to be a moral person, but it is impossible to be a Christian if you don’t believe in God. If you’re agnostic, you could learn a bit more about Christianity and see if that changes your mind. If you attend a church service or read about Christianity you will find that it is centred on faith in God, and I guess that could either turn you off or switch you on to religion!

flanagaj
    Free Member

I think some people like to say they are Christian even though they have no idea about God, Jesus or the bible. I wonder if they do this as a result of the bible saying all non believers will suffer in hell for eternity when they die and that God will show mercy on them at the pearly gates.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

There appears to be a divide here!

cranberry – Member
    “believe” in science
    Does not compute. Science is not a belief system. Clicky

It seems what you are talking about is being a good person. You don’t need to join a cult to do that.

I know science isn’t a belief system, hence the quotation marks – I needed a better word! It’s not just about being a good person, people often turn to their religion in times of trouble, even if they forget it the rest of the time!

vickypea
    Free Member

cranberry- Christians don’t strive to be good because they fear God. Christianity is about loving God, and helps you to be a moral person, though as I said above it’s not the only way. May I suggest you demonstrate some understanding about what you’re discussing instead of throwing in silly, childish comments?

5thElefant
    Free Member

That would mean you’d go to hell for sure. Seems even dumber than believing in god.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Don’t confuse science with religion.

gwaelod
    Free Member

On a related note I am surprised when I meet monarchists who profess not to believe in god. I find this very confusing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you get rid of the God bit, most of Christianity is about living life by morals that I would hope most people would anyway (I picked Christianity for the question as some other religions seem to be a bit more involved!). Many people find comfort in religion…could you get the same comfort if you don’t think there is a God?

They’d probably be better of with something like Buddhism, which I guess is a bit more like spiritual philosophy, rather than deity worship.

maccruiskeen

Many people find comfort in religion…could you get the same comfort if you don’t think there is a God?

Totally. I’ve friends who are life long church-goers, and active in their church, but have no belief in a tangible god or afterlife. Its a life they enjoy. I’m an un-christened, unbaptised atheist but on the rare occasions I go to church services with other people I’m impressed by a community of people who take time each week to be thoughtful and caring together.

I don’t want to join in but I’m actually proud that these people exist. I don’t want to join a church but I’m glad there are churches and church-goers and congregations, and now that the social imperative to attend churches is waning we’re left with a smaller body of church-goers who are really good at it.

There are functions that congregations perform in society that nobody else either does or notice gets done. Its utterly essential, IMO, and its something I’m incredibly grateful to the church community for.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m off out on my bike now, but I have 3 more thoughts:
    Christianity does not teach that you go to hell if you sin. The concept of ‘hell’ is simply absence from the love of God.
    A few people may only turn to religion in hard times, but for most Christians their faith is ever-present.
    Why are some atheists so determined to criticise religion? why not live and let live?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

You don’t need to be a Christian to follow a moral code, and an atheist should have no problem following one. You only need to compare religions and cultures across the world to realise that while some of the details vary, almost every human culture has chosen to live by roughly the same rules. They aren’t exclusive to Christianity, humans have evolved with these rules and values in order to live together in groups and gain the benefits that it brings.

5thElefant
    Free Member

On a related note I am surprised when I meet monarchists who profess not to believe in god. I find this very confusing

Divine right went during the civil war. If you’d paid attention in history classes you wouldn’t have been confused all this time.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Why are some atheists so determined to criticise religion? why not live and let live?

You mean like letting anyone marry anyone else?
    I can’t speak for anyone else, but the reason that I would personally criticise them is that the theisms I’ve experienced are too fundamentally illogical (in that even the internal logic doesn’t stand up to scrutiny), and I have deep concerns about living in a world governed by people who don’t realise, or choose not to acknowlege this.
    That said desim, i.e the belief in one or more gods seems perfectly reasonable to me. It’s once humans start ascribing belief systems to that god that the reason seems to leave.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Becky, took a couple of readings to get exactly what your questions are, but the answers (if I understand correctly) are quite simple. *

1. Yes, people find some aspects of religion appealing while rejecting other parts (or interpretations) of it.
    2. You can find religious comfort without believing in a God – Buddhism
    3. Morals are not exclusive to religion, but religion may be one way to understanding them and living a moral life ie one source of guidance towards happiness

IMO, of course!

* edit, in case this sounds rude. I think the questions you ask in OP are different to the title of the thread. The answer to the latter is no, citing the Apostles Creed.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

No

kimbers

from crusades and jihads to homophobia and creationism, religions just seem a bastion of ignorance in the modern world

best avoid them imho

Macavity
    Free Member

Is the Pope a catholic?

konabunny
    Free Member

Christians don’t strive to be good because they fear God.

Vickypea – you seem to be projecting your own flavour of Christianity onto all Christians. Some do think that sinners are sent to hell and that people should fear God, and some don’t.

piemonster

Nope

It is however perfectly possible to believe there was some fella, prone to telling folk some stuff. That other people then believed for whatever reason was the son of some god.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Kona, seems like Vicky is presenting the orthodox view ie, hell is simply the separation from God. I would suggest the your second group are more the category of those who put their own flavour on things

HermanShake
    Free Member

Christianity does not get to own morality. I have issue with this principle.

Science additionally is the process of disproving variables to eliminate errors. it is not the blind agreement with theories of physics, chemistry and biology. The scientific community is built upon people disagreeing with each other to whittle down to as valid, reliable and repeatable a conclusion as possible. We are not a unified group, it’s full of ongoing debate and argument; which is good. Wars are not started in the name of science due to the lack of moral validation to do so.

To believe in science predominantly simply means you don’t like things to be made up and you like proven evidence. It does not mean we all agree on the same popular ideas.

Atheism (the opposite of theism, the belief in a god) is not just shrugging about religion but actively disagreeing with it.

I believe in 2 main rules; do unto others as you would have done unto you (either branded as the Golden Rule from Christianity, or in a simpler form; empathy). I also believe that you you should be free to do what you want, as long as it does not restrict someone (and to some extent something‘s) ability to do the same.

In short; be nice, cause no unnecessary harm. I also choose not to eat animals (see point 2) and try to live modestly in a sustainable way.

Religion has served as a means of offering social control, explanation and comfort to humans in difficult times. People have the burning “why?” question for any and everything and I feel religion can neatly extinguish this, leading to a lack of discovery. Children are incredible bundles of physical and mental potential, ready to experience as much as they can. This recedes as they find out there are ways and reasons to do things that are commonly agreed. I’m heading off on a tangent, for more see the vid at the end. The crux is that curiosity and exploration is integral to good things happening and the closing of this door is dangerous. Religion is not the only way the door gets nudged shut but it can be a big part of the process for some.

It has been interpreted as a means of giving some people the right to oppress and destroy in the name of a greater cause.

It’s no coincidence that sexism and religion are so strongly linked. God is viewed as male, as is Jesus. Eve was the bi-product of the first and perfect man (she was a spare rib, right?). She was also the cause for being booted out of the garden for eating healthily. Males are treated as forgiveable, females are punished disproportionately.

I key difference between the perspective of many religions and the scientific community is the starting point. Religion centres existence as stemming from the human experience, that we are the purpose of the physical world and all exists for our usage while in this plane. Science as a whole places us quite late in the game as a wonderful accident in an ongoing transformation of matter and energy (the same thing) that alters states through time. Consciousness is the bi-product of our physical development to enable us to have more control in the meeting of our physiological needs.

I’m not even starting on the vengeful acts of an all-loving superdaddy in the sky. I’d rather not believe in a neglectful all present sky wizard who has an ultimate purpose for all actions. His interventions in biblical times pale in comparison to the political events of the past century. You also can’t have a chosen people within a single group of God’s children. This paradox has been the cause of an incomprehensible amount of violence and death.

Religion has helped communities unite and work together, however I think in an age where information is abundant we no longer need to fill the gap.

Imagine if churches/mosques/synagogues etc were education centres and people actively wanted to learn something on a weekly basis, like a free university without a moral agenda?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U[/video]

piemonster

from crusades and jihads to homophobia and creationism, religions just seem a bastion of ignorance in the modern world

best avoid them imho

To be fair, Europe owes a significant debt to a certain religious society for handing down huge quantities of knowledge lost since Antiquity.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Many people find comfort in religion…could you get the same comfort if you don’t think there is a God?

anything is possible for humans but I assume the comfort comes from knowing there is a creator with a plan who loves us all and we will all live for ever in their kingdom with our dearly departed loved ones. I di have a non believing mate who likes the sense of community church gives him.

If you just try and live your life by their moral code – IMHO Its not that great in a ll respects see women and homosexuals- then I am not sure what comfort you would get tbh

Christians don’t strive to be good because they fear God

Vengeance is mine sayeth the lord -God kills a hell of a lot of people in the bible for not doing as god says and for not living your life by gods code there is a punishment.

Christianity does not teach that you go to hell if you sin. The concept of ‘hell’ is simply absence from the love of God.

right so if I sin and you dont then we both get good outcomes then?
    The Rich Man and Lazarus
    19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

Yes it does not mention hell at all- your statement is a contradiction you get punished if you dont love god – that punishment is hell

Really this one again- like we are the baddies and you just want to live your life unhindered by us forcing you to do as we say – its a distortion of reality to even suggest this.
    1. Why tell us whether homosexuals can marry- live and let live
    2. Why demand we have to have a daily act of religious worship in schools daily that is christian in nature- live and let live
    3. Power in the House of Lords

You dont want live and let live you want a special exalted place in society where you can instil your moral code on me/everyone even though I dont agree with it and have done for centuries to the extent that it was an offence to simply say I did not believe in god.

olddog

I think there are several aspects to

Firstly, religious belief is not required for morality in any means. Religion sets a moral framework if you are a believer, but so does society and individual belief. Whatever people like to think, the morality of our society is based on christian principles revised over time for more progressive and/or practical thinking. And the morality of religion can be out of step with modern thinking – CofE thinks homosexuality is immoral, a sin, but I have a feeling your average younger CoE believer does not share these views.

Secondly, mystcism is the core of christianity, death and rebirth, Jesus as the son of god, judgement and afterlife. I think non-christians (I’m an atheist) forget this as it is so far outwith our experience and understanding of life.

Finally, I do know people who don’t really buy into the full on mysticism side of religion but do go to church becuase they get comfort from the community, ritual and tradition. It is part of their identity.

I’ve thought about this a lot, and I do understand much about the spiritual/mystical aspects of religion, Christianity in particular, perhaps more than a lot of believers in an academic sense, but I still don’t get it. Ultimately I’m happy with my lack of faith, and there are some real negative and un-progessive aspects to christianity (and frightened people who use these as a way of trying to hold back society), but it is arguable that religion does provide benefits of comfort and stability to those who believe.

Anyway just my tuppenneth’s worth

roper
    Free Member

Just to clarify something on Buddhism.
    Buddhism is not a religion as the Buddha was not a God and he just suggested things. There are the precepts, similar to the 10 commandments, but you do not have to follow them and you do not sin if you break one. There is no concept of sin or evil, there is no god, just human behaviour.
    The Buddhas last words were supposedly, be a lamp unto yourselves. i.e find out for yourself.
    Some schools of Buddhism do have forms of Gods, like Tibetan Buddhism, but these tend to be cultural or historical aspects brought to Buddhism rather than necessary to be Buddhist. Also it is possible to be Christian, Jew atheist etcetera and also be a Buddhist.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Isn’t Christianity just jewish budhism?

Junkyard
    Free Member

RE morality argument its quite simple
    1. God choose morals on a whim and you just follow them blindly – would anyone argue this?
    2. God chose morals for a reason and anyone can see the reasons and follow a similar moral code

Neither atheism or faith somehow gives you a magnificent moral code
    FWIW the capacity of some christians to forgive is absolutely amazing and beyond anything I would be capable of so it i snot like eiether code is bad either.

olddog

Bhuddism is not a religion, becuase no God? Semantics?

It’s an ancient set of moral precepts and rituals based in mystcism with a concept of heaven. Monks, nuns, temples. Religion, no?

Macavity
    Free Member

The former Episcopal Bishop of Edinburgh Richard Holloway

nealglover
    Free Member

rather than because ( to use the cult in your example ) you think that there is a zombie flying carpenter who lives on a cloud who will let you be tortured for all eternity if you displease him ?

It’s really clever what you did there.
    Using terms like “flying zombie that lives on a cloud” etc.
    very clever and very original.

A really refreshing approach to religious debate 🙄

br
    Free Member

IMO you can be a ‘christian’ which is about morals and how you act to others and not believe in God, but not a ‘Christian’, which is about believing in God from a bible perspective.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Buddhism is not a religion as the Buddha was not a God and he just suggested things. There are the precepts, similar to the 10 commandments, but you do not have to follow them and you do not sin if you break one

Well you dont have to follow the 10 commandments to claim you are a christian but in reality you do. You dont sin but you are not helping yourself achieve nirvana by ignoring the path and the instructions- it is not as dogmatic as abrahamic faiths which i assume is your point.
    It is clearly a religion though not a western one.

There is no concept of sin or evil

Karma – It may not be called good and bad but it is basically good and bad.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I have some opinions, but I’m avoiding the naughty step because I’m notorious for, well – having them, apparently.

Carry on.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You can believe in that there was a dude called Jesus Christ without believing in god, sure. However, have you considered the fact that we have contemporary health safety and ethics professionals? (some of whom don’t unexplainedly talk to the sky. )

roper
    Free Member

The definition of religion is to follow or belive in a supernatural god or gods (or there abouts) so Buddhism is not a religion. There are no gods to follow.

Junkyard, I think you might be confusing a few words there.
    There is good and bad in Buddhism but no sin or evil. Sin and evil tend to be judgments, often with the power to punish by a god. In Buddhism there is no one to judge or punish in this way.
    Karma is not a person or supernatural being who can punish, blame or judge.
    The basics of Buddhism is to accept there is pain and suffering, then to try a reduce it. If you cause pain and suffering you will also experience it, Karma (a very basic description).

It’s an ancient set of moral precepts and rituals based in mysticism with a concept of heaven. Monks, nuns, temples. Religion, no?

Buddhism is more philosophy at its basic level. Cultures have added their own bits to suit, their own cultural understandings, like my Tibetan example, which can then lead it to a more Supernatural slant. Buddhism as a philosophy is forever changing and so is quite adaptable to cultures but the basic principles are not religious or necessarily ancient.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Can you be a Christian but not believe in God?’ is closed to new replies.