Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • can you adapt a bike thats got a 135mm rear hub to take a 150mm hub?
  • alexstumpy11
    Free Member

Hi guys:)

just pulled a hope pro 2 out of the shed and turns out its shot so ive decided to buy another one… but im a bit confused about the 150mm & 135mm hub sizes! I just want to know what the advantages are of either? & is it easy to adjust a bike thats currently running a 135mm to run a 150mm hub?:)

thanks alot guys

Alex

alexstumpy11
    Free Member

just been reading and realised how much of a stupid question that was! lol 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

thank the Lord, you wouldn’t want folk hearing about this.

jamj1974

Ermm…. I have heard about this

alexstumpy11
    Free Member

lol, sorry guys! i didnt realise what the difference was! but ni just feel stupid…. haha:)

toys19
    Free Member

ignorance is not stupidity.

jamj1974

Nothing stupid about it. No such thing as an (honestly asked) stupid question.

Mugboo

So what is the difference? 😉

Northwind

Some frames will do it- Last Herb 140 frinstance, and I think some Intenses? But by and large, square peg round hole.

Duffer
    Free Member

Steel HT? Cold set (bend) it!

geetee1972
    Free Member

What’s the difference may be obvious but what’s the benefit is a whole other question.

Answer?

If it’s a Hope hub (and they aren’t alone) nothing. Not a bean. Zip.

150mm spacing was supposed to give us stronger rear wheels by virtue of having less dish (and it’s dishing the wheel that weakens it). But the stupid component manufacturers (yes you Hope among others) never made the flanges of their 150mm hubs any wider, they just extended the ends a bit thereby negating the whole reason for having a 150mm hub. I can only think they did this because it’s cheaper than going to the effort of making them properly.

There are 150mm hubs on the market that do widen the flanges, Hadley are one example, I think CK do as well as some other makes.

and I think some Intenses?

Some Intense frames are cross compatible, but you need to change the whole drop out (which is expensive on Intense’s system); it’s something like £150 IIRC.

Northwind

Aye… I remember finding that out when I was shopping for Slopestyles- I wanted 135mm but loads had the wrong dropouts for me, and it was going to cost a bomb to sort.

bruneep

neallyman
    Free Member

I was shopping for Slopestyles- I wanted 135mm but loads had the wrong dropouts for me

slopestyles have 135mm rear ends

Northwind

Nope, the slopestyle 1 had the interchangable dropouts. SS2 only does 135.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC Sheldon’s tests showed that dishless hubs weren’t significantly stronger/stiffer than normally dished ones.

kimbers

i thought that 150mm rear helped with wider bottom brackets (83mm) chainline , and wider (q factor??) means more stable?

geetee1972
    Free Member

i thought that 150mm rear helped with wider bottom brackets (83mm) chainline , and wider (q factor??) means more stable?

I though that was another feature as well, but I can’t say it ever really made a difference. My first DH bike (an original Demo Eight) had a 73mm shell and my second one had an 83mm shell and I couldn’t feel any difference in ‘stance’ although it might not be something you feel so much as benefit from one.

Orange went back to 135mm on the 224 because they couldn’t see any benefit from the wider rear.

alexstumpy11
    Free Member

thanks for all the answers guys! stupid question well answered! lol 🙂

have any of you guys got a 135mm hope pro 2 rear hub you want to flog?:)

thanks again

Alex

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘can you adapt a bike thats got a 135mm rear hub to take a 150mm hub?’ is closed to new replies.