Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • can you adapt a normal speacialized disc hub for use with maxle?
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

hi guys real noob question i guess, and i cant seem to find the answers im looking for so thought id ask on here its a bit of a branching question really, firstly i have a rockhopper expert currently running a rs recon, was thinking of upgrading my fork and have been offered a 2007 domain 115 -180 with a 20mm maxle, questions are

1) is 115-180 to much travel for a rockhopper running trails like cannock chase sherwood pines etc, im thinking its probably more downhill travel?

2) does moving to a maxle require new hub or can a general hub be modified ?

thanks guys any help would be appreciated, thanks paulo6624

PJM1974
    Free Member

A Domain is far too much for a Rockhopper IMHO. The Rockhopper is designed around a 100mm fork (depending on the year), so you’d mess the geometry and potentially overstress the frame.

The Stout has changed a lot over the years, what year is your Rockhopper?

paulo6624
    Free Member

thanks for that, its actually a 2009 rockhopper expert, i thought it was probably to much but also thought it was a well priced for £90

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

Best to hang on to that Domain though, you might source a frame that’ll do it justice secondhand and make a proper DH/Freeride playbike.

paulo6624
    Free Member

nice thoiught thanks for your input, pjm

shedfull
    Free Member

The Specialized Stout QR hub on the Rockhopper is a cup and cone hub and you can’t even get spare cones for it. I’d either get another maxle hub and have it laced to the rim or sell your wheel and buy another with maxle hub fitted.

How about buying an On One 456 frame (new or used) and using the Sector fork in that, transferring nearly all of the bits off your Rockhopper then selling the rockhopper frame? The only bits that won’t transfer are the seat post and clamp. You’ll need some new gear cable and a spacer for the front mech for the narrower seat tube.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘can you adapt a normal speacialized disc hub for use with maxle?’ is closed to new replies.